Is there any way to get custom sized paper for printing?

darkmage64

First off, I would ask what size are you talking about? It is possible, but can be pricey because you may have to purchase the sheets and have them custom cut to size. Newsprint stock used to be available in large sheets that could be cut to order. Most of all it will depend on the weight of the stock you want, plain, uncoated, coated, etc so you would have to look at that as well. Some shops would require a 'minimum' order of stock, as an example, 100 sheet minimum, so keep that in mind. I have been out of the business for a while so where you would get paper stock is the question. Office Depot has printing centers now, they might be able to order some stock, or there still might be shops that still sell printing supply's / paper stock. Guess that would depend on where you live.

I have a large format printer that I use and I can print up to 11.7 X 16.5, and those sheets are readily available in a variety of finishes but it won't handle newsprint stock because of the lite weight of the paper. Again, that size of paper is expensive but readily available. You also have to keep in mind, what size can your printer handle? I'm guessing that you want to print some items yourself and some printers can handle larger formats but not all.

In short, yes you can...but it could be pricey. Hope this helps. Not all paper is equal, so good luck with your project. :thumbsup:

One last bit...keep this in mind. What you see on your screen isn't what you will get when you print, meaning you will have some waste when you print until you get a good result.

@darkmageSixFour

indeed... I'd also like to have more info on the hypothetical so as to answer your question more usefully hehe.

I don't want to pry into the specifics of your project itself, just a general overview of what you're envisioning so as I only return useful info.

are you trying to make a prop newspaper 1:1, for cosplaying? Cosplayers may be able to help you put you in touch with wherever they got their prop newspaper.

are you making a cardboard cutout?

are you trying to make a tabletop map? hobby cartographers may be able to put you in touch with map-makers.

a blueprint to trace onto something or to build around? - panelbeaters, 3D rap-fab and custom vehicle makers or aircraft makers will often make a 1:1 paper blueprint for custom builds;

they know paper people who'll do once offs at a reasonable price.

Scott McCloud has some ideas on how to print various projects on an A4 or A3 printer...

and on the different finishes of paper/image techniques.

Art Spiegelman also has some great ideas. Ross Watkins' free public lecture on 'anatomy of a dying industry - print media"

and Marv Wolfman's "Makin' Comics/History of Comics" also contain a lot of ideas.

It is possible to fold an A0 with press-folds, and print those segments if your Printer Tolerances permit it.

you get a heavy object after ruling it flat; this compresses the A0 foolscap or larger to near acceptable tolerances.

the creases though will be weaker... most printers have a feed torsional limit of 210GSM

and have a material thickness limit of 1.5 times cardstock, or 4 A4 sheets together....

how do I know this? I may dabble elsewhere in printing tabletop maps etc.

another way, is to break up your project into A4 segments, and print and join those.

cello-tape is a typical method

you then adhese these panels to your larger print paper stock.

once you apply laminating or clear-contact to your image, it becomes much more durable.

this also applies to larger OHT transparency films and mixed media decoupage.

it will depend on your glues and on your inks as to how you achieve the final layering...

if you want a large complex print project, these have to be genuinely CBYMK'd to spec at your printer and print-readied,

usually in Adobe In-Design format or some other file format.

it has to account for bleed gutters and deadspace and tolerances...

there are then 3rd party printers who will print some content to banners or on large foolscap and large media.

the more 3rd parties you involve, the more those folks'll stick their nose into things and worry themselves about infudging and risk...

If your project is like a sail-sign or larger than about 5ft dia,

then you'll want to consider getting it made as a banner or sail/marquee instead.

A great example of that, is in James Bond Tomorrow Never Dies - that huge skyscraper sequence, is 007 ruining a really expensive banner.

I hope this gives some ideas for approaches anyhow,

good luck making your real-world project