Fallout 4 Optimization and Performance Systems Explained

I read a good thread once I think by Elianora, there was a way to do it properly that worked real good for interiors. And there was a way that ruined the floor :D

I also read that the original dev of roombounds and portals is no longer with Beth and they have some issues with it but don't quote me on that one.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a good thread once I think by Elianora, there was a way to do it properly that worked real good for interiors. And there was a way that ruined the floor :D

I also read that the original dev of roombounds and portals is no longer with Beth and they have some issues with it but don't quote me on that one.

I think I posted on that thread. I tested some precombine/previs in her Marlboro house mod, and found that doing the Precombine and previs in interior cells resets Material swaps. it was an effort to figure out how to make the floors allow furniture to be placed on it in workshop mode. she had flagged it workshop stackable, and various other things, but couldn't get it to work right. So she ended up putting Shackfloors under the deco floors to give the workshop a solid surface on which to place objects.

Yeah, properly done roombounds/portals negate the need for previs/precombineds, but part of the advantage of precombineds is that they are unscrappable (so no opening a hole into the void), and it automatically makes things workshop stackable (which is why people had problems with The Castle among others when Scrap Everything disabled precombineds there).

Precombineds shouldn't reset material swaps, at least not if they are in the active plugin used to make them. There are a number of vanilla precombineds that have material swaps applied. And based on personal experience, texture replacers also work fine with precombineds (mesh replacers are a completely different story).

I had pretty much no problems with the Mechanist's Lair, once I figured out a few things about how they work I had no problems, and get a consistent 60 fps. If I can't get it to work (got a few things to try), I'll go with roombounds/portals. But with the amount of work I've put in "preparing" the cell already, I really don't want to.

Well, as long as an object doesn't have a recipe attached to it, then you shouldn't be able to scrap it... without a scrap absolutely everything kind of mod that is... but I feel that with those kind of mods, you scrap at your own risk anyway, so f*#@ it. That's why I prefer to remove objects with the CK as opposed to using scrapping mods. I always seem to scrap things I never intended to scrap.

I would simply try the full generation and see what happens. Precoms then Previs then Precom Previs, see what happens.

I religiously won't use it the scrap everything type of mods myself, it's not The Way It's Mean't To Be Played™

Well, I'm making this new previs/precombineds for the mod Scrap Everything, so... yeah. Pretty much the only stuff that won't be scrappable is stuff that would reveal the Void.

Edit: Plus, I frequently recommend Place Everywhere, and it can (if you enable extra object selection) move (and scrap, for no components) things without a recipe.

Well, I'm making this new previs/precombineds for the mod Scrap Everything, so... yeah. Pretty much the only stuff that won't be scrappable is stuff that would reveal the Void.

Edit: Plus, I frequently recommend Place Everywhere, and it can (if you enable extra object selection) move (and scrap, for no components) things without a recipe.

I use Place Everywhere(Love that mod), but I only set the basic on off functionality on. I turn everything else off. I am way too clumsy to use a scrapping mod, or use the extra object selection. I would end up grabbing the ground tiles I was standing on, and falling into the void. Lol. I used to use Scrap Everything, but I kept scrapping the foundations in Sanctuary while trying to clear the leaf piles out of the houses. I would lose like an hour or two of build time, and the frustration of all that is what lead me to make my mod.

I use Place Everywhere(Love that mod), but I only set the basic on off functionality on. I turn everything else off. I am way too clumsy to use a scrapping mod, or use the extra object selection. I would end up grabbing the ground tiles I was standing on, and falling into the void. Lol. I used to use Scrap Everything, but I kept scrapping the foundations in Sanctuary while trying to clear the leaf piles out of the houses. I would lose like an hour or two of build time, and the frustration of all that is what lead me to make my mod.

That'll be fixed in the next version (you'll get to choose what you want to be scrappable).

Also, I checked, and apparently, there are no markers or any kind of .NIF for roombounds or portals. So that idea is officially dead in the water. :(

That'll be fixed in the next version (you'll get to choose what you want to be scrappable).

Also, I checked, and apparently, there are no markers or any kind of .NIF for roombounds or portals. So that idea is officially dead in the water. :sad:

Roombounds and portals are Primitives and don't use .nifs? I'm not sure what idea your saying is dead but, the roombounds and portals are somewhat like collision plains and you won't find .nif's for them ether.

Also, I checked, and apparently, there are no markers or any kind of .NIF for roombounds or portals. So that idea is officially dead in the water. :sad:

Roombounds and portals are Primitives and don't use .nifs? I'm not sure what idea your saying is dead but, the roombounds and portals are somewhat like collision plains and you won't find .nif's for them ether.

hmm... I chose the wrong words there... what I'm trying to say is that, for me, whenever I try to make a roombound or a portal, the CK either freezes or crashes (I tried four times before I gave up). Of course, it could just be the CK (goodness knows it does that a lot), but still, I'd be wary of trying that again.