Whats actually good about Skyrim?

jonnyeah

The mudcrabs, I totally love Skyrim mudcrabs, they bring out a Morrowind feeling. Well, I like the quests too, makes me feel useful taking all those items from someone and delivering them to someone else, not seldom at the other side of the map, who needs the courier?

Now, about the civil war, I know there is one in the game but I never saw it, seriously, after something around 15 or 20 characters made till now for the game not even one ever started the civil war. What makes me wonder who indeed mess everything. Some blame the Empire, some blame Ulfric but I'm pretty sure it is the dragonborn the culprit and experience seems to prove it. Till then, these two pinhead sides are glad enough exchanging insults and a brawl here other there and that is it. Actually this brings a sense of purpose...

The dragons, ahh the dragons are great... well, at least they are big. Luckily some good people have made something for them so they are not anymore prey of frostbite spiders or anything else able to ranged attack or when stupid enough to land at mudcrab's reach. Now I feel the creeps when hearing the hoar coming from above and don't miss cliff racers anymore.

On the other side, is wonderful everyone seems to have so short term memory that is dubious they have any memory, short or otherwise, unless you kill their chickens. Once I saw a guard afire in a dragon attack and even then he had time to "wow wow wow, beware that magic" while I dutifully tried to bring down or lure out the beast doing it to him.

Still, some things in the game make complete sense. For example the prerequisite of being shoot in the knee (arrows seen to be the favored method) to be deemed apt to serve the hold's guard. This came from hard experience with guards fleeing the post after the first sight of dragons, now they still may try but in the end must resort to fight back.

I could fill pages and pages of reasons I love the game, but let's not bore the reader any more than already did. See ya.

Edited by nosisab

thesapien:

Actually, it's a fairly decent forum for it. While it may have it's share of Beth fanboiz, it also has a good deal of modders who actually pay attention to the game they're playing (something reviewers don't seem to do anymore).

So your depression and cry for help stems from your self loathing of fanboys who will over play a game because you can't find anything better to do? If the game is so bad, why keep playing? Why are you crawling back for a slap in the face (as you put it)?

So your depression and cry for help stems from your self loathing of fanboys who will over play a game because you can't find anything better to do? If the game is so bad, why keep playing? Why are you crawling back for a slap in the face (as you put it)?

I'm not sure where you've gotten the idea that I'm somehow depressed, or self loathing, or a fanboy who's overplayed the game. Then again, your first sentence was a grammatical travesty, so I'm really not sure what you meant. Also not sure how I could keep playing, seeing as I haven't touched it in since a week after release.

What I did ask for however, was for insight into what people find enjoyable about Skyrim. I personally got bored with it rather quickly, leaving the rather large possibility there were rather enjoyable bits I hadn't seen.

Seeing as your being rather offensive about this all, I would assume you have been playing for the last three months straight, and would welcome any insight you may have.

Leveling up is no longer the mess that it was in Oblivion, the graphics and the gameworld are greatly improved IMO, combine them with a good ENB to increase immersion particularly with regards to dungeons and nights, the music and sounds are fine as is. Played a Nord Battlemage first playthrough, heavy armor, one handed, destruction magic, etc, friend to the Companions, enemy of the Thieves guild. This time around its a Breton Thief/assassin, light armor, archery, sneak, etc, next time it might be an Orc Beserker or Wizardly Mage, the sky is the limit and with the arrival of the CK even that will change.

If I start to get bored with gameplay I delve into modding my game (I spent days trying to perfect an ENB to my liking) editting images for the Nexus image share, or perusing the forums related to the game, so yeah a game like this is the best bang for the buck for someone like me as opposed to most games that I play for a few weeks and then lose interest in. Yes the UI is terrible, yes Bethesda is a company out to make money, no Im not a fanboy, given a choice of what to do with my free time this winter I will gladly spend it in Skyrim chasing elk across the frozen tundra as a vampire in my skivvies for no good reason other than I can and its fun for me and I understand that may not be everyones idea of a good time although personally I dont see why not. :psyduck:

Cheers

Edited by Jupitus

I can't muster up the ambition to start it up though, because I'm left with horrible memories of bland repetitive dribble. So in hopes of some sort of motivational slap to the face (or calming whispers that I'm not jaded by memories of instantly enjoyable games), I've decided to ask the Nexus. So Nexus, I ask you, what actually is good about Skyrim?

To me it sounds as you really don't like the game. Making this thread unnecessary as nothing we say are going to change your opinion about Skyrim. And why are you asking other people to change your taste?

Waste of thread-space and my and other peoples time replying to it.

Wow, OP, and many others, I tire so much of how f***ing negative and black & white you and some others think. I think it's pretty ridiculous that you make a thread asking people to tell you what's good about the game... if you can't think of it on your own, I suggest you play another game. Good hell.

@ OP I am enjoying Skyrim but I did not find it as addictive as Fallout and Oblivion. I think it lacks characters and the stories are rushed and some are implausible, (although to be fair I have only completed about 50% of the game so far.)

I do think it is worth giving it another try though as I have found most of the enjoyment in the game stems from just exploring, roleplaying and all the random events that happen in game. So if you do decide to get into it again I would advise leaving the main questlines alone for a while and just do the little things that make this game good. Explore the world do some side quests, experiment with the new mods that are coming out and set a backround for your character, roleplay and just mess around really.