Will Model for Mod-Processing

AurelTristen

This isn't really a request for a mod from the ground up, so I felt it should go here.

I'll get right to the point: I'm an experienced 3D Modeler working in 3D Studio Max. I'm also a big fan of Skyrim. I have some models I'd like to see in the game, but I haven't yet had the time and focus to learn how to make this happen. Until I do, I'd like someone who knows how to add weapons and such to the game, to add mine for me. Why would anyone do that? Here is my proposal: Say you know how to get models into Skyrim, but you don't have any modeling skills. I will make a model for you, which you can add to the game, as long as you also add one of mine too. A 1 for 1 exchange.

With good references, I can do just about any sword, bow or shield you can imagine, complete with textures and skin weighting. Eventually I might be able to do armor too, but right now I'm trying to think realistically.

What I'm trying to put in the game:

The first thing I want to put in the game is a Japanese Long Bow, AKA a Yumi. Eventually, (when the creation kit is released in 2015), I'd like to make a full-on Japanese (edo period) themed TC, but for now I'm just looking at doing some of my favorite weapons. With that said, I don't care if it replaces a bow or becomes its own. I'm sure adding it, instead of overwriting one is actually harder to do.

Any takers?

I don't think adding a new weapon to the game (.esp) or making a replacer is a problem.

Typically, bows in Bethsoft games have been painful to implement due to morphing and key frames (and the lack of tools to create them).

In Oblivion, there was a process using an ancient version of NifSkope to get it working but very few people could do it. Programmers for pyffi and nif scripts was able to help us getting bow morphs to work directly from an export in Blender without requiring Nifskope magic skills.

Long story short, it may be difficult to get a working custom bow NIF...at least much more difficult than any other kind of weapon due to the morphs. Then again, I haven't been playing around with getting custom models into Skyrim so there may be a trick to getting this to work. I'd really need to see if anyone has already added custom bows...then find out how they did it.

With the correct version of PyFFI and Blender NIF Scripts, I was able to create some custom bows for Oblivion. Here are the tutorials in case you are interested:

Blender: Bow Import and Export

Blender: Bows with New Geometry

Blender: Bows with Modified Geometry

EDIT: I went through about 4 pages of bow mods and none of them were sporting new models...just re-textures.

If I have time tonight....err....nevermind. Just remembered I have a Father / Daughter dance tonight. I'll see if I can get one of my custom bows for Oblivion to work in Skyrim...hopefully this weekend. My free time is so erratic that it is hard to get anything done that requires a long stretch of time trying to figure something out like this.

LHammonds

I would just like to add that if you want to get a faster response, you have the option to upload the meshes you have already done as a "modders resource" on skyrimnexus. Just remember to save your creations as an .OBJ since there are many modders who use blender instead of 3ds max.

Thank you both for the quick and informative responses.

LHammonds, I'll be interested to see if you can get your old bows to work. I figured that the engine uses morph targets. I see that other weapons allow you to export from 3DSMAX with the skin modifier still in the stack. If a bow needs morph targets, I've already created them with a morpher modifier stack. Maybe I could just export my model with that included?

I also remember seeing that in order to do morphs for the size of armor and such, they used two different models. As long as they have the exact same vert count, the game could then morph between the two so that the item fit the custom body it was on. If this is the case, then all I'd need to do is export my morph target models.

To amycus, I wasn't aware of that. I'll check it out. For things like swords, I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to throw up a OBJ and DDS texture, but I'd love to figure this bow thing out. These long bows were the longest bows ever made, and their pull (operation) is quite unique. While they wouldn't look 'right' in the game until I can put together my own player animations, I would think they'd be really cool to see.

Long story short, it may be difficult to get a working custom bow NIF...at least much more difficult than any other kind of weapon due to the morphs. Then again, I haven't been playing around with getting custom models into Skyrim so there may be a trick to getting this to work. I'd really need to see if anyone has already added custom bows...then find out how they did it.

I reckon they might be a bit easier to implement in skyrim because they are skinned to bones and not actually morphed iirc. Probably just have to make like 2 bones or something and rig the bow to them and bob's your uncle. I remember looking at couple bows thinking it'll be a bit like guns in F3 but with skinning.

You know, this is actually quite funny. I was looking for someone to port some of my old works into Skyrim, but with no luck. Making textures is a piece of cake for me, even some basic 3d modeling, but I have no clue about making elaborate 3D models (like weapons and armors)...lol. Hey, maybe we should team up, eh? Tho, one of us should crack the porting bit...^_^

Do you have a portfolio of work you've done?

I'm in desperate need of a 3D modeler who is proficient in "organic" things. My quest mod (link in signature) requires a monster which could just be a new mesh over a Bethesda skeleton for animations and an organic suit of armor, so no metal and jagged edges. I'd be gracious if you would consider my mod. Thanks.

Ghogiel: I hope you're right, that would make a lot more sense (Though it wouldn't allow the bows to warp 'correctly' it would be good enough for a video game) I would need the original skeleton though.

MacKom: Again, if you figure out the importing process, I can do some 3D work. Nothing elaborate (Armor takes a lot more work to UVW and skin properly, and I'm just focusing on weapons right now).

Adolon: Actually, organic things are kina' my weakness. I've been doing robots (Macross, Evangelion, ECT) for years, as well as structures, weapons, space ships and so forth. Be it, I CAN do organic modeling, but it isn't my best area.

As my sig indicates, I have no problem getting stuff in game (NifSkope, .esps, all that) but can't model or texture worth a ****. I might also be available for something but will probably be quite busy otherwise. You should also consider rigging as that is a significant barrier to getting *good* armor meshes in game (rigging is relatively simple; correcting all the minor deformations, etc is not). Not needed for weapons of course, so you might want to start there. Edited by jimhsu

AurelTristen, We (A Skyrim mod TC Team) are still looking for skilled or fast learning modellers for our mod:

A Skyrim TC based on the Eragon movie and the Inheritance novel series.

Nexus thread: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/508545-skyrim-an-idea-for-a-major-conversion-alagaesia/

Project forums: http://alagaesia-skyrim.fantasyboard.net/

As of now the mod is still in its infancy, but work on assets has already begun (mainly weaponry and armor, but also some creatures)

We'll also be overhauling the magic system to fit the inheritance lore, which will be done when the CK arrives. (Tuesday! :D)

But the development of the weaponry and armor is going slow due to us having only one person being able to texture, so you'd be quite an asset to the team. (i am wondering what you use to texture your models though? in 3d max itself? or also an external program like photoshop or gimp?)

The one thing i can't tell is if anyone of us is able to rig/animate your bow. But i can tell you that most of us on the team know how to put it ingame using the CK.

Have a look at the Links i provided above and take this offer into consideration :)

Should you decide to accept, i would like to ask you to create an account on our project forums and apply to the team here: http://alagaesia-skyrim.fantasyboard.net/t3p20-join-the-team

And providing a link back to this post in the application should go a long way as well :)