Fallout 4 Optimization and Performance Systems Explained

I can add a late comment too!

Collision is a common problem with statics that need to be precombined, when they have been been built from multiple meshes by 'kitbashing' thier Collision together. Normally what I do is run them through elric to make them FO4 compatible (which removes the bad collision) then recreate the collision via nifscope as per Jonathan's excellent process documented on YouTube.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Question, If i would remove the following from a vanilla interior cell;

- XPRI - Physics References and

- XCRO - Combined References

from the cell and maybe at the "Hand Changed" tag to the cell,

would this cause any performance issues other than that i would force the game (intended) to load all the objects in real time?

I did some testing and it runs perfectly fine.

Im doing this since i need to change various vanilla cells and instead of copying the entire cell and make a perfect clone i think, why not simply remove the references forcing the game to circumvent the PreCombined obejcts.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Qrsr

Removing/disabling precombines on interior cells forces the game to switch to "room bounds" and "portals" to work out occlusion. If these have not been set up properly then you can have voids appearing. The performance gain of precombines in small interior cells is minimal so disabling precombines as you have done will not impact you much. 

I would clear the PCMB field as well, as a removed XCRI field does not always disable precombines (depending on previous overrides - though I have not tested this on interior). However, no PCMB always disables precombines&previs.

I made sure to remove room bounds and portals of course, and i disabled many objects causing performance drops all and foremost various lights and mist. espeically FX will drain on hardware. the objects itself do not cause so much problems. though i assume there is a sweetspot of the maximum number of objects. since its interiors without using a separat GPU (im using interal iGPU) i can say it is super stable. 🙂

thanks PJMail for the PCMB note. i will directly test it out.

I assumed you knew what you were doing, but mentioned the "bounds&Portals" for other people as it can trip you up first time.

And "accepted wisdom" is clearing XCRI disables precombines, but I have found that the game "partial loads" this field - meaning if the master has XCRI data, and your override has no XCRI field, then the original XCRI is used. However no PCMB field in an override is an immediate "off".

I document all this in my previs deep dive document.

4 hours ago, niston said:

Why clear the roombounds/portals tho?
Set them up properly instead, and they'll work fine.

true. do you know when to seriously use room bounds? i try to keep the cells around 177 MB. Which should be fine, for interior cells i found less problems with many static objects eventhough no room bounds were used. The only real impact is lighting. Am i missing something?

EDIT: Im also curious what would happen if i set a room bound for the entire vanilla cell decoration/objects and place the new cell objects some xyz coordinates later next to it. The player would never walk into the vanilla room yet would use the new room instead. This would make sure the vanilla cell is kept but not used at all. Right?

Edited by Qrsr

5 hours ago, PJMail said:

I have found that the game "partial loads" this field - meaning if the master has XCRI data, and your override has no XCRI field, then the original XCRI is used. However no PCMB field in an override is an immediate "off".

I document all this in my previs deep dive document.

Hmm that is interesting. I found the game is also forcing many objects which are tied to scripts and others. I found myself lately to copy the cell clean the s#*! out of it (trash objects) and it all runs fine. The scripts and PC and PV stuff mostly is loaded like you say. Probably forces me to circumvent it by a duplicate cell i can mod everything without interfering with the base game behavior e.g. loading certain scripts and objects no matter if removed, disabled or not.