Morrowind Code Patch & Morrowind Patch Project

danielc

I've used both in the past - and with all respect to Balakirev; I have found in the past that the various "add-on" programmes that are designed to make Morrowind "better" just do not work together. For instance I have used this programme as well as Morrowind Graphics Extender and a good few others.

On their own they ar OK, but I have found that if you combine them with any of the other programmes, you risk problems. for instance I started with Morrowind, then as they were issued, I had Tribunal and Bloodmoon. Those extra programmes didn't work for me then and still don't now I have the GOTY!

You have to remember that Morrowind (and the various add-ons) were the first of the Elder Scrolls series to be put onto Windows did not have good graphics, what they did have were good storylines - and plenty of them: the first versions were all on MS-DOS - the precursor to Windows [not only that but you had to remember ALL the file-names as well].

[

I've used both in the past - and with all respect to Balakirev; I have found in the past that the various "add-on" programmes that are designed to make Morrowind "better" just do not work together. For instance I have used this programme as well as Morrowind Graphics Extender and a good few others.

MGE is not a patch, not by the teams who did MCP or MPP, nor intended to fix any bugs. It is an attempt at creating a centralized upgrading system for graphics, and has been notably problematic for many users over the years.  Some swear by it, others, at it. But it has no relation to the couple of patches being discussed, and it wouldn't do to confused one mod with another. Some mods conflict. Some mods don't. It pays to find out in advance which are which.

Those extra programmes didn't work for me then and still don't now I have the GOTY!

I can understand that if you have installation issues with the two most respected, always recommended patches in Morrowind, you would be annoyed. But the best way to deal with this is to get assistance in the official forums, rather than trash the patches. You'll find a lot of people willing to help. And getting them properly installed only makes sense. The MCP not only deals with dozens of bugs, it also eliminates several major instances of saved game corruption, while the MPP fixes several hundred bugs left untouched by Bethsoft. These are perfectly safe. Again, don't take out your frustration by dissing two patches that are universally recommended in the Morrowind community to solve many issues. :)

You have to remember that Morrowind (and the various add-ons) were the first of the Elder Scrolls series to be put onto Windows did not have good graphics, what they did have were good storylines - and plenty of them: the first versions were all on MS-DOS - the precursor to Windows [not only that but you had to remember ALL the file-names as well]

Morrowind received critical and popular raves for its graphics upon release: a fact that can still be checked by a look at the contemporary reviews remaining online. It wasn't the storyline and quest systems that grabbed most people--though the latter in particular were excellent t--but the depth of immersion in a seemingly free-and-open environment. Which isn't to say that you can't like the story, or dislike the graphics; but it's good to be accurate about these things. Personally, I still think the graphics hold up well, and think it best not to replace them with various smaller texture mods until one's played for a while and decided if they're sufficient. But that's just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...