[LE] Important info for mod authors regarding official HD texture pack

QuickFox

Quickfox, thanks for the info.

I was able to get CK to create a BSA for me by starting the full upload mod process, and adding textures when it prompts for extra files. Then when it asked me for mod information, I just canceled that window. The .esp and .bsa files were in the skyrim/data folder, but no uploading happened. HOWEVER -- when I did that, the game still didn't seem to load the files with my .esp checked and the files named the same. perhaps I missed something else.

The steam method is fine, but I don't see why they needed to break the loose file functionality. ESP+.BSA community mods would work just fine with the traditional loose file loading.

The ease of managing .esp's is, to me, greatly offset by the load order problems it introduces when trying to mix similar mods. And the auto-update subscription is nice until you release something that causes a problem for a small number of users. Since there's no way to instruct the unfortunate users to not download the latest, EVERYONE has to miss out on new features while you re-upload the old version.

Anyway, if I can get things worked out, I'll be uploading my mods to steam. Stripped down (or is it stripped up?) to hopefully dodge the content nannies, of course. :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that caliente, info added to OP.

I think you should be fine sharing your mod, you'll just need to be 'never-nude' all the way. Perhaps you can create a more flattering (yet still adequately concealing) set of underwear meshes? Honestly I prefer using nevernude, simply because I found it too disturbing when I'd loot armor off dead bandits :P

i dont get it, i have the hd texture pack, and i have the high density star feild mod, and i know that one of the hd texture bsa's has a skystars.dds file, (which is hideous btw, i tested the hd texutre pack without any mods) and when i installed the starfeild mod it showed up in game without a esp plugin

??

Figured out the .esp packaging and got a nevernude up on Steam now.

I ran into a new problem with one of the packages -- the packager would say "archive creation failed" with no explanation. Turns out it was trying to create a file called <modname>.tdt that seems to be a temporary file used when creating the .BSA. As a workaround, I was able to manually create the <modname>.tdt in skyrim/data (in my case CBBECurvy.tdt) by making a new empty text file and changing the file name. Then the archive process worked fine.

Will be a long time before I have a chance to try and make prettier underthings, still need to get vanilla armor converted over. In the meantime, all the underwear textures out there should work with it, and it has an alpha channel for lacy bits.

hellstorm102: I'm starting to believe that the HD .bsa's don't override all files. For instance, for my mod, the normal maps are overridden while the actual texture seems to fall back to the data folder. Perhaps there's simply a bug that they'll fix eventually.

I was able to get CK to create a BSA for me by starting the full upload mod process, and adding textures when it prompts for extra files. Then when it asked me for mod information, I just canceled that window. The .esp and .bsa files were in the skyrim/data folder, but no uploading happened. HOWEVER -- when I did that, the game still didn't seem to load the files with my .esp checked and the files named the same. perhaps I missed something else.

This is the exact issue I am running into. I'm trying to build a basic ESP/BSA armor retexture mod as a learning experience. So far I have created a blank test.esp in the CK with skyrim.esm as the master, I then pick "Upload Plugin and Archive to Steam", drag and drop the individual files from the data\textures\armor\...\*.dds into the extra files window, and got to the mod info / upload screen where I then cancelled. I now have both the esp and bsa in my data directory. I then cleanup the modded loose files in the data\textures\armor... directory, Next, I launch Skyrim, make sure that my mod is checked in the "Data Files" section. As a step further, I even made sure that my mod is loaded after the HD pack mods in NMM. But when I run Skyrim, my texture replacements do not show.

When I go back, and uncheck the 2 HD packs, and launch skyrim again, sure enough, the retexture is there.

I know I could do the HDPack Skyrim.ini [Archive] fix, and it would solve the problem, but as I said, this is a learning experience for me, and I would really like to get it working the steam workshop ESP/BSA way. :)

Thanks for your help.

--bei

It seems like the high-rez packs are being loaded after your mod, thats the only thing that should cause them to take precedence over your mod.

I think that by default the skyrim launcher loads mods in the order they were last modified; also every time you launch the game via the launcher, it will rearrange the mods like this, if you had previously rearranged them in Nexus Mod Manager.

Your mod shouldnt be loading before the high-rez packs unless you DL'd them after you made your mod. If that is the case, just open your mod's esp file and save it again, that should push it down in the load order.

Sure enough, I think that the HD packs are loading after my plugin. As a test, I added a new mesh to my plugin as well as the new textures. With the HD packs enabled, I do get the new mesh, but not the new textures. With the HD packs disabled, I get both new mesh and new textures. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that changing the modified date had any effect on the load order, so I am still at an impasse on how to get this working.

• 1 month later...

As far as I'm aware, you have to split the [Archive] entry into 2 lines. Each line has a maximum of 256 characters

It should look like this -

[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa

If you put them all on one line, some .bsa files won't load.

The maximum is 2 lines named

sResourceArchiveList=

and

sResourceArchiveList2=

Just thought I'd post this and save a lot of people complaining that they have lost all voices, sound, etc... or have no HD textures ingame.

Edited by Tamb0