The First bomb

kevbal

My theory is that essentially the USA started using the FatMan in China, which IS using nukes on another country, and China retaliated with some more classic nukes. You know, bog standard mutually assured destruction doctrine. If you follow the timeline on the Fort Strong computers, plus the ad for the new FatMan on TV when you start the game, it pretty much adds up to it going into use in China right before the USA gets nuked. So, you know, there might be a connection there.

Note however that that's technically not the first use of nukes in FO canon. The Middle East nuked each other long before.

Also note that I'm not saying that the USA is the bad guy in this scenario. After all China started the war by invading Alaska. More like, well, after a decade of war and escalation of aggression, tactical nukes start to sound like a great idea, but they ARE using nukes against a nuclear power. So, as Baofu from Persona 2 would say after a fight, "They call this the logical results."

more likely

a cheep European import car blew up in DC (wiring defect)

but the US overreacted

and both sides thought they were on the moral high ground

so they kept firing until they could fire no more

Well, that can well be, but I still say that if you read General Brock's terminal in Fort Strong, you'll see that they shipped the Fatman launchers at some point in September 2077, with the ammo following at some point before the end of September. The USA got nuked on 23 Oct 2077.

I mean, it may be a coincidence, but, you know, it would be one hell of a coincidence.

Actually I think it was a couple of teenagers that accidentally hacked into Govt. Defense Systems and launched our nukes. They just thought it was a really neat game! :whistling:

What??? IIRC Vaulttech launched the first nukes. Sorry I don't have time right now to sort through the lore wikis. It was so that they would have an excuse to utilize the vault system they had prepared in order to test for extraplanar human travel.

Someone help me out here... For some reason I remember a hotel and a guy with launch codes who questioned his orders from command. Then he ends up dead after refusing to start the war and his superiors do it anyways.

Fatalmasterpiece good point, that holotape was in the grand hotel or whatever it was named in far harbor. I didnt enjoy that dlc thats probably why it slipped by me. But those launch codes were for one particular nuke located in the nucleus. So for Vault-Tec to be the mastermind of this conspiracy they would have had multiple nukes as a backup. I say this because an inside terror attack designed to trigger a pre-emptive retaliation/strike it would have to be questionable. If its noticed that multiple nukes just went off on American soil without a launch ever being detected, they would have no doubt and look towards terrorism instead of military aggression. The Nucleus was also a Marine/Navel sub and could vary well have just been idle waiting for the command to launch at china.

I dig the robobrain idea. Wish there was a way to actually kill jezebel! (~ disable just broke the game for me lol, but it was nice for a while)

Edited by kevbal

Yeah the wikis found from google search say vault tec started the war but it seems like the enclave may have played a part in it too they were all master race butthurtz about everything and wanted to get rid of everyone else. All this un specific plot stuff is yet another reason why I think the next fallout game will be a reboot. They have a great opportunity here to tell the whole story with multiple starts either as some character hanging out with the troops that eventually become the BoS or as a member of the enclave or a member of vault tec or whatever. Tell us the whole story and let us play it out this time no more stuck in a vault for hundreds of years crap.

If we get another fallout game it would be an extreme bore fest if it started out the same way all the others have. Of course that would line up with beth current strategy of turn everything into a dam MMO and micro transaction us to death for it. I seriously doubt we will ever get another single player game out of them and most likely we will get some VR garbage in the near future. No I am not going to wear some stupid thing on my face and get eyeball herpies or whatever you call it from not wearing a VR goggles jimmy hat every single time I put the things on! Where am I gonna buy those jimmy hats the corner gas station? Oh thats right I have to order them from amazon and wait two weeks for the slower than slow post office to gripe about not getting enough business while taking forever to deliver them because UPS shipping is extremely expensive or dropped off at the last minute to the post office anyway so uh... fiuck VR then it won't last lol.

I would like to think the enclave started the war to facilitate their crazy ass agenda because govts typically don't really want to actually fire nukes at each other there is just too much money to be made with saber rattling long term to justify ending it all unless at least 75% of a country would survive a nuclear war and even then... they would still rather have the money so it would take an extreme actor like the enclave to actually fire anything.

I do like the idea of a reboot but I have to give credit to bethesda. Remember Bethesda is not behind the MMO push. That is pure Zenimax. I know that can be worse than splitting hairs but they are legally 2 separate entities. Take ESO for example, The idea of an MMO Skyrim was Bethesda's idea and they wanted the rich enjoyable content we obsessed over on an MMO. They partnered with zenimax and zen cut every darn aspect of the game we loved and turned it into every other mmo out there. Zenimax is in control of their mmo world including their micro-transactions. When I can run around putting buckets on other players heads I'll reactivate my account. :P