Your Chance to Rant about Entitled Mod Users for FO4

Fkemman11

@ llamaRCA So if I complained that Heather paces like a nervous cat all the time and it is annoying- that is ok? :tongue:

I'm guessing this is a joke, in which case the answer is, "Yes?"

But if you are serious and have feedback to give then go comment in Heather's thread. I'm currently putting together the list of stuff to do for the next update. The mod will never improve if you dislike something about it but don't go into the thread to tell me what it is or how it's not working so I can do something about it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ llamaRCA So if I complained that Heather paces like a nervous cat all the time and it is annoying- that is ok? :tongue:

I'm guessing this is a joke, in which case the answer is, "Yes?"

But if you are serious and have feedback to give then go comment in Heather's thread. I'm currently putting together the list of stuff to do for the next update. The mod will never improve if you dislike something about it but don't go into the thread to tell me what it is or how it's not working so I can do something about it.

I was kinda kidding. But you do make a fair point that without some seemingly harsh criticism from time to time you may never get the truth about your work. For instance I was recently criticized for having shittey looking pics. and this made me realize that I need a much better setup. Everyone else was very nice and supportive, but , the one guy who just called it while not being nice about it is the one that made me think. He was right even though he could have used better tact. :happy:

I know this doesn't compare to a mod at all. But I definitely get your point. Believe me when I say if I do have a problem with your mod and I think you should know then I will tell you so. But I try to do so in a constructive way. :smile:

I think the criticism of the quality of your screenshots is way over the top! That one always drives me nuts! I'm sorry I don't have the best rig and don't play the game on ultra with 10k texture packs and .ini tweaks pushing the graphics beyond the limits but, I spend a lot of time on the mod and someone doesn't like the mod because of my screens then well they can bite me. :devil:

• 5 weeks later...

I've been modding Bethesda games since Morrowind and then moved on to FO3, FONV and then Skyrim and I've always made it a practice to try to fix problems myself without bothering the mod authors. The great folks involved in the modding community have given us a ton of very useful tools and tutorials and quite a lot of information on modding in general, and all of it is readily available if you bother too actually look. Reading a mod page in its entirety and seeing if there are any known conflicts and any required mods should be a no-brainer. If you can't even be bothered to do that, you have got no sympathy from me when you whine the mod "broke your game".

But, in my experience there are two types of folks that complain about mods and tend to be the most vocal about their discontent. The first is the one who wants a mod tailored to their every whim and demands the mod author change this or that because it's not up to their exacting standards of "realism" or whatever rubbish they are spouting. Custom weapon mods get this a LOT, with damage being either too high, or too low, or a particular weapon isn't weathered or rusted enough. Hey, just a hint, but the M4, and many other modern firearms, are made out of aircraft aluminum which doesn't rust morons. Pet peeve of mine, I know.

Another vocal group is the ones who demand, not ask, but demand that the mod author change their mod to work with obscure mod #244 that they have installed and why don't they work together, and the author should change it to work with their specific load order. Or I don't like this one specific comment that this custom follower makes because it conflicts with this one mod I have, so change your mod to never reference that part of the story because I'm a special snowflake. And yes, that is just about a direct quote. There are currently 614 pages of mods on the Nexus alone and for a mod author to try to get his/her mod to work with every single one of them would be impossible. There are going to be conflicts when modding your game, and most of them are relatively easy to fix, or should I say, a strait forward fix if you know what you’re doing. FO4Edit makes it ridiculously easy to locate conflicts and see what the problem is, and 99% of the time, just dragging and dropping an entry is all that is needed. Don't like the damage on a weapon? It takes about 2 seconds to edit it in FO4Edit, and you can make it whatever you want.

Modding your game requires you to have at least a basic understanding of how mods work and how they are going to interact with each other. If you have two mods that both make changes to the same thing, they are not going to work together without you doing a little bit of work on your part. Sometimes a patch is required, and a lot of mod authors do make patches to make their mod work with another popular mod but sometimes it just isn't possible. And no amount of bleating on your part is going to make them change it. Good example would be the mods that change world spaces, like Goodneighbor for instance, or Diamond City. Another perfect example is FogOut. Great mod, but I almost constantly have to go in and change one entry in FO4Edit to make it work with any other mod I install that edits a cell. Because the new mod I just installed resets it back to the vanilla value. And if you have no idea how a mod works, or what load order even means, chances are, you have mods installed that aren't working as intended.

On the other hand, it is incredibly annoying when you DL a mod, read the page, make sure you have anything you need and it still screws up something. I've found mods that make changes to the game that aren't even mentioned on the mod page or that have nothing to do with the mod itself. Sometimes it's because a record got opened in CK while they were building the mod for whatever reason, but suddenly this and such gets over written by the new mod and your tearing your hair out trying to figure out WTH just happened. LOOT helps with pointing out if there are dirty edits, but it only goes so far and it doesn't tell you if a change is an intentional part of a mod, or an unintended goof by the mod author. And pointing this out to the mod author sometimes gets it fixed, or sometimes you get the "working as intended" response, or worse, no response at all.

If anything I have a problem with screenshots being too nice. Like, with ENB, graphics pushed to the max, maybe even postediting so that the mod looks nothing like it will in my game. I love to see mod authors post unedited shots from their everday setups. It may not look as pretty but it gives me a much better idea of what I'll be getting if I download the mod.

Most of the complaints about mods that I've seen come down to "I really want mods made exactly to my own specifications but I'm too lazy to do my own work."

Custom weapon mods get this a LOT, with damage being either too high, or too low, or a particular weapon isn't weathered or rusted enough. Hey, just a hint, but the M4, and many other modern firearms, are made out of aircraft aluminum which doesn't rust morons.

You are spot on about this. I am getting ever so close to one day releasing my first custom weapon mod and have kept a close eye on other comments weapon mod authors get in their comment sections. When I read other mod author pages who have made great custom weapons and I see commenters saying stuff like "this was already done, whats the point of your mod?" or "No animations this gun is useless" type of stuff I feel less and less inclined to go public with whatever I make. I would love to say its just one off but every weapon mod comments section I see quite a few of those posts. One guy his first mod ever uploaded for Fallout 4 and the first post he got was basically saying how he didn't need to make this becasue someone did a 'better' job already. I mean that is quite a thing to say let alone to someone just getting into sharing Fallout 4 content. Anyone who has dabbed a bit or made a full weapon custom mod knows how time consuming and long of a process this is, it literally can span months for a single gun and the first day in the comments section your gun is basically labeled as 'not up to par' by random X user.

I love comments that go like this: your mod doesn't work for me fix it/your mod broke my game. Or: your mod is conflicting with this mod make ma a patch now! Seriously. I try to be a nice person but sometimes only logical answer should be "you are stupid go away". No details about what doesn't work. I understand being clueless about how mods work but they could at least be nice about it? My favourites are:

1. I've got a ton of mods installed and your doesn't work/bugs: it's broke. Even if it works for everybody else.

2. Reporting a bug because game doesn't want to start after binge-installing a ton of mods at once and it definitely is your mod. No details are ever given.

3. I did not read the description because who has time for that, how to do this and that in your mod?

4. I don't like that minor detail. Change it.

5. I'll install your mod after you change this and that.

>.<

- EDIT -

Also Nexus community seems to be a bit spoiled. You want a nice reaction to your mod? Post it for Xbox on Bethesda. I was super surprised. Not a lot of comments but the one you'll get are mostly nice or relevant questions. It's like a mod posted 4 days ago. Nexus 600+ downloads Xbox 4000+ it's good for ones ego :P

Edited by Syngrith

You want a nice reaction to your mod? Post it for Xbox on Bethesda. I was super surprised. Not a lot of comments but the one you'll get are mostly nice or relevant questions. It's like a mod posted 4 days ago. Nexus 600+ downloads Xbox 4000+ it's good for ones ego :P

Only if you have a mod that doesn't take up much space against the cap. Put up something with a bunch of custom textures, and watch the complaints start.

"Your mod's too big. Can you make it smaller?" No. No I can't, because textures. Lower size = lower quality, and I'm not making my work look crappy just so it takes less space.

One jackass even put a comment that blared "WARNING: EXTREME MOD".

This is why I stopped updating at BethNet. I got tired of people griping at me about the size of the mod, and demands to make it smaller.

So yes, post something small and you'll get a good response. Post something big, and instead of "thanks for sharing" you'll get complaints.

But, in my experience there are two types of folks that complain about mods and tend to be the most vocal about their discontent.

There is a third type you can add to the list that I've only recently encountered: those who think your mod is missing some feature they can't live without and try and add it by using console commands without fully understand what they are doing. They then turn around and blame you for doing something nefarious to the mod when their little experiment doesn't go as planned. Of course, reading mod descriptions doesn't apply to this group either.