Would anyone be interested in?

elleonblanco

Nexus Community Designed RPG  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Since we already have one of the most talented nodding communities would anyone be interested in a community generated RPG?

• Yes very. It would be interesting to see what the talented folks in the community could build.
    • Moderately interested as keeping a development group together and organized would be a problem.
    • Not interested at all because I have better things to do.
  2. 2. Would you be interested in entering a discussion about it?

• Count me in. I am always looking to polish my skills.
    • I like modding but have no interest in game development.
    • I don't know anything about modding or coding but would be willing to help with ideas and the like.
    • Stick it in your ear it will be a total waste of time.

Today in another thread found here: Skyrim Forum link as a discussion came up that makes a lot of sense. Since here in the Nexus community there are some very creative modders, artists, coders, and quest line authors just maybe it would be an interesting experiment to see if we could get a group together and create a community driven RPG. It would seem logical that we would ask the help of Nexus administration to give us a hand with this as this is where we all meet to begin with. We would need the use of a forum, and IRC room for meetings, and a repository for work in progress where the community could download the project as it unfolds to check it out. Possibly utilizing the NMM for our content delivery system.

I have seen some serious projects written for Oblivion and both of the Fallout series of games and I know the amount of effort that went into some of these games had to be close to starting from scratch. That is why in my opinion we have everything needed to put something together that would actually be a realistic style RPG with all the things we ever really wanted but the commercial devs have no interest of implementing.

So... any thoughts? ideas? or should I just shut up and go back to lurking in my corner? Would love to hear your opinions.

Edited by elleonblanco

Im not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I had a similiar idea which I wasnt sure would get anywhere if I made the mod:

Assuming your using Skyrim as a base with the Ck to work from

It was going to be similiar to a setting like LOTR, but only in the sense that are 'regions' for each race.

So one areas of the map would be human controlled (imperial, nord, breton and redgaurd) another would be the elven lands (wood elves, High elves ) a dark elves area, orcs area, argonian and then kjaiit. (and probably a new dwarf race)

Falmer changed to Goblins, made weaker in defence (not attack) but triple their numbers and have raids etc

Each area would have vastly different lands, elves would be low in numbers but very well crafted equipment and beautiful towns etc.

Humans would have packed cities of stone

Orcs would live in camps

Dark Elves would live in dark areas of a forest perhaps

A marsh land for argonians

Kjaiit im not sure.

But I would leave all the quests and people in place, not changing main character NPCS already in the game, (as people could have migrated to live in those areas)

And I was going to create a lore for each race, dark elves and high/wood elfs are always having skirmishes for example.

Have someone create new creatures etc

There would be new quests etc. and instead of the beginning as normal a new character has the option to start off in their 'country' area with some basic region specifc equipment

Would anyone be interested in something like this, obviouslt there would be many new areas and removeal of the borders for new areas

Also magical items would be SO SO rare, but well worth it when you find them, as in LOTR type fantasies there are not 5 enchanted weapons at every trader.

Things like soul gems would also be SO SO rare to avoid people using enchanting all the time.

Smithing materials for high level things would also be very rare.

And you wouldnt just find a powerful artifact weapon in a chest, they would always be on an enemy, so a fully enchanted daedric sword.......youve got to kill your enemy to gain it....not just find it in a chest that is defended by 5 bandits with iron axes too stupid to open the chest and kick your butt with a 30pts fire damage sword

Edited by thelonewarrior

The problem comes with time constraint and having it organized. There needs to be 1 very structured person on the top of everything, the guy who runs the shot. That person needs to be very active.

Last 2 porjects I've been on, died out because the so call "manager" decided a 1 week break, without a warning, is a nice thing to do. Now, that doesn't work. If I got 4 models ready, I got them ready. If I get no further information for a week, I will have 20 new models for my own projects, and I will not be keen to go back to the slacktastic work allready there.

Secondly is the chaos that arrises when multiple people do the same thing. Set 12 people to model game props, and you end up with a lot of the same.

Lastly it is the concept art needed. If there is something rarer than an animator, it is a good conept artist.

That said, I would be game. I am always up to imrpove both my 2d and 3d skills, and some more team-based modding is always good experience.

This could be a really great idea, or a complete disaster. As mentioned before there needs to be strong leadership and division of duties. You also need to have concept art and storyline/theme elements fleshed out and decided upon before too many people get involved and start pulling the project into several directions.

I like the LOTR idea posed by thelonewarrior, I would also like to work on a futuristic RPG based on the world of Firefly, or a cyberpunk RPG in the vein of Shadowrun, and another more like Bladerunner, there is also one I've thought about called The Immortal where you start as an early human fighting saber-tooth tigers and time slowly advances until you are building spacecraft and conquering other worlds, oh and a Zombie survival RPG and about 20 other RPG ideas that I have; and I'm just one guy! Multiply that by every person you recruit and you have a project that will never get off the ground.

You also want to decide what type of engine you are going to use, either grab one of Bethesdas games and do a total conversion with the same limitations found in the original game or grab a 3rd party open source engine and have to write all the basic rules and game mechanics from scratch.

Are you going for the realistic graphics of Call of Duty or something more stylized like Borderlands? Will the game be played from the 1st, 3rd or Isometric viewpoint?

I would be very interested in seeing where this goes, I'd even be willing to offer up my meager skills if it would help. But first there needs to be a structure and hierarchy for how decisions should be made, then as detailed a concept as possible should be formed before mass recruitment begins. Just be warned that the project as a whole will take years to complete and whoever is at the head of the group had better be prepared to almost all the work themselves.

If you want to make the game be truly For Gamers By Gamers then you could also try putting up a series of polls to help make some of the artistic decisions. For example the first poll could focus on Theme, then a later poll would be for Setting. Put a time limit on the polls and say that after 30 days whatever the highest rated idea will be the one used. Even concept art could be put up this way, have maybe 4-5 different concepts for the same characters/items and have people vote on what they like best. This might help settle some disputes over creative differences.

Just got back in and took a look. Thanks for the responses, votes, and ideas. As has been said there are many things that need to be decided before an actual project could even begin. As for themes , time setting, and such we need to get a discussion group formed so that we can bounce ideas off each other. Like I said in the original post I would hope that the powers that be at Nexus would be willing to lend us a hand with a central point that we can all use to meet and coordinate. I don't know how to contact Mr. Howard but I am sure someone on here does and if they were so inclined drop a bug in his ear that we are interested in his help. The idea of a game by gamers for gamers is actually quite a good one and I know that if we can spark the interest of some of the very talented people here we could come up with something quite spectacular. The important thing is that we all know it won't happen overnight but if we could even get a 15 to 20 minute demo together in say the first 6 to 8 months once we had a basic frame I believe things would really take off.

I think the comments already posted cover most of the issues. I've seen successful projects take anywhere from 2 to over 10 years, depending on both the leadership skills of the project lead and the commitment and skills of the team members. It can get to be tough sledding when you've only got a few people working, and you're constantly having to recruit new team members while at the same time trying to keep things going. And, I've seen what were very promising projects fail, some as they were nearing completion, because critical team members just lost interest. That said, it can be very rewarding, and I'd also be interested in contributing my somewhat limited modding skills. However, I'll be very time limited until my current commitment is complete, which should be only a few more months.