Whats going to happen to Skyrim Nexus after CK release?!

Zoris

Steam vs. Nexus  

110 members have voted

1. 1. If The Creation Kit Releases, Will You Still Come to Skyrim Nexus?

As a modder you can expect that I will never upload any of my creations to the Steam archive so long as the mods on the service aren't free. Mods are a pass-time hobby and a tribute to the game that they mod for - in my opinion it's wrong to force people to pay for something designed to be free.

On the other hand, I believe that the Workshop is not meant to be for PC players but rather for Xbox/PS players since Bethesda did mention that they want mods to be ported to the consoles. It would make more sense if the workshop was a small monthly fee for console players as to keep the super-complex automated conversion codes afloat. Since no other game or company has ever attempted an on-the-fly automated conversion engine between all 3 (4 including the Wii) modern console machines, (PC, PS, Xbox) tons of maintenance and 24/7 surveillance of the servers would be required which would easily stack up to roughly $4,000 a week excluding emergencies which would tack on an extra $1,000 to get back up in a timely manner. These guesstimated figures don't apply to construction, coding and debugging costs which would take up a few million dollars. I estimate that debugging this monstrous program to fit in conjunction to Skyrim in a user-friendly manner is what caused so much delay in releasing the CK. Since 11-11-11, the debugging process would have been in its mature state, but constant crashes or bugs in the software would have been causing release delays.

Most games like Call of Duty are pre-programmed and formatted to fit each console and so require minimal maintenance on Steam.

Still havent decided if I'll upload my mods on Steam. I like the idea to reach a wider audience and simplifying installations, but at the same time I despise the idea of getting money involved, whether it's for my own profit, Valve's or Bethesda's. Modding is about sharing your creations and imagination, not making money of it. Donations however is a legit exception, as long as no greedy company demands a cut from it.

I dont think Bethesda or Valve knows exactly what they're getting themselves into with this anyway. I'm kind of expecting a shitstorm. And there will be TONS of license-violations if money gets involved.

Nah, I'm positive Nexus will stay as the number one hub for our mods. Here is where they belong.

Edited by Mr. Bravo

It's always about money is in fact true, in that Bethesda is paying Valve for its services, and Bethesda is providing these services expecting to increase its own profit margin from selling copies of the game and what ever DLC they release for the next 2 years. :thumbsup:

It's always about money is in fact true, in that Bethesda is paying Valve for its services, and Bethesda is providing these services expecting to increase its own profit margin from selling copies of the game and what ever DLC they release for the next 2 years. :thumbsup:

I didn't mean it like that, sure a modding community increases lifetime and thus DLC sales. But it seems people are jumping to the conclusion that Bethesda and Steam wants to sell our mods and people are mongering fear over a TOS explicit to VALVe's titles only.

I told my little brother about the SW and he was extatic about it, he's 16, but not that good with computers.