Fallout 4 Optimization and Performance Systems Explained

Remember the page file trick too even if you do have lots of RAM. Once I set up a 16GB page file, CK was quite happy to generate 11 ugrids worth without crashing :smile: Took an hour but lol

One thing worth watching out for as well is some mods (like Beantown) use multiple models of buildings in the Layers for designing multi story buildings and stuff (easier to work with in CK). What you can end up with is a single building with multiple combined models and this seems to load slower when entering a cell, and in some occasions cause a fair amount of Z-fighting. Good to check the layers on some mods for optimization before combining as well, and disable (not delete) said extras.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found that when creating compatibility patches sometimes the process doesn't work correctly. The times you will find this to be true is when two mods add items to the same spot in a cell. For instance My Cleaner Settlements mod changes the stairs up to one of the exits in Hangman's alley by adding in some shack floors with supports, and the mod Hangman's Alley Interior Apartments removes the rubble piles, and adds some brick wall components for support. When you make a patch in this case you will find that instead of one mod winning over the other(even if you delete one of the objects in the patch) both mods add the objects, and they will clip into each other. At this time, the only work around I have found is changing one of the mods directly to pick a winner in this way, and then making a patch.

Trosski-

First off, thanks for your tutorial! It has really helped me overcome the fear of making worldspace edits and not mucking things up. Previous attempts ended in dismal failure, so thank you.

I recently ran into the same issue you described making a patch for my Overboss Hideaway player home and BT Interiors. The abandoned house across the street from the player home that BT interiors opens up has a table and refrigerator that have texture flickering with the patch active. Apparently these items are being rendered twice, once from mod, once from the patch.

I assumed deleting them from the patch or mod would resolve it, but never bothered to fix it because you can't notice it unless you stand right next to the two objects which isn't going to happen very often.

I have found that when creating compatibility patches sometimes the process doesn't work correctly. The times you will find this to be true is when two mods add items to the same spot in a cell. For instance My Cleaner Settlements mod changes the stairs up to one of the exits in Hangman's alley by adding in some shack floors with supports, and the mod Hangman's Alley Interior Apartments removes the rubble piles, and adds some brick wall components for support. When you make a patch in this case you will find that instead of one mod winning over the other(even if you delete one of the objects in the patch) both mods add the objects, and they will clip into each other. At this time, the only work around I have found is changing one of the mods directly to pick a winner in this way, and then making a patch.

Trosski-

First off, thanks for your tutorial! It has really helped me overcome the fear of making worldspace edits and not mucking things up. Previous attempts ended in dismal failure, so thank you.

I recently ran into the same issue you described making a patch for my Overboss Hideaway player home and BT Interiors. The abandoned house across the street from the player home that BT interiors opens up has a table and refrigerator that have texture flickering with the patch active. Apparently these items are being rendered twice, once from mod, once from the patch.

I assumed deleting them from the patch or mod would resolve it, but never bothered to fix it because you can't notice it unless you stand right next to the two objects which isn't going to happen very often.

See my post directly above yours ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone want to help me beat Vault 88 into submission? I am trying to make a working version of Scrap Everything for that "settlement" (which involves making a lot more scrappable than before), and when I generate previs the CK isn't doing what I expect it to.

Just let me know if you want to help, and I'll send you what I have. I fully "prepped" the cell (i.e. remove everything I don't want), the precombineds generated from that "prepped" cell, and the trimmed plugin with all the "deleted references" removed, and just the edited/added ones.

Depending on when I generate the "precombined visibility", I either get the "missing everything" bug (almost everything occluded from almost everywhere, if I generate the previs with the "prepped" plugin) or I still get occlusion planes (a handful of vanishing objects) being made inside certain objects (seem to primarily be important quest-related ones, happens if I generate the previs using my new precombineds and the trimmed plugin). I don't have access to a comp that can handle the CK right now (at least, not for a large cell like that), so I can't do much checking of my various theories on how to make it work.

Did you generate Previs and then generate Precombined Previs? I found doing both in that order clears up some hassles in certain areas. I just do both all the time now.

I still havent researched into why that Occlusion box in Monsignor broke my generation but Im sketchy on using occlusion boxes/plains. Only what giggly said is the info I have on that.

Edit - Ill take a look if you wanna PM me the link to the file.

Didn't touch the regular previs, I'll definitely try that when I can.

Also, I'm an idiot. I asked for help largely because it'll be a little while before I can work on it (stuck with just a laptop right now), and I wanted to try and get it done. But I forgot that I don't have the files on this computer. I'll send you them when I can, but I'm not sure on just when that will be.

Did Vault 88 have precombined and previs data to begin with? I thought it was treated like an interior cell, and those shouldn't need it generated. If you want to optimize an interior cell, then you should stick to the room bounds markers, and portals. I optimized the Vault 1080 mod in the CK by doing this, and I don't get any FPS drops when running through it now.

Did Vault 88 have precombined and previs data to begin with? I thought it was treated like an interior cell, and those shouldn't need it generated. If you want to optimize an interior cell, then you should stick to the room bounds markers, and portals. I optimized the Vault 1080 mod in the CK by doing this, and I don't get any FPS drops when running through it now.

All interior cells in FO4 have previs/precombined data. They also have roombounds, but they were done very poorly, which is why you get graphical issues when they are disabled on top of the performance hit.

If I can't get the previs working, I might end up having to do it with roombounds/portals. Not looking forward to it, as I have already put in a lot of work on this method, and the cell is massive.

All interior cells in FO4 have previs/precombined data. They also have roombounds

I don't know why they would choose to use this system for interior cells, and roombounds boxes and portals. It seems so counter productive. The only reason they used the Precombine/Previs system was to speed rendering in highly cluttered exterior cells, so they wouldn't have to compartmentalize the downtown area like they did with FO3(I forget which guy explained this to me... smkviper... maybe.). It shouldn't be necessary for interior cells that use roombounds, and portals.