• 3/10
    • 4/10
    • 5/10
    • 6/10
    • 7/10
    • 8/10
    • 9/10
    • 10/10

I don't know about you, but visiting the Bethesda site these days makes me sick to my stomach. I love Beth as much as the next gamer, but since Skyrim came out they seem to be up-their-own-****s with all the hype and kudos they're getting from reviewers. Given all the bugs the community has experienced, not to mention the haphazard patches, I think it's about time that we the gamers gathered some honest data for their QA guys to munch on.

So I ask you, the gamers: how would you rate your gameplay experience with Skyrim, as compared to some of your other favourite titles? Because if we believe the official reviews, this game knocks every other RPG out of the water. And I, for one, just can't accept that.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give it a 7 out of a possible 10 simply because they gave us a broken game, with broken, messed up, patches after that. However, even amidst all the bugs, I still believe that Bethesda has put out a quality product that was well worth my $60. I went to the midnight release at my local gamestop, got the game, and have been playing ever since. I love Skyrim, even in it's buggy form, I support the game. But that doesn't mean I won't have opinions and complaints. Not everyone can be satisfied of course.

In the future, Bethesda will get more money from me through their DLC, Expansions, and so on. I am more than willing to pay for that stuff. But like I said, there is room for complaint. Now though, I think that the game has gotten a lot better due to there already being a good amount of mods out there to fix the game, improve performance, textures, models, and so on. Plus, ever since the 1.2 patch nightmare, I do believe that the updates have been getting better. Today I got the 1.4 beta from steam and it works flawlessly. The only mod conflict I had was with Skyboost. I am currently waiting on that to be updated.

All in all, skyrim is a great game. If it didn't have such a rocky and annoying start, it would have gotten a much higher rating from me.

-Elsarian

To be honest, with today's aggressive marketing I think every game is over-hyped. Skyrim was indeed a fine example with it's live-action trailer that gave no clue whatsoever as to what the actual game would look and play like. Before that, we had the Fallout New Vegas ad that was nothing more than a snippet from the game's intro video, again giving almost no indication whatsoever as to what the actual game might be like. And then there was... ah, nevermind; you get the idea...

To be honest, with today's aggressive marketing I think every game is over-hyped. Skyrim was indeed a fine example with it's live-action trailer that gave no clue whatsoever as to what the actual game would look and play like. Before that, we had the Fallout New Vegas ad that was nothing more than a snippet from the game's intro video, again giving almost no indication whatsoever as to what the actual game might be like. And then there was... ah, nevermind; you get the idea...

I can completely agree with that. Very well put, Herculine.

I think I got my money's worth.

I won't disagree with that statement. I've put in over 200 hours on the game and easily 100+ writing the script for my upcoming mod. My issue is really with how the game stands up when compared with other TES titles in the past - but other gamers will have had different experiences, which is why I put out this poll.

For the record, I gave it a 7.

6 of 10 on reflection. It's funny that, for me, Skyrims score over time is a decreasing function. With the previous two TES titles this was not the case. My opinion of those games remained the same even after I had 'played them out'.

Skyrim is not particularly outstanding in any aspect. It follows the same TES sandbox design except the game mechanics have been trimmed out to the barest bone in this title. As a longtime RPGer perhaps this has a lot to do with my bemusement. But wait, there's more! No really, there is. The 'new' game engine turns out to be nothing more than a further iteration of the old and tired Gamebryo vehicle. The graphical quality (I play with all settings at maximum) is subpar by the standards of today. It would have been acceptable, not great, but acceptable, two years ago. Also the game was clearly developed for consoles first and personal computers second, or even as an after thought. This is evident in the many low resolution textures (5122? Seriously), rendering shortcuts, and terrible UI. The quest lines for the guilds are, for the most part, abrupt and unconvincing. They strain the suspension of disbelief too much and easily break the immersion for the roleplayer - the multiple absurdities have been picked over time and again so that everyone is familiar with them and I do not have to reiterate them here. The radiant quests are anything but intelligent. They are all of the go to x, do y, profit variety. There is a set number of these quests; they are predefined and are dull and shallow without storylines to go with them. The radiant quests are not in themselves a problem for the imaginative roleplayer playing in his/her sandbox, but remember they're claiming this is a proper RPG competing with story driven titles like The Witcher 2. Then there's the myriad of game-breaking bugs that have plagued Dovakhiins the around the world, both from launch and introduced by 'patches'. Clearly plain old playability (as in can I play the game without something seriously breaking) does not factor into reviewers scores. The last thing I'll mention is the mandatory Steam use. To paraphrase the CEO of Paradox games: requiring an internet connection to play seems like 2003. Yes there are work arounds to play offline, legal ones mind you, but why should the consumer who bought a hardcopy be required to jump through such hoops? What is the purpose? It is obviously ineffective at combating piracy if that's the intent. This unholy coupling with Steam foists unwanted patches on consumers, patches that break more than they fix, and what's more, if gossip is to be believed, is responsible for holding up the release of the creation kit while another unwanted coupling with Steam is completed that will see the CK bound up with Steam - no matter that you don't have to use it.

TL;DR: Acceptable visuals for 3 years ago. Gutted game mechanics. Abrupt and bareboned quest lines for guilds. Radiant quests are not intelligent. Horrible console port is horrible. Bug ridden. Steaming nuisances.

Lest someone thinks me a troll for "bashing" (or more appropriately, expressing frustration)... Simply put: too many promises went unkept, my trust for Bethesda's been shattered. Skyrim is just another game in my library. Edited by NordicMist