$60 for a digital download? Really?

WeissYohji

You should all count yourselves lucky that $60 is the most you're paying. Try living in Australia. Normal cost of Skyrim on Steam - $90. Sale cost of Skyrim - $60. And our dollar is at parity (actually a little over parity in our favour) with the US$. Welcome to Australia! The land of the computer game rip off! :mad: There's a reason why I don't buy games on Steam unless they're at a 50% discount or more.

Either make a US steam account, or have a friend with one buy your games and gift it to you via steam. That should help you get it at a more reasonable cost.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm... you know what the going price is for DVD's these days? Like $20 for 100. Retail.

The combination of DVD, packaging and whatever pittance of a manual they deign to include these days amouts to maybe $5 worth of stuff. Tops. Theres no discount associated between digital purchases and the hard copy.

Except that you are forgetting the retailer's profit.

You can only mark up a can of soda so much before people refuse to buy it.

That's true. But in the case of the Skyrim soda, $60 digital was nowhere near too much. Millions sold proves that. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to pay less (actually I did, <3 black Friday) but the market will support more.

Wow, not going to get much compassion from this group. Lol. I understand what you're saying. It takes money to print out the booklet and make the jewel case and the dvd itself. You would think you'd save a little bit of money but I guess not. :( You may be better off just buying the hard copy.

Why, Bethesda? Why charge us $60 for a digital download of anything? Oh, sure, there's this Steam sale where it's been marked down to $40, but that's still far too much for a digital download! I could see that kind of pricing for the physical game, but there is no reason why we should be charged an arm and a leg for the digital content! what the f*** are they even thinking with this? You can only mark up a can of soda so much before people refuse to buy it. Likewise, you can only charge so much for a download before nobody wants to buy it! Why must they charge us this much? If I wanted to pay the full price for the game, that's what the physical retail version is for!

I guess you'll have to stop buying games then. The industry standard is $60.

You can buy Skyrim for $60, or spend $180 on three other games, and you'll still have more hours of content with Skyrim and the CK.

Edited by Rennn

For example I happened to be at the local mall over the weekend to buy a new mouse. While we were shopping we hit 3 of the major retailers for entertainment products such as televisions, computer peripherals and games. Not even the biggest retailer in our country (Multimax) has Skyrim on physical disc. They don't even know when it will be available. Also if and when it gets here the physical copy of the game will be $20 to $30 higher than it was for me to get it online. That is where (not supporting Steam) companies like Steam do once in a while come in handy. For people like me that don't live in the USA or someplace similar. Now if I could only find a keyboard that i like.