Not doing the main quest...alternate reality version

JeremeW5257

I've played the normal version a couple of times and now have moved on to an alternate reality experience. The main quest line is disabled and there are no dragons. To increase the immersion, I'm not fast traveling...which I thought would make for a boring game, but it actually makes it a lot better. My question is this...how do you become Thane of Whiterun without the main quest line? You are granted the title after defeating the dragon that attacked the city. I don't care about the title, but I want Lydia as a follower. I can spawn here with console commands, but I'm trying to play the game without console cheats...which is tempting, but rewarding.

Anyone else experience this situation?

You can Marry Lidia, if you choose, but the marriage thing in Skyrim is nothing really special at all, it takes 5 secs to be married and your wife/husband leaves right in the middle of the Preists speech. No ring ceremony at all they just get up and leave the temple, but Lidia is the only Housecarl you get from killing the dragon, and you will not get her until you are named Thane of Whiterun from killing the dragon and being allowed to buy Breezehome in Whiterun. Lidia is not the only annoying remark you get from a housecarl Iona has this, Why did we stop attitude. You get Iona from doing around 5 quests in Riften from arround 5 different NPC's.

You can Marry Lidia, if you choose, but the marriage thing in Skyrim is nothing really special at all, it takes 5 secs to be married and your wife/husband leaves right in the middle of the Preists speech. No ring ceremony at all they just get up and leave the temple, but Lidia is the only Housecarl you get from killing the dragon, and you will not get her until you are named Thane of Whiterun from killing the dragon and being allowed to buy Breezehome in Whiterun. Lidia is not the only annoying remark you get from a housecarl Iona has this, Why did we stop attitude. You get Iona from doing around 5 quests in Riften from arround 5 different NPC's.

By default (ie: with no console tweakage) Lydia is un-marriable.

I've played the normal version a couple of times and now have moved on to an alternate reality experience. The main quest line is disabled and there are no dragons. To increase the immersion, I'm not fast traveling...which I thought would make for a boring game, but it actually makes it a lot better. My question is this...how do you become Thane of Whiterun without the main quest line? You are granted the title after defeating the dragon that attacked the city. I don't care about the title, but I want Lydia as a follower. I can spawn here with console commands, but I'm trying to play the game without console cheats...which is tempting, but rewarding.

Anyone else experience this situation?

I admire the work and time that you are putting into the game to make it as immersive as possible. I have recently started doing the exact same thing. I have two main characters that travel the lands and are pretty much combat oriented. If there is any place that I have to go I will either travel there by horse/foot, or take a carriage ride there and back. I installed the Expensive Travel mod so that wagon rides now cost either 150 or 200 based on where I go. Now I am waiting on a good needs mod to come out to finish up most of my wants. The rest is pretty much weapon/armor mods, or quest mods from there on out.

Also, like you, I have only one character that is the "Dovakiin" where as my Battlemage style character is just living in the time of the return of dragons and tries to survive as best as he can. I will never finish the main quest with him. Ever :thumbsup:

Well that's pretty much the run-down on how I play.

Cheers,

-Elsarian

I've already player through the game 5-6 times and know how to get each of the housecarls. This is my first run through without doing the main quest, and I really need a place to store my "stuff". I have 2 followers that help with the carrying part, but would like a house to stock pile ignots and crafting materials, since the vendors don't always have what I need. I guess I'll marry Ysolda, so I can use her house. I've acquired Drela's house, but it can get tiresome walking back and forth to Whiterun every time I need something from the store. It all adds to the alternate reality experience, and I'm not is a hurry to get anywhere, but I do like to upgrade my armor and weapons often...gives me something to look forward to. Getting "one hit" killed by bandits gets old. There's so much you miss by just fast traveling from one mission to the next.

Also, kudos to the WARS IN SKYRIM mods...makes the "getting there" experience worth while. Walking through the woods with only the occasional bear or wolf attacking you can get boring. Using the WARS mod makes it seem like a real hostile environment, plus it gives you 10x the amount of "loot" you can sell.