Returning to Vanilla

Genadine

Depends. Simply removing all mods should return it to vanilla, but your saves might be corrupted.

So if you dont want to keep your saves or you have mostly added texture packs and things that don't change any game mechanics or parameters then you could safely just remove the lot.

Depends. Simply removing all mods should return it to vanilla, but your saves might be corrupted.

So if you dont want to keep your saves or you have mostly added texture packs and things that don't change any game mechanics or parameters then you could safely just remove the lot.

Thanks htomeht

Had totally forgotten about saved games and possible corruption, just saved me from a world of pain.

There is only a very small chance that your saves will go corrupt.

When you disable a mod, the information about it will be deleted from your save game, without problems.

So, as long as you are not in a cell which is created by a mod (f.x. dovahkiin hideout), you will be fine. All the items from the mod that you have will simply disappear.

I once deleted a mod that affected gameplay which was ( Enhanced Dead Thrall) and when i loaded my latest save, i simply got a message saying :" This save relies on content that is no longer available , do you still wish to load this game ? " I clicked on yes and everything was fine. The only difference was that i could no longer raise more than 2 Dead Thralls at a time exactly as it was supposed to be . There might be some realy rare cases where the game might get corrupted but it would have to be a really big major Mod and i realy cannot think of any Mod that would do that right now .

And to answer your question, if you know where your mods are installed, it might even be easier to simply delete them manualy rather than use the NMM. Now i've never used the NMM so i wouldn't know how easy it is to uninstall mods with it but anyways, yes i beleive that simply uninstalling your mods will return your game to Vanilla version.

Krawll

Sometimes the game just delete the missing assets but that is not always the case and the save game may become useless indeed.

I did not verify it but sometimes a patch can include files into the data folder which should not be removed. The best way to return to Vanilla is still simply reinstalling the whole thing after removing all remaining from the last install from the /data and if it is the case, backing up the /saves at /Documents if the game fails to start and returning the saves one at a time until finding those which do not crashes the game at once.