Whats actually good about Skyrim?

jonnyeah

to answer the question:

Graphics (all of it from animations to models and the gorgeous world).

Combat.

Werewolves.

Crafting.

Companions (not the guild)

Snow yay !

The Bad:

Short guild questlines

Vampires suck even more (lore wise) and they have no intention of ever adding violent feed or aging/blood points or so it would seem, or bringing back clans. (dont worry modders will do it eventually)

Less Inmersion (feels too mainstream, too much like a game all the time)

Still i like it way more than any other game in the past 2 years or so, such is the beauty of an open world (for those of us who enjoy that kinda thing).

Edited by Wraithofdoom

With the CK due to be out in the next week to three months, I've decided it's time to give Skyrim another shot. I can't muster up the ambition to start it up though, because I'm left with horrible memories of bland repetitive dribble. So in hopes of some sort of motivational slap to the face (or calming whispers that I'm not jaded by memories of instantly enjoyable games), I've decided to ask the Nexus.

So Nexus, I ask you, what actually is good about Skyrim?

It really depends what you are looking for, people new to the series might feel the game deserves 10/10 and i cant really berate it to them, while some of the veterans playing beths games for years are dissapointed.

Well Im new to TES and I was very much disappointed. Somehow they managed to forget everything they learned from doing Fallout 3 and overseeing New Vegas. The quests and characters are all terrible.

What actually is good about Skyrim?

Let's see. You've got flying mammoths, flying horses, NPC's falling from the sky, dragons flying backwards (I believe only on PS3), skeleton gliches, giants running a space program, quest bugs, texture gliches and ocasionally your character turns into rainbow colors. You gotta love those things, they make Bethesda games special.

As for what's good, it doesn't require ArchiveInvalidation. And Mai'q the Liar is still good, although not as funny as he used to be.

I think they failed at Mai'q the Liar in Skyrim...

Like the other peeps said just play a different game until...a month after the CK is out.

Wow, OP, and many others, I tire so much of how f***ing negative and black & white you and some others think. I think it's pretty ridiculous that you make a thread asking people to tell you what's good about the game... if you can't think of it on your own, I suggest you play another game. Good hell.

Reading my mind again, are we?

Agreed, nate.

Sometimes I think this forum should be renamed from "General Discussion" to "General Complaining".

Right now we have 3 threads on the front page complaining about stuff.

I'm sorry people, but calling a company "Bugthesda" is just plain offensive. Without them, there wouldn't be any ES games at all.

If you have such gigantic problems with Skyrim that you can't even come up with a single good thing in it, go play modded Morrowind, you know, the ES game, made by "Bugthesda".

Wow, OP, and many others, I tire so much of how f***ing negative and black & white you and some others think. I think it's pretty ridiculous that you make a thread asking people to tell you what's good about the game... if you can't think of it on your own, I suggest you play another game. Good hell.

Reading my mind again, are we?

Agreed, nate.

Sometimes I think this forum should be renamed from "General Discussion" to "General Complaining".

Right now we have 3 threads on the front page complaining about stuff.

I'm sorry people, but calling a company "Bugthesda" is just plain offensive. Without them, there wouldn't be any ES games at all.

If you have such gigantic problems with Skyrim that you can't even come up with a single good thing in it, go play modded Morrowind, you know, the ES game, made by "Bugthesda".

I'm trying to find the logic behind this but it eludes me.

If I were to call McDonalds 'McFat' in allusion to their fatty foods I would be 'being offensive' and should go eat at Subway? That's not even wrong. It's just a vacuous dismissal of a valid criticism.

Why do you, and others, feel the need to complain about the complaints? You have no argument, nothing to bring to the table. All you're doing is fanning flame wars for whatever reason you think you have. It's not helpful.

Well Im new to TES and I was very much disappointed. Somehow they managed to forget everything they learned from doing Fallout 3 and overseeing New Vegas. The quests and characters are all terrible.

I think so too, but i had plenty of fun on my first and second play, even though i never finished them....i was captured by the beutifull world they created...people just need to get some rest from the game, i realized it after some time and simply done it.

Edited by pavy

I'm trying to find the logic behind this but it eludes me.

If I were to call McDonalds 'McFat' in allusion to their fatty foods I would be 'being offensive' and should go eat at Subway? That's not even wrong. It's just a vacuous dismissal of a valid criticism.

Why do you, and others, feel the need to complain about the complaints? You have no argument, nothing to bring to the table. All you're doing is fanning flame wars for whatever reason you think you have. It's not helpful.

I'm trying to prevent flame wars. It's not helpful to start topics like these which are based only about complaining.

Like I said in many other topics before this one, at least give the modders and/or Beth good ideas on how to improve the game, some constructive criticism.

Saying "I cannot find anything good about this picture", and then leaving won't do much good now will it?

Also, I don't like to argue about who's right and who's wrong, so please no replies if you intend to do that. We've got different opinions of things and I can't change yours just like you can't change mine. (Not pointed directly at anyone)

I'm just trying to make people see that criticism doesn't do any good.

jeez guys it's not like we paid for the service offered by Bethesda................. wait...

i don't know why people are all in the OP's face about this, Nexusmods is a modding community, a community to improve the series, where else would be more appropriate and constructive for Skyrim criticism?

to get back on tracks: what's motivating me to get back into Skyrim is designing new characters and new stories, good luck TS!

I don't understand. What is Beth "leaving up to modders"? This game blows away most games right out of the box. A big part of the sales was on the consoles too. Consoles aren't using mods.

Now some pc users may have bought the game with the intention of getting mods (or maybe even more specifically mods made by the creation kit). But that's an extra benefit. The game can obviously stand on its own without mods, as it does on consoles. What's good about Skyrim? Have you read any review in the past 2 months? Seriously. Nothing in the game feels anymore repetitive than any other game I've played: New Vegas, Arkham City, Dragon Age 2. The only bugs I've had were due to the exe not being 4gb aware.

This isn't a multiplayer game or MMO. The story does eventually come to an ending... I really don't get what people are irritated about. It would be a damn sad few years in the gaming industry without Skyrim lol.

What's good about Skyrim?

The game looks amazing--Oh wait, nope. I had to mod it all to make it look like a PC game.

The magic system i--Nope. Had it mod it all.

The fighting system is good. Even if it's a pain in the butt to switch out duel wield

We have dragons! Those are fun to one shot.

The crafting system is nice! If only they spent some time to actually balance it...

There's a lot of good quests thrown about.

Dialogues are deep and thorough. (Sorry, bad joke)

You can see the consequences to your actions throughout the entire game! I was actually rumored of helping some natives out of Markuth!

There's like 100+ Voice actors now! Yeah, that random NPC may sound exactly like the Arch Mage and that bandit may sound like the bandit next to him who also sounds like the store clerk in the next town, but you better believe that there will be no duplicates of the Jarl voices!

Hmm...what else is good about Skyrim?

Oh, you can spend at least 100 hours just trying to find that darn knee-capper. I swear I saw him once in the mountains but a snow storm blocked my vision :(

Don't get me wrong, Skyrim was a great game, but I found no reason to play it past one character (I quit about 17 hours into my second. 150 hours total). I played her very specialized in hopes of keeping the other options out there, but even with doing that, I felt like I experienced all Skyrim had to offer even though I've only finished the Mage's guild (in terms of major questlines) and a few Daedra shrines with some miscellaneous quests thrown about.

Then again, you can't complain about getting 150 hours out of a game. It's what Beth is good at, making games large enough that they trump every other single player RPGs.

Edited by vertex23

I find far more often the complaints do have an offer or suggestion to improve: Shorter guild quests(make them longer and not so "wham bam thank you ma'am"). Lack of Attributes(bring them back - modified from Oblivion if need be) Can't make spells(Why take this feature out?) No classes/birthsigns(bring them back, again modified from Oblivion if need be).

You have a lot of long time hard core TESers who were very disappointed by the direction the game took away from classic RPGs - even as different from the genre as the game was in Oblivion and Morrowind. They took many of the core things you find in the vast majority of RPGs and stripped them away.

I do like to chuckle at the few hard core TESers who are actually happy with the direction the game took away from classic RPG. They like to present their facts as if they were the majority(of the old school TES crowd, not majority of gamers).