How much did Amalur steal from Skyrim/Oblivion exactly?

Feanoro

Ken Rolston, Lead Game Designer of OBLIVION was one of the major developers for Kingdoms of Amalur.

This is why you see so many things that are the same.

My opinion? Honesty? I'm happy that TES has some competition. If there are more OWRPG's (Open World) then Bethesda/Elder Scrolls can't afford to make the mistakes they did in Skyrim. Before KoA, TES had the luxury of just doing whatever. They didn't have any competition other than their own series (Fallout). The massive bugs and gamebreaking crap that plagued Skyrim's launch are mistakes that wouldn't be acceptable in an FPS genre, because people can so easily to get another game to play. Skyrim is sort of unique, until now. But unless KoA has modding potential, its not really anything to compete with the mighty Elder Scrolls.

I'm happy to see some competition, and hopefully it will produce better games as a result. I wouldn't underestimate Ken Rolston, he was there during Oblivion.

EDIT: EA sucks

Edited by Stormcrown

When I first loaded up KoA I didn't think I would like it. Now about 11 to 12 hours in and I am finding it to be very enjoyable. I played the dickens out of Skyrim until I just got so bored I can't even play more with a new character. Amalur has far better combat. I haven't tried the magic yet. The quest lines are fun and the stories even though they are go here get that and return have some nice twists to them. In my opinion I would say those that are bashing KoA haven't taken the time to play it. I am a true Bethesda believer when it comes to open world gaming but they better shape it up because there is now a lot of heat coming up on their a$. Oh yes and I might add that the entire time I have played I have had NO BUGS or performance related issues and no CTDs. AS for the similarities sure there are a lot of them. But you kind of have ot expect that in the genre of RPGs. Edited by elleonblanco

KoA is nothing like an elder scrolls game, its a action game first RPG second. i dont know why everyone says this game has awesome combat maybe i hate action games but pressing X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,block,X,X, quicktime event which you have to press X 30 more times(not joking) isnt awesome combat. its also borrows awful cameras action games are known for, blind spots everywhere.

strangely merchants are finite. they will NOT restock items what so ever. all lockpicks, all potions, all item from merchants are finite. its annoying as hell to me. after i buy everything in a town, it becomes useless for the rest of the game.

i dont like the art style of the game, it was ripped off from world of warcraft. the dungeons are awful and reused a lot. worst when you kill the thing at the end of the dungeon you have walk all the way back. there is no quick way at the end of most dungeons.

but i do like the game, its ok. i dont think ill play it twice.

Edited by hector530

KoA is nothing like an elder scrolls game, its a action game first RPG second. i dont know why everyone says this game has awesome combat maybe i hate action games but pressing X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,block,X,X, quicktime event which you have to press X 30 more times(not joking) isnt awesome combat. its also borrows awful cameras action games are known for, blind spots everywhere.

strangely merchants are finite. they will NOT restock items what so ever. all lockpicks, all potions, all item from merchants are finite. its annoying as hell to me. after i buy everything in a town, it becomes useless for the rest of the game.

i dont like the art style of the game, it was ripped off from world of warcraft. the dungeons are awful and reused a lot. worst when you kill the thing at the end of the dungeon you have walk all the way back. there is no quick way at the end of most dungeons.

How did you get your Skyrim Argonian like that? What mod?

my profile pic is from oblivion and you can make abino argonians in vanilla oblivion without mods or anything. if thats what you're talking about.

my profile pic is from oblivion and you can make abino argonians in vanilla oblivion without mods or anything. if thats what you're talking about.

LOL, I thought he was from Skyrim, and it was a mod. It was so small I couldn't see. I was hyped because I thought I could have remade my 'Neon' Oblivion Argonian.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/joniscrazy/Argo.jpg

Color options in vanilla Skyrim character creation is beyond lackluster.

Edited by Xarnac

After reading this thread, i went to youtube and checked a few videos of that game.

Only thing i gotta say is i won't be touching that game even with a 10 feet pole.

Those graphics and animations remind me way too much of WoW . I was hoping that new MMOs or RPGs in general would lean a lot more towards Skyrim rather than WoW. But because WoW still has over 12 milions Subscribers , here is yet another MMO built on WoW's frame.

Skyrim is the proof that smooth and realistic animations are now possible. Why the hell would they decide to go for some super speed animations hidden by countless and unrealistic light effects and glows is beyond me . But then again, i guess i'm just part of a minority here so i'll just leave it at that and simply avoid that game.

Krawll