Black Soul Gems

NocturneNight

Just created my first Black Soul Gems and used them to trap the souls of some bandits. Turns out that the strength of the souls are exacly the same as regular Grand Souls, so, what is the point in using these Black Soul Gems? I thought the capacity would be higher than normal, as that would explain the ardous process of obtaining them. But if there's no difference from the normal Grand Soul gems, what's the point? Am I missing something here?

I know I can trap Humans. But I thought their souls would be more powerful than those of creatures. Yes, bandits are easy to find, and easy to kill - but going all the way out into some remote location in the wilderness, at the exact right day, is not something I would recommend to a low-levelled character. :P Furthermore you only get to learn about these gems well into the mages guild's questline and it's a fair bet most players will be quite high levelled by then. Anyhow, this was a disappointment, I will prolly dig up the CS and see if I can't change them to make it worth my while. :P

I know I can trap Humans. But I thought their souls would be more powerful than those of creatures. Yes, bandits are easy to find, and easy to kill - but going all the way out into some remote location in the wilderness, at the exact right day, is not something I would recommend to a low-levelled character. :P Furthermore you only get to learn about these gems well into the mages guild's questline and it's a fair bet most players will be quite high levelled by then. Anyhow, this was a disappointment, I will prolly dig up the CS and see if I can't change them to make it worth my while. :P

I get what you are saying and kind of agree... Black Soul Gems should provide an extra kick as you basically are trapping an cognizant, intelligent being and not a mob or animal. I think they should be much rarer and really be the gem that is the creme de la creme when it comes to soul gems. Grand is nice and is like the Mercedes of gems... but Black? Those should be much rarer, require a special skill and impart truly epic enchants (i.e. a random context-sensitive enchant along with the requested enchant). Through some vampiric benefit when enchanting a fire sword, adding spell absorbtion when enchanting a shield, that kind of thing. Random effect, but it makes sense and boosts the item that much more.

What is the Black Soul Gem carried over aspect of the person used? Soul of a mage = extra boost of magic resist, soul of an melee class gives extra block, soul of a vampire gives health drain...

Perhaps Black Souls Gems could be made to be reuseable, like Azura's Star? I'm not sure if that's plausible.

That would make Azura's Star underpowered though...

Maybe there's already a mod floating around for something like that.

The problem in getting black soul gems for a low level player (who also knows how to make them ... i.e. has played through the mages guild before) is

finding the grand soul gems needed and acquiring the soul trap spell.

Once you have those two items it's just a matter of waiting for the proper day and going to the proper place(s).

Well, shucks. I was just about to go make my first ones, and still am, just for the novelty of it. But I thought for sure they'd be higher capacity than a grand. It's easier to find an ogre for my grand soul filling needs than to go through that bs for a couple of black souls.

Seems like I've seen game-generated magical items with a higher charge capacity than what I've been able to enchant personally.

I explained that mystery away to myself by assuming they were "enchanted using black soul gems."

I guess it was just the game making the item's capacity unique, as well as it's actual enchanted powers.

Trapping human souls is what is considered black necromancy (as there is some other type). About the Azura Star, actually there is a way to get it "black version" in Skyrim what is arguably far better than having the normal one.

The point was already told, is easier to find human souls to fill the gem than high level beasts/monsters to fill the gem at "grand" capacity. Besides, the black soulgem traps only human or human like souls, so it is never filled with lesser ones.

Edited by nosisab