Will Steam Workshop split the modding community?

LostLEGION

i dont think it will be a success, people will keep uploading to the nexus like they always have. Plus thats whats delaying the CK, and they will have a lot of control around the mods etc. Bottom line, Nexus isnt going anywhere, SW will likely fail.

This is my belief also. Support Nexus, boycott SW.

/chuckle

While I don't think a boycott is quite necessary (it will succeed or fail on its own, more likely on the negative side), I do agree it will likely have little effect on the Nexus and probably fall short in the big picture. I get to be one of the oddballs in here, I actually like Steam for the most part, but will be getting none of my mods from the Workshop, sticking to the Nexus for almost everything. The only way I could possibly be enticed over is if one of a handful of what I consider to be must-haves end up there exclusively, which is extremely unlikely at best.

Besides, the Nexus will always have at least one thing Steam will never carry in their mods section: naughty bits. :dance:

To OP: I don't think so. The Nexus family of sites has a much stronger community base than Steam does. Steam is more like a loose conglomeration of people who like to play whatever game is popular at the time (from my experience, I mean no offense to the hardcore Steam advocates here), whereas the Nexus, most of us have been around for a while and will still be here long after Skyrim has been shelved by most Steam gamers. Heck, some of the modders on here, when they're not making Skyrim mods, they're still working on mods for FO3 or FO:NV. I think the only people who will leave the Nexus are the fappers who came here for the booby mods and Macho Man Dragons mods.

another topic on this and I cant resist

steam workshop is definitely going to change and perhaps split the community. people do not stand on principle its about money and ease of use. steam will work out is bugs and with its legal framework where it will gouge people modders will start to make money on their mods. it will add a whole new layer of legal crap and a whole new level of anti sharing.

it may of course not happen right away it will likely be a year or more before a real affect is felt but it will be significant.

and imagine if steam owns rights to a mod and it is uploaded here.. uh oh.

just like now with the ultra cant speak about cracks or anything here we will see more and more mods with the rights owned by steam removed from nexus. nexus will ultimately as it has support steam workshop in the way they moderate and such.

bottom line no one is really going to care and although there are plenty of people talking about steam and the workshop there were that many talking about steam and being forced to login to their network to play a single player game. the days of add and no principles are here so steam is actually a perfect situation. especially if people can start charging for mods and they integrate the ability to update install and use mods right into the launcher of the game. not only will people not have to know anything back end or much less they will not be complaining about updates.

if what you are actually thinking is that steam workshop will somehow collaborate or support nexus in any way that will not happen. If they could they would probably buy off the entire database from nexus and then charge people.

but the reason any of these significant changes will happen is because people dont care really and they wont care much if steam takes over as long as they can get mods. and wait until they have a subscription fee for a monthly lease on mods... hooray!

another topic on this and I cant resist

steam workshop is definitely going to change and perhaps split the community. people do not stand on principle its about money and ease of use. steam will work out is bugs and with its legal framework where it will gouge people modders will start to make money on their mods. it will add a whole new layer of legal crap and a whole new level of anti sharing.

it may of course not happen right away it will likely be a year or more before a real affect is felt but it will be significant.

and imagine if steam owns rights to a mod and it is uploaded here.. uh oh.

just like now with the ultra cant speak about cracks or anything here we will see more and more mods with the rights owned by steam removed from nexus. nexus will ultimately as it has support steam workshop in the way they moderate and such.

bottom line no one is really going to care and although there are plenty of people talking about steam and the workshop there were that many talking about steam and being forced to login to their network to play a single player game. the days of add and no principles are here so steam is actually a perfect situation. especially if people can start charging for mods and they integrate the ability to update install and use mods right into the launcher of the game. not only will people not have to know anything back end or much less they will not be complaining about updates.

if what you are actually thinking is that steam workshop will somehow collaborate or support nexus in any way that will not happen. If they could they would probably buy off the entire database from nexus and then charge people.

but the reason any of these significant changes will happen is because people dont care really and they wont care much if steam takes over as long as they can get mods. and wait until they have a subscription fee for a monthly lease on mods... hooray!

While a real possibility, I think that's an overestimate. I agree with a lot of the users here that Nexus has a very strong fan base and is a very specific community. I've been on steam forums and the kind of tripe and stupidity people post there is enough to keep or sway member back to Nexus. Mixing this fine community with the likes and numbers of Steam users is not to the benefit of anyone. Will there be modders who "sell out"? Sure. Do they have a right to want to get payed for their work? Damn right they do. From what I see, Nexus is tightly woven thread, on the other hand steam is like what happens when your grandma teaches your 5 year old how to knit.

Agreed, it is not the Nexus Staff's job to police for pirated copies of Skyrim and stop then from downloading mods. They should focus on the site, easy of use, and supporting the community around it. Bethesda can worry about pirates and how to deal with them.

it is pretty easy to do both, there are a ton of people who announce to the whole world by posting "Yeah, tehe I got the FREE version (winky face)"

:facepalm: lmao

I can see steam workshop being a lot more punishing with copyrighted works... so posting on there seems like a risk for those who unintentionally do it. I also wonder how steam will handle people uploading work that is not theirs...

I for one, hope they coexist. I love the Nexus. I am not crazy about autoinstall. I like to open the file up, inspect the paths, and yes, manually install the files. I know there will come a day when downloading and installing the files myself will be over. I don't blame Bethesda, I don't blame Steam, and I don't blame the Nexus. I blame the pirates. Games are expensive to produce, and I don't blame Bethesda or Valve for wanting to protect that investment. Is it inconvenient? You betcha. Another case of the many being punished for the actions of the few.

I can't imagine the Nexus losing any popularity due to the Steam Workshop. What I see is that even now the Nexus servers are getting overlogged, and what is going to happen when the CK comes out? The modding will go nuclear. Skyrim is that popular. So it may be a good thing to have a bit of division. The Nexus has an incredible modding community! I know that most of these modders will stay with the Nexus. But I believe if the CK is user friendly enough, more and more people will be modding this game. A portion of at least these new modders will use the workshop, easing (potentially) the overflow. (I hope) Steam does have its advantages. I love the diskless reinstalls. I buy most of my games at stores. I want that hard copy. But, even if you buy the games at a store, once it's registered on steam, it's available forever. (And all my game disks stay in their cases protected after the initial install). I do buy expansions and game guides through Steam however.

I am trying to see all of this in a positive light. Be optimistic, at least the CK won't be Steam only. (Yet)

I blame the pirates.

Another case of the many being punished for the actions of the few.

Sorry friend, but your views seem to include several false myths which were created as industry propaganda. Pirates neither insert DRM nor are they hindered by it, nor is piracy why DRM was invented. Piracy is the excuse for the various entertainment industries technological and legal attempts to damage the markets for used entertainment which they incorrectly view as competitors. That's why DRM exists, not piracy.

Ever try to trade in one Steam game for another because it was old and you wanted some extra cash to buy its successor? Have fun with that adventure.

And as a reminder, there are generally two types of pirates: Those who never buy anything and cannot be considered a lost sale by any rational person and those who spend more money on entertainment than the combined purchases of several non-pirates.