Potential DLC Detailed - GAME JAM

chocolambot

Everyone is complaining on how "empty" Skyrim was. It was for PC, but the PS3 and Xbox community found the game to be flawless. Sure, the typical bug every once and a while, but nothing major. That's why I played it on PS3 for the longest time. Then switched to PC because 1.3 fixed the game to a playable point.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We pc gamers could run all of those effects extremely well. But, what about the consoles? You have to remember that consoles are still running five year old hardware. They would not be able to support all of these effects at all. Especially the seasonal changes and so on. There is a reason why the hires texture pack that they released was for us and not consoles. Simply because of the hardware limitations. Skyrim was solely built with consoles in mind. Consoles were the center piece of the development of the game, the 360 to be specific, and so we get kicked in the ass because of it.

Now, I am not going to gripe to much about this simply because we aren't going to get effects like that in the final product until consoles up their hardware. And that won't be till next year or the year after. So keep that in mind. Sure the consoles would be able to have horse combat, dragon mounts and so on, but then that would push the dragons out of the "spotlight" as todd said. Which really angers me, but that's ok because what makes one person mad doesn't mean everyone else will agree.

I really do hope that some of these features will be released via expansion dlc's and so on. Horse combat I don't think will make it to be honest, but the new spell effects, animations for spears, flowing water, and goblins do sound like more of the things that we "might" see. Hopefully that is.

-Elsarian

That's as much bulls*** as you can possibly throw at it.

The texture packs, I can understand, but the difference in performance between Skyrim with Horse Combat and Skyrim without it would be so negligible, that it makes no sense to not include it. Consoles can go suck a longshank, PC gamers have been getting the s*** end of the stick for years. It's about time the consoles were jealous of us, damnit.

And for those screaming "Modders, hop to it," you have to remember - Beth still has full access to their own tools and all we get are dumbed down kits. It's akin to sculpting from marble and then having your students try it in playdough. It'll never be the same because we don't have unrestricted access to the engine.

This is an atrocity. They never should have shown this footage at all - most of you happy gamers were happy with their shitty upgrade of Oblivion in the first place, and now all they've done is embittered their fanbase.

I for one will never buy another Bethesda game so long as this remains their standard course of action, and I've been with this series more than a decade.

I wonder how much of these could be doable with the tools modders currently have available...

Many of them aren't doable for the modding community.

For example:

We can't create new weapon categories, so no spears.

We can't create new perk trees because that is tied into actor values and we can't create new actor values, so no Lycanthropy perk tree.

Etc etc etc.

We pc gamers could run all of those effects extremely well. But, what about the consoles? You have to remember that consoles are still running five year old hardware. They would not be able to support all of these effects at all. Especially the seasonal changes and so on. There is a reason why the hires texture pack that they released was for us and not consoles. Simply because of the hardware limitations. Skyrim was solely built with consoles in mind. Consoles were the center piece of the development of the game, the 360 to be specific, and so we get kicked in the ass because of it.

Now, I am not going to gripe to much about this simply because we aren't going to get effects like that in the final product until consoles up their hardware. And that won't be till next year or the year after. So keep that in mind. Sure the consoles would be able to have horse combat, dragon mounts and so on, but then that would push the dragons out of the "spotlight" as todd said. Which really angers me, but that's ok because what makes one person mad doesn't mean everyone else will agree.

I really do hope that some of these features will be released via expansion dlc's and so on. Horse combat I don't think will make it to be honest, but the new spell effects, animations for spears, flowing water, and goblins do sound like more of the things that we "might" see. Hopefully that is.

-Elsarian

The texture packs, I can understand, but the difference in performance between Skyrim with Horse Combat and Skyrim without it would be so negligible, that it makes no sense to not include it. Consoles can go suck a longshank, PC gamers have been getting the s*** end of the stick for years. It's about time the consoles were jealous of us, damnit.

And for those screaming "Modders, hop to it," you have to remember - Beth still has full access to their own tools and all we get are dumbed down kits. It's akin to sculpting from marble and then having your students try it in playdough. It'll never be the same because we don't have unrestricted access to the engine.

This is an atrocity. They never should have shown this footage at all - most of you happy gamers were happy with their shitty upgrade of Oblivion in the first place, and now all they've done is embittered their fanbase.

I for one will never buy another Bethesda game so long as this remains their standard course of action, and I've been with this series more than a decade.

BS and more BS.

Very few PC's do much better than consoles. I have a QuadCore i7 920 and Radeon 4890 which was pretty awesome a couple of years ago. But I can't run Skyrim with things all on high, much less ultra, on my 2560x1600 monitor, no way. I'd need an non-computer monitor, like an HDTV that consoles use, in order to do that.

So you're either living in a fantasy world or happen to be one of the top 1%. Fortunately, you're not the market.

-Elsarian

BS and more BS.

Very few PC's do much better than consoles. I have a QuadCore i7 920 and Radeon 4890 which was pretty awesome a couple of years ago. But I can't run Skyrim with things all on high, much less ultra, on my 2560x1600 monitor, no way. I'd need an non-computer monitor, like an HDTV that consoles use, in order to do that.

So you're either living in a fantasy world or happen to be one of the top 1%. Fortunately, you're not the market.

Whoa, whoa, now you have completely taken what I said out of context. I stated that pc's would be able to run these effects better than that of a console. Which, in your mind, should have registered the fact that we can customize and improve our systems when ever we feel like it given enough time and money. Whereas consoles are restricted to whenever the next system will be available. Pc's can evolve much more faster than that of a console so the games can to. BUT there is a problem seeing that the majority of the fanbase for most game developers are made up of their console players. Which is perfectly fine. I still play on my 360 whenever I get interested in a game that is not available for pc. That is fine and dandy. However, this is old, outdated hardware. And you know that for a fact.

Now, I do not appreciate you taking what I said out of context and then insulting me. Never did I ever take what I said out on anyone. Not you, nor anyone else. I simply stated what we all should now know: That consoles sorely need an update so that the games will get one too. Now, are you understanding what I am saying a little more clearly now?

There's a lot of feelings of entitlement floating around here. I for one would have liked many of the features in the vanilla game, but, there's nothing I can do. I do hope that some of them show up in DLCs, and that they're given a fair price.

-Elsarian

BS and more BS.

Uh...you DO realize that HIGH settings in Skyrim are already higher than the crap graphics of, say, the 360, right? You're being ridiculous and assumptive and accusatory.

I wonder how much of these could be doable with the tools modders currently have available...
Many of them aren't doable for the modding community.For example:We can't create new weapon categories, so no spears.We can't create new perk trees because that is tied into actor values and we can't create new actor values, so no Lycanthropy perk tree.Etc etc etc.

Shame.

Though modders did manage to get voice recognition shouts to work already ;)

BS and more BS.

Wow the ignorance is very high here. The reason why so many games nowadays don't run well on PCs is becuase of shitty developers - they design and optimize code for consoles, then PORT the codebase to PC. Conole hardware is different from PCs, they rely on the CPU to do most of the work. Either u make the code to suit the console system, or the PC system - usually the deadlines to not allow developers to optimize for both platforms.

So, what they did was to optimize for consoles. Why? It is because PC systems have vastly superior capabilities - consoles use five year old hardware and little RAM and this requires heavy optimization to get decent framerates , while PCs can run unoptimized code and get the same performance with consoles.

Also there is no denying that developers get more income from consoles than PCs.

all those things were made after the game was shipped

Why put it in the game on it's release, when you can sel it a little later as separate DLCs?

Overall, have to agree we what soeone already said, I find that vido to be very frustrating. All that could've been, all that should've been...

Edited by elvinkun