Your Chance to Rant about Entitled Mod Users for FO4

Fkemman11

I will ask a stupid question. How would you stop a person testing your mod from stealing credit for its development by publishing it themselves?

Where would they publish? Here you can just prove you made it with your game files and history and whatever else you got around if you worked on the mod. Other places that don't abide to rules.. good luck.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will ask a stupid question. How would you stop a person testing your mod from stealing credit for its development by publishing it themselves?

I've had that happen when one of my mods had a WIP thread and the file available for testing. I never did it that way again. I abandoned the mod not long after due to several that took it and ran with it, putting their name on it.

Had one similar years before that. Reported it several times and it's still here to this day. On this very site.

So, I don't do WIP threads, ever.

If you report it (with evidence) and nothing is done about it what can you do? In my experience, nothing.

Edited by star-mystyk

you don't. but 99% of the time, most people in the community know who the original creator is.

if it is a WIP mod in beta or alpha testing then chances are it will have bugs (and in a Bethesda game that could be a save killer) so if they release it as their own mod they will have to bear the wrath of the "entitled mod users" who have just lost their 400 hour saves.

you don't. but 99% of the time, most people in the community know who the original creator is.

if it is a WIP mod in beta or alpha testing then chances are it will have bugs (and in a Bethesda game that could be a save killer) so if they release it as their own mod they will have to bear the wrath of the "entitled mod users" who have just lost their 400 hour saves.

Rule #1 when adding a new mod to a game. BACK UP YOUR SAVE FILES. But do they listen?

It is no wonder some of us have no sympathy for these users.

Edited by PoorlyAged

I could be wrong here but I think you can upload the WIP version of your mod on the nexus and set it to hidden. File page will still show the date it was uploaded so you could upload the WIP version you want people to test then hide it, wait a week and let the public test, and if someone tries to take credit for your work just unhide the WIP version showing the date it was uploaded to prove you uploaded a week before.

Dunno. In eight years, I've never seen it happen.

I could be wrong here but I think you can upload the WIP version of your mod on the nexus and set it to hidden. File page will still show the date it was uploaded so you could upload the WIP version you want people to test then hide it, wait a week and let the public test, and if someone tries to take credit for your work just unhide the WIP version showing the date it was uploaded to prove you uploaded a week before.

Yes you can start a new mod page without a file and not publish it. until your ready. This will save your mods name because there can't be two mods with the same name and provided proof you it is your project.

As a LOOONG time software developer, I am used to having my work reviewed at several stages of development. Architecture, design, code and test reviews were standard practice. It was one of the things that lead to good code getting into the users hands.

But mod creators are generally a bunch of lone cowboys who think that getting a review of their work before publishing it is a sign of weakness. But a good technical peer review before publishing a mod could prevent some of the crapola that gets delivered to users and pis... ah ... annoys them.

If we worked together that would be great, but we're mostly lone cowboys because we mostly work alone. Also, talking to mod authors about their work is often tricky. They don't much like reviews of their work after they've published either. Questions are often viewed as criticism, polite suggestions are often viewed as attacks, etc. I find that although many modders complain about comments that offer nothing but a thanks or flattery, it is exactly those comments that are least likely to cause misunderstandings, irritation, etc. I can understand why players mostly stick to very innocuous comments.

And because of that tendency for many players to either tiptoe around our egos or defend our work from players that are not exclusively supportive, I'm not sure "entitled" players are a terrible thing. They don't care what mod authors or other players think so they come into threads and suggest anything, which is better than players saying nothing because even the rudest player may bring an issue to your thread that highlights what you could have done better. I'd rather get "too many" suggestions, questions, etc in a thread than nothing at all.