• 3/10
    • 4/10
    • 5/10
    • 6/10
    • 7/10
    • 8/10
    • 9/10
    • 10/10

I honestly expected them to fix the problems that plagued Oblivion while introducing new twists to the Elder Scrolls series. I did not expect them to gut the character class/creation/leveling system. Revamp yes, but not completely remove major aspects of it. Everything I got that isn't tied to character creation is what I thought we would see. I was a bit disappointed in the quest lines a bit, but that's not a game breaker for me. The fact that you don't even have a character sheet is what is most disappointing to me.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that you don't even have a character sheet is what is most disappointing to me.
I actually really like this idea of no spreadsheets. Im not fond of classical D&D style. D&D is a system that overcomes the limitations of "pen and paper", in videogames, those limitations are not there, so no sense to apply character sheets.

Thats why i despise NWNish games. Totally out of place in such interactive environment as videogames. Wich is something that Beth realized along the road and one of the reasons that i liked every game they made since i bought Oblivion six years ago.

That said, the limitations that some devs imposed on their games by following D&D style RPGs made them focus on compelling, detailed stories and characters. Nevertheless, Obsidian made a point with FONV, that you can have an open world game with deep storylines and characters if you want it.

Edited by eltucu

I give it an 8 that will undoubtedly become a 9 or 10 once the modders get their hands on the CK and fill up the empty spaces and whatever else their creative minds come up with. I agree though that it was over-hyped however pretty much every AAA game that comes out these days is overhyped. At least it wasn't another Duke Nukem Forever. I agree that the live action trailer didn't tell you anything about the game other than 'hey, it's got dragons in it and you play the dragon-killing hero' which we already knew but I'll admit it... I loved the live-action trailer. I don't care that it didn't tell me anything about the game that I didn't already know. It made me want a movie. Yeah, yeah, lame, I know. :blush:

Could it have done with a better PC version? Hell, yes. Could it have done with a little bit more development time to iron out a few of the more glaringly hideous bugs? Definitely even though I've been lucky and haven't hit most of them. Could we have done with a little more care and a little less rush with the first few patches? Yes. Could some of the questlines have been a bit more involved and complex? Well, yes, but I think there is a bit of a robbing Peter to pay Paul going on there. They have a development timeline. Do they spend more time making more complex questlines and less time making the world? You could argue quite legitimately either way depending on your gaming tastes.

Fundamentally, it comes down to this - there's no game that comes out perfect these days. I don't think that's ever happened. There are always bugs. There are always problems. The nature of programming. It comes down to how you look at things - do you see the flaws first and then the good stuff or the good stuff first and then the flaws? That's going to determine what kind of gaming experience you have. Also the bugs. Whether or not you hit the bugs tips into that too.

7/10

Because the game itself is solid work, and I have yet to meet too many bugs. But it does lack a certain depth in mechanism, and they somehow managed to break the game even more by removing stuff that were suppose to balance it out ( spell making, as an example). Then there is the fact that the game is build for pre-40, as seen on magic. After that you either go melee, or you go home.

The guild quest are also pitifull. Becoming an Archmage merely hour after playing is not fun.

Otherwise it's a fun game with decent graphics, gave me 140 houres of playtime.

So for your question, was it over hyped?

Yes, yes it was.

I was expecting more progress in the game/play after so many years.

The game is beutifully crafted, but it feels for me more like a testing ground, plenty of things let the player in expectation, just to fall back on the old oblivionish system.

One thing i was always missing in skyrim was depth, this game basicaly screams for it at every corner, i never felt like someone even though i was the leader of many guilds.

Elvinkun summerized it good in another thread, when he said "The game always reminds you of being a game".

While playing i never encountered any major bugs, maybe some minor things, got my first crash i think after 80 hours of playing and that was probably caused by a mod.

7/10 for me.

I was expecting this sandbox game to bring me some type of satifaction. This was the first game I have played that did not do that. Skyrim feels like an incomplete mmo but without a community or end-game content their is nothing challenging about the game. No challenge level for players that have maxed some of their perks. Master level difficult is to easy, 1-2 shot everything, 4shot Aldiun the final boss. It is a massive map with a ton of things to explore but why explore at all? Nothing I have found was rewarding 1-2 shot the enemies in the cave, hear about what they have done, loot crap to sell, realize that their is no point in looting items when you have 200k gold and nothing to buy.

It has a lot of issues: bugs, economy, scaling. It should not have won goty, Dark souls/Arkham city have more rewarding gameplay than this. Only thing that stops my from giving this game a lower score are the mods. Odd that modders are improving the game more so than Bethesda. Vanilla skyrim 6/10 with mods 8/10.

Edited by aguliondew

Hmm... I'd give it a 7/10, but that may be deceptive. By my scale, 7 is above average, with 5 being average. 10 is perfect, but only in the sense that the game in question is a high expression of its genre. As I've said before, Skyrim is a decent game, but not very good as an RPG. (See this post for what that means.)

I voted 9 but after reading through all the responses you people reminded me of some things. So I'll delete my vote and vote again.

---------------------------

Things I liked.

-exploring

-searching for words of power

-clearing out dungeons (see complain No1)

-smithing; and in particular looking for materials and only smith something if you have found your ingots

-two hands idea; the fact that you can dual wield magic/magic magic/sword or sword/sword is something very appealing to me

-fighting dragons (also see complain No1)

-perks; (see complain 5)

Things I didn't like

-leveling; I mean at level 56 nothing can defeat my warrior if I use the best stuff I have. I have to use orcish armor and orcish weapons (I'm an orc you see) so that the game is a bit challenging. I don't want to increase difficulty because in a moment everything will be so powerful compared than before. It breaks my immersion. All of a sudden: "oh! The crabs are so strong!!!"

-lack of character class; how can there be no strength in an rpg? I mean how can there be an rpg with no strength? I mean..... NO STRENGTH????? Or other attributes anyway

-small guild questlines; at least the dark brotherhood, the companions and the mages guild that I've played and I'm sure thieves guild is the same

-glitched quests/bugs in general; I haven't seen game breaking bugs/glitches though. Except for Esbern's voice not working

-unbalanced skills/perks; I understand that one though. They couldn't possibly have enough time to test every one of 18 skills and see how they level up (fast or slowly) and how good or useless the perks of each are

-Console friendly UI; although I understand that one too. I mean of all the sales 86% were on consoles and the remaining 14% were on PC.

I'd give it a 7 after being reminded of some things and after 100+ hours of gameplay. Thank god we can mod stuff we don't like!

Above all, money matters most to big game-making companies. Why would they care for PC at all? We pirate their games a lot more than consoles. I mean Crysis (a game exclusive for PC when it came out) was pirated 15 times for every one game sold. Crysis 2 was the highest pirated game of 2011 with 4 mil downloads!! Why shouldn't they just abandon us? What have we done to deserve their attention?

Anyway I digress let's not spam this thread.

edit: the top pirated game for xbox360 was Gears Of War 3 with..... 890,000 downloads!! In comparison to Crysis 2 PC version with 4 million downloads!

Edited by babis8142