Keeping things lore friendly.

justwannaddl

83 members have voted

1. 1. Do you only use mods that are lore friendly?

I take a middle ground, I voted Yes however because I think it best represents my position. I don't like to use skimpy mods or anime mods (I don't hate on them so don't hate on me) but I will use LOTR mods or ones that add Samurai swords or non-medieval weaponry (not guns but a Smallsword rather than exclusively medieval swords). I like to keep my game aesthetically similar so basically download any mod that doesn't add stuff that looks wholly out of place in vanilla Skyrim such as Monster Hunter swords or whatever. So yes in a way I download lore friendly mods but if it conflicts slightly with TES lore I don't hate on it.

I voted no, primarily because Lore can be so subjective. Taking a serious look at it, things like Midas Magic (personal opinion, one of the best mods ever made for any game) can be considered very Lore-unfriendly (Cheese Atronach anyone?), but it adds so much that was missing from the game to Oblivion that I could not see playing without it, and am anxiously waiting to see just how much it can add to Skyrim.

And to really throw a wrench in the works, using some of the "hardcore mode" mods out there could even be considered against Lore. After all, while needing to eat and drink are basic necessities, can any of you recall actually seeing something as simple as water for sale at any merchant/tavern? All I ever find are alcoholic beverages, then again a constant stream of nothing but alcohol into the population may well be able to explain the current political situation of the realm....

I voted no, primarily because Lore can be so subjective. Taking a serious look at it, things like Midas Magic (personal opinion, one of the best mods ever made for any game) can be considered very Lore-unfriendly (Cheese Atronach anyone?), but it adds so much that was missing from the game to Oblivion that I could not see playing without it, and am anxiously waiting to see just how much it can add to Skyrim.

And to really throw a wrench in the works, using some of the "hardcore mode" mods out there could even be considered against Lore. After all, while needing to eat and drink are basic necessities, can any of you recall actually seeing something as simple as water for sale at any merchant/tavern? All I ever find are alcoholic beverages, then again a constant stream of nothing but alcohol into the population may well be able to explain the current political situation of the realm....

Ah but largely alcoholic drinks is indeed lore friendly to medieval times and therefore the era Skyrim emulates. The fermentation process that produces alcohol also kills some nasty bacteria in the water this means that beer was in a medieval city with little sanitation in fact safer to drink and far more often drank than water.

My total mod selection is never 100% Elder Scrolls lore friendly, but I would say it stays within a reasonable distance.

I'll use a mod if it is a few short, logical steps away from the center of the existing lore.

Example: there were some nifty Dwemer "steampunk" style mods for Oblivion that didn't get all crazy. And obviously there were a million armor or weapon mods that weren't explicitly lore friendly, but they fit with the core environment.

I'm really excited by some of the stuff we've seen come out since the CS was released. I'm holding off on downloading most of them until they've advanced a few version numbers (at least stable release 1.1+).

As long as the mod is fantasy lore friendly, I use it. I only pick up mods that help create a sense of reality (in fantasy aspects) like realistic people, armour, weapons, environments and all that, but that's just my personal taste.