Your Chance to Rant about Entitled Mod Users for FO4

Fkemman11

As I look through the mods on offer for Fallout 4, I am surprised to see how many mod authors complain about users criticizing- no- ridiculing their hard work. I have noted this from at least ten authors or more. It is disturbing for me to see this. Because I understand that it is work to make these, often in a person's spare time (what little there is nowadays) while trying to juggle personal problems, a family, a job (or two) and more. Where did this completely unrealistic sense of entitlement from users come from? I don't recall this kind of attitude from mod users for other games- or at least not to this extent. What do they think to accomplish by being rude to authors? Do they realize that people do not HAVE to make anything for them? It is an aggravating situation to be sure. If every mod author took to heart the increasing number of negative comments about their work and quit sharing then where would the modding community end up? GONE!!! That's where.

So am I only seeing something that has been going on for some time now? Or is this becoming more of a problem- especially for Fallout 4? Maybe I'm just making a mountain of a molehill. What do you think? :geek:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's an offshoot of the Keyboard Warrior phenomenon ? You know , you post some innocuous comment on Youtube like the one where I said that Dionne Warwick's version of "Say A Little Prayer" was as good as Aretha Franklins and I get roasted by one or two people who fire off 4 letter words at me.

It's also maybe linked to Social Justice Warriors. There's a lot of anger about these days.

Blame Skyrim. That game spoiled a lot of people. There was not a whole lot of entitlement in Morrowind and Oblivion, also different generation of gamers.

Strange though, I figure people would be ok with anything given the amount of 'modding in Fallout is dead' threads that surfaced so much. And like I said on the Skyrim boards, it's going to come from folks couldn't mod themselves out of a wet paper bag. The act of opening the CK might just make them s*** their pants.

Edited by Lisselli

On and off it was in New Vegas too. I've taken a little flame myself on a few of the humble mods I've made. In my case it was a matter of people not reading the description - or not thinking I made this body / that face look like RL. One thing I have noticed is that those most likely to criticize harshly are people who's hardly posted anything - let alone uploaded a single pic. Not to mention some kind of mod.

Even extremely talented modders like Llama (Companions), Millennia (Weapons) NMC (Textures) and other in the same heavy weight league have had to put up with people flaming them for not doing this mod to THEIR specific liking. Or trying to make a modder change it to fit his/her personal idea of what it should be like.

It's a manners thing, imo. People (both players and mod authors) sometimes forget that there's a real person on the other side of the conversation. It's easy to do when all communication is done via a keyboard and so they don't think too seriously about what they type before the hit enter and post their comment.

Those same comments would never happen if the people in that conversation were in the same room together. Anonymity encourages bad behavior. If no one knows who you are then you don't need to be nice because there are no real repercussions to being rude. In real life if you act poorly you suffer actual consequences for that. People don't like you, don't want to be around you, etc. Here the consequences are minor.

RE: is this new, worse with FO4, etc

No, it's been around forever but how often you see it seems to be a function of how many players are in the community. More players means more bad behavior.

@Bernt <3

Edit: I'm not complaining about this, btw. Most of the comments I get are nice and supportive or critical in a constructive and positive way (and by most I mean very, very close to 100% of them). I don't care when someone comes in to tell me how much they hate my work if they're polite about it (although I'm never sure why they bother). I assume players want help and aren't trying to be jerks even if the comment they've made sounds harsh. I only delete comments that are both rude and demanding or entitled and insulting, etc.

"I am surprised to see how many mod authors complain about users criticizing- no- ridiculing their hard work. I have noted this from at least ten authors or more. It is disturbing for me to see this."

Nexus Fallout 4 users, as a group, are wonderful IMHO. Not trying to be sarcastic. On a percentage basis, the "entitled" ones are as close to zero as can reasonably be expected, and often the rude/entitled comments are an opportunity for us to better explain something on the mod page or rework something in the mod to "idiot proof" it.

That said, I'm intentionally a jerk in the comment sticky post (e.g. Fusion City Rising, Outcasts & Remnants) because I want to make the ground rules extremely clear. And for the most part that seems to work in filtering out "entitled" users from ever posting. DDProductions83 also noted that- the harsher he was in the sticky post, the higher and more useful the quality of comments.

As for the console users posting on Nexus, rather than answering them each time about why the mod is not on console (even though the mod page they didn't read clarifies it), it's easier to just make a video about it and link them the video whenever they ask:

Comes across as perhaps rude/harsh, but being harsh and direct upfront is a sanity issue. Ultimately I want to spend time making mods, not providing mod support.

I am fortunate and have been spared the harshest of ridicule. I think that it is because my mods are pretty innocuous (all three of them :laugh: ).

But I have seen some of the hate that is spewed by a few "mod users". Most of it seems to be based on the "mod users" desire to influence the "mod creator" to so something different. The flames start when the "mod users" frustration sets in and their inner child throws a tantrum.

And I have seen some of the harsher responses from "mod creators" (like those by DDProductions83 mentioned above). From my chair, these responses are just as childish and hateful as any by the "mod users".

In these exchanges, the "mod users" come across as entitled brats and the "mod creators" come across as elitist snobs. To me, both look like two year old children who are stomping their feet with their fists on their hips. Neither party in these exchanges is blameless.

Edited by PoorlyAged