Does anyone else wait?

bleeargh

I was wondering if anyone else waits before buying and playing a new game? I bought Oblivion two years after it's release. This made the game so much more enjoyable. By that time, the unofficial patches had been released and the much appreciated modders had created wonderful additions to the game. I also do this with software and hardware. I own windows 7, but I'm still using XP waiting for all the bugs to get worked out of windows 7. Of course, if everyone followed my philosophy, no bugs would get worked out and patches would be far and few. I'm attempting to do the same thing with Skyrim. I just don't know if I can wait 2 years to play Skyrim......erg......must have self control.........:)

I waited 3 months before buying Sid Meier's Railroads (the new version)

that was long enough to learn that this game was not worth playing at all.

so it saved me a decent bit of money

I waited 1 year before buying "Age of Pirates 2"

turns out it was exactly one day short of the honeymoon . . .

the very next day the real reviews came to the surface

and all subsequent reviews of that game place it below

pounding a railroad spike through your foot

(meaning the spike was a preferred pass time)

where just the day before

every review of the game was glowing great

so yes . . . wait if you can

I'm holding off getting Skyrim myself, until at least when the construction kit is out and/or most of the bugs have been squashed. I'm still playing mostly Oblivion right now and some Mount & Blade: Warband on the side. I'm also trying to learn Blender and be able to make my own mods in the future.

I'm usually late to the call myself as well.

I got Morrowind as a bonus disc with a gaming magazine I subscribed, so that should tell you how long after its release it must've been.

After playing through all of it at least once and modding the hell out of it as far as I could go, I "suddenly" (well, duh) learned of the existance of its successor, which made me go get Oblivion at all to begin with (several years after release most likely but don't even know the release date).

Now with Skyrim it's a different, yet similar story. I knew from the two predecessors what to await from it, what kind of game it was to be and that I'd more than likely love it as well. But my limited free time these days disallowed me buying it right away, so I still don't possess it. I'm watching my brother play it on his 360 in regular sessions after work now, so that's where I have my knowledge about the game from, and I affirmed I love it, even the way it is now. However, I also consider myself lucky at the same time, as having bought it in the state it is in right now, I'd definitely have regretted it big time no doubt. A waste of money until it gets fixed to playability.

So in the end I more than likely will buy it one time or another... it's just not gonna happen any time soon... maybe I'll be lucky and it will be playable by the time I can play a game again then finally... who knows?

Anyways, I learned by now that "waiting" to buy a game always comes with an abundance of advantages, different to when you buy the game right away along with all the hype and these things, just so "you have it when everbody else has it", which is "as soon as possible", because "then" you're principly screwed big time these days and only suffering from your rushing it.

...that's of course only "my" point of view on it, from my personal experience with a bunch of games in the past and a good grasp of where the current gaming industry is heading now, which is by far not a direction I welcome at all (I mean "users" == "beta testers"? Roundabout 10% of customers unable to even use what they paid for, if you believe the media? Seriously?)... but that's besides the point.

AnimalRiot: Yeah, I'm still playing Oblivion, too. There is still so many quest mods out there I haven't tried........ yet. I'm also attempting to learn blender as well as nifscope and gimp. I think I have more of a knack for meshes in blender than textures in gimp as I am a freelance drafter using Autocad. Back to the subject of waiting, It seems to me that when it comes to software I usually stay behind, on purpose, by approx 2 to 3 years. It sometimes seems like many of these software companies don't do any "in-house" beta testing. They use the marketplace to do their testing. which, in IMHO, is rather unscrupulous. Of course, it's a conspiracy theory and I can't prove it. ;)

Microsoft is the worst culprit in my mind. Ever notice how they release a crappy version of their operating system then follow it up with a fixed version.

Windows 7 is the fixed version of Windows Vista (in theory)

Windows XP is the fixed version of Windows ME (man, was ME a crappy OS!)

Windows 98 needed an entirely new second edition in order to maintain functionality.

Anyhoo....I've learned to wait. :)

I prefer to buy the game as soon as possible to see how the original game is, in all its buggy glory, just so I can appreciate the patches, mods, etc. If youve never played Oblivion and when you buy it you download tons of mods to make it "more playable" then how would you know it wasnt "playable" to begin with? Other than the rumors youve heard. Oblivion used to have the duplicate glitch with arrows that made the game a lot of fun, now its gone and im stuck with the unfun scroll glitch... I wouldnt have known what the arrow glitch was like if I hadnt bought it when I did.

First, I firmly believe 'to each his own' ... after all, as bleeargh implies in the OP, if we all waited we'd be waiting forever. I belong to 'the few' who benefits from the efforts of 'the many'. I was aware of Oblivion right from it's first release. In it's day it was one of 'the' benchmarks for hardware review, able to cripple the sturdiest of machines. I waited until a few years ago to get it, in part because as it slipped off the hardware reviewers radar screen it slipped off mine too. I've had sufficient hardware for years after it's release, but other shiny baubles pushed it aside in my limited attention span.

Like bleeargh, I wait for hardware upgrades,and I wait for software to run on my latest 'new' machine. Being two or three steps back from that bleeding edge is OK, and has benefits that far outweigh any downsides for me. There's money saved (anyone remember when DVD burners for your computer were $1000), and frustration avoided, if you do a little research while you're waiting.

My first play through of a mostly vanilla Oblivion ran into the usual quest snags. Because I was 'behind the curve' resources like the UESP Wiki had more answers than I had questions. The guys who lined up on release day didn't have that luxury.

I usually wait to buy games by accident or because I didn't have much of a choice. Skyrim is one of the only games I ever bought right after it was released.

I bought Morrowind by accident years after it was released. I mistakenly thought it was part of a different game series. That was one lucky accident. It was far superior to the game I thought I was buying.

I didn't have a machine that could play Oblivion when it came out. So I waited several years.

Right now I have Skyrim, but I am thinking I might put it aside and not play it anymore until I have a CK. I just hate walking past things I want to fix, and would quickly and easily fix if I was playing Oblivion instead of Skyrim.