⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

[LE] Important info for mod authors regarding official HD texture pack

QuickFox

If you don't have a Skyrim.ini inside your Skyrim\data folder, just make the suggested changes (sResourceArchiveList) to Skyrim_default.ini, then copy Skyrim_default.ini from the Skyrim folder into the Skyrim\data folder and rename it Skyrim.ini. That's what I did. I can see the new Beth HD textures and Sylgja once again has the correct body shape and texture. All is right with the pretend world.

I guess my biggest concern is for those who don't see this thread. Maybe one of the dot net coders could write a quick and dirty app to take care of it, sort of like the original ArchiveInvalidation-Validated, then throw it in the Nexus uploads. I haven't written code in so long it would probably take me three days, when it should take about fifteen minutes. But, if this continues to be a problem, I'll take a crack at it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a solution!!!! Don't use the Beth's HD textures. No real mod would ask so much. Okay, their games are super buggy at launch. No biggy.....but come on. A texture mod. Seriously. WHY didn't they separate clothing and body textures from environment textures? Every modder on the Nexus would have thought of this prior to release. They'd think, "Oh, my mod conflicts with 99% of all known mods. Maybe I should rethink this."

I found a solution!!!! Don't use the Beth's HD textures. No real mod would ask so much. Okay, their games are super buggy at launch. No biggy.....but come on. A texture mod. Seriously. WHY didn't they separate clothing and body textures from environment textures? Every modder on the Nexus would have thought of this prior to release. They'd think, "Oh, my mod conflicts with 99% of all known mods. Maybe I should rethink this."

Bit of an overreaction.

After a little further investigation, Ive found that the choice to implement the official HD texture pack as mods actually works just fine with their new creation kit + steam workshop integration.

Basically, you can upload a mod to the steam workshop via the CK, and in doing so it packs all the assets referenced by a custom .esp file that you create or load into a BSA, and associates it with the .esp.

So, essentially this is not a problem for any mods intended to be used with the steam system, only for old-style texture replacers that worked without an .esp file.

Exactly. This is just a temporary workaround to get pre-CK mods working till their maintainers bring them up to the standardised format.

Steamworks users will see none of this, and neither will nexus users once maintainers get their heads around the tools.

In the mean time, we have the flexibility of using both the new pack and our old mods.

I really don't get all the clueless hate.

Oh well, good thing I awaited this texture-pack before updating my own. Now there's a bunch of more stuff to be made before release :dry:

So how exactly do you do to have your custom texture-packs work with this the REAL way with esp's? Like, pack your textures into BSA/'s, and save an esp with the BSA's activated?

And how does overlapping with other BSA-content work when doing it like this? Do you simply work your esp load-order to have different BSA-content overlapping eachother?

If this really has to reach out to all texturers, some sort of quick guide to fix all this would be nice :thumbsup: Personally I think I'll make both a BSA-version and a traditional version of my pack available.

Just to relax and make things more clear: I'm downloading HD textures right now. After this, I should have 2 new .esp with the Bethesda new HD textures pack. If I leave them unchecked they will not be activated and so they will not affect anything...right ?

I'm just worried about the textures replacements I'm using:

- Coverwoman version 3

- Nude Females by Thepal

- Dimonized UNP female body

- Better Males Nudes (no face textures...I don't remember what mod was)

- No blocky faces

Btw, there's any good program other than FallOut Mod Manager to extract the textures from the .bsa ? Just to know...

I use exactly the same set of mods!

After blindly downloading the HD Pack last night and then crying about my beautiful toon looking like an old woman in a coma I can safely say that yes, unchecking both new HD .esp files in the Data section of the launch menu will stop them from being loaded and the game will use your original textures from the sexy mods.

Basically just turn them off for the time being and go back them later. :)

Edited by Radford

I don't think it's a good idea for modders to release texture mods as .esp/.bsa files because then it wouldn't be possible to mix texture mods.

For example I like the landscape textures from 'Mod A' but not the river textures, I want to use the river textures from 'Mod B'.

It is possible to do this now because I just pick the textures I like and dump them into the data folder, however, if both 'Mod A' and 'Mod B' are in .esp/.bsa format it wouldn't be possible because one overwrites the other.

I don't think it's a good idea for modders to release texture mods as .esp/.bsa files because then it wouldn't be possible to mix texture mods.

For example I like the landscape textures from 'Mod A' but not the river textures, I want to use the river textures from 'Mod B'.

It is possible to do this now because I just pick the textures I like and dump them into the data folder, however, if both 'Mod A' and 'Mod B' are in .esp/.bsa format it wouldn't be possible because one overwrites the other.

Well, you can always extract the BSA's into your data-folder and pick whatever textures you want the good old way ;)

But I agree, I personally dont like the idea of BSA's for this type of mod. I like to see the files my mods change, and adjust it to my liking. But for a modder it's all kind of up to how easy you want your mod to be installed for less experienced users who dont want to mess around with config-files. Mixing Nexus-mods with Steam-mods will really turn things upside down, at least in this particular matter of texture-replacers.

Okay, I've searched the internet everywhere and must admit defeat.

I haven't had a TES game Construction Kit open since I modded Morrowind ~10 years ago. I am completely blank as how to add my textures replacers to a mod inside the Creation Kit. I've opened the kit, created a mod called Hvergelmir's Armor Retexture, but from there I'm completely blank as what to do next (at least until I get to the upload process, I know how that works).

One of the reasons I started retexture projects was because of the simplicity in it, all you had to do is create new textures and replace the old ones. Now you have to do additional work, at least if you want to be part of the Steam Workshop modding community. I'm sure it's pretty simple to do, I just haven't figured out how. I've searched through the internet and through the CK wiki and found nothing about textures or texture replacers...

Someone explain it to me? Should hopefully be very simple and I'm just missing something.

it maybe not really related about the topic at all, but for all of you guys and gals that already using the HD texture add on, just want to know about..

is it worth it, you know, to get these HD texture add on ? already using many texture replacer tho, really want to know your opinion about it

Edited by ebony_ivory