⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

CK - Character Creation - Body and Face-color mismatch

jix92

Just ran into this article searching for a fix, as all my modded npc's seem to suffer this issue in someway or another (especially the dark elves because their skin colour is pretty much in the extremes (from nearly caucasian white to ashgray) and this does seem to fix it for me, the colours at the very least seem to blend better, it's not gray on yellowish...

So thanks a ton and i'll be sure to pass this on... (after i'm done fixing all my npc's) (which is a lot o_O)

Naz.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To fix the issue for newly created npcs convert your esp to an esm using wyre bash or one of the other tools out there and then use the same ctrl-f4 technique described earlier. This worked for me and also fixed the issues I had previously with face paint not showing. Hope that helps. Edited by dane0202

Ok, I found a fix that works for pre existing/editted NPCs, it does not work for newly created NPCs. This is from one of the staff on the Beth forums, I tried it, it works and it is quite easy.

Here's a technique that helps when modifying an NPC from the base game.

•Locate some pre-existing NPC. I chose Hadvar.

•Edit the Actor > Character Gen Parts tab. I decided to make a drastic lip color change

•Click MaleHeadNord_Lips.dds in the left-sice "Face Tint Layers" list

•Click "Select Color" - choose something extreme, like a neon green

•Slide "Interpolation Value" all the way to the right (1.0)

•Click OK

•In the Object Window, find the base Actor you've just edited.

•With the Actor(s) selected, press ctrl+F4. Click "Yes" when prompted to export.

•This will create a DDS and a TGA in ...\Syrim\data\Textures\Actors\Character\FaceGenData\FaceTint\Skyrim.esm

•Note: The TGA is not really neccessary, as the DDS should be uncompressed.

•With these textures in place, run the game and test your NPC. Note that the plugin changes need not be saved.

When asked about it working for newly created NPCs his reply was "Unfortunately not. That's an issue we are looking into."

I'm working on editing an existing NPC, but when I hit ctrl+F-4 there are no prompts to export. What can I do to get my changes into the game?

Well, thats a great step forward, thanks for that Jupitus!

But still, good to know that it is a bug, not a mistake i made - hopefully bethesda is going to fix that soon...

Till then i can improve my npc-manipulation skills with existing npcs, should be helpful anyway :)

thanks.

I'm assuming this does not work for base NPCs that were duplicated, and then edited? (ie you duplicated it, and then changed the base ID?) This has been driving me insane.

Didn't work for me...

I made a copy of Vex, altered her face and hair and changed her into a follower, but she always displays in the game with a disturbingly dark face. I tried the export trick exactly as listed, and the face is still black. Am I supposed to use the original base NPC (in this case Vex) or is it supposed to not matter?

Ok, I found a fix that works for pre existing/editted NPCs, it does not work for newly created NPCs. This is from one of the staff on the Beth forums, I tried it, it works and it is quite easy.

Here's a technique that helps when modifying an NPC from the base game.

•Locate some pre-existing NPC. I chose Hadvar.

•Edit the Actor > Character Gen Parts tab. I decided to make a drastic lip color change

•Click MaleHeadNord_Lips.dds in the left-sice "Face Tint Layers" list

•Click "Select Color" - choose something extreme, like a neon green

•Slide "Interpolation Value" all the way to the right (1.0)

•Click OK

•In the Object Window, find the base Actor you've just edited.

•With the Actor(s) selected, press ctrl+F4. Click "Yes" when prompted to export.

•This will create a DDS and a TGA in ...\Syrim\data\Textures\Actors\Character\FaceGenData\FaceTint\Skyrim.esm

•Note: The TGA is not really neccessary, as the DDS should be uncompressed.

•With these textures in place, run the game and test your NPC. Note that the plugin changes need not be saved.

When asked about it working for newly created NPCs his reply was "Unfortunately not. That's an issue we are looking into."

OK, one more time for the slow ones. I'm an old retired dude. I still get either a dark face or a dark band across the forehead after following the steps. This dark band is visible even inside the Creation Kit when I pull up the actor/character. And of course it appears in the output .esp and the .dds, .tga

So I'm guessing my skyrim.esm may be corrupted. I'm trying to edit Jordis - HousecarlSolitude. After we got married I promised her a day at the spa and salon. But, she has a brown patch across the forehead.

I randomly checked a few other characters like Lisette and Heimskr. They don't have the brown forehead.

So I guess I know the answer, I've somehow got a corrupted version of Jordis. But how to fix?

This gave the npc I tried to edit a transparent ring of mixing texture around her neck. Hey it almost worked except for said missing ring which I tried to delete the files, but it was still there. Sucks cause I really like my npc. Maybe I'll show pics so someone can help the cause.

Edit, it's a problem with the face mesh, deleted it then loaded my edited npc esp. and made a new mesh and I am back to square 1. sucks. Is the first part with making something neon green absolutely necessary?

Hi there,

I suppose you just left some erroneous color on DDS texture files column (Sorry, I don't have the tool right now, I can't be more specific)

Just search for the color you're seeing on Jordi's face on DDS texture files column,

change it to white; close unit window; select your character -> CTRL+F4 (you'll be advised about saving data by a "DONE" pop-up windows)

You can verify the correction on texture in SKYRIM/DATA/TEXTURES folder

Regards

OK, one more time for the slow ones. I'm an old retired dude. I still get either a dark face or a dark band across the forehead after following the steps. This dark band is visible even inside the Creation Kit when I pull up the actor/character. And of course it appears in the output .esp and the .dds, .tga

So I'm guessing my skyrim.esm may be corrupted. I'm trying to edit Jordis - HousecarlSolitude. After we got married I promised her a day at the spa and salon. But, she has a brown patch across the forehead.

I randomly checked a few other characters like Lisette and Heimskr. They don't have the brown forehead.

So I guess I know the answer, I've somehow got a corrupted version of Jordis. But how to fix?

Edited by AryanMather