do i need the deluxe edition?

Schmoopy125

The DLC most frequently required by some mods is Shivering Isles, so from a modding viewpoint the smaller DLCs are less critical to have.

I do have a question for you though ... what will you be able to get with the $6, and how will that compare to having the full meal deal version of Oblivion?

Do you have the time to wait for the Steam summer sale? It could theoretically happen that Oblivion would be on sale. I am not sure, but it could be, and a discount of -25% would be enough to cut almost 6 euros off of 20 euros (in here, not sure about the dollar prices). If you do not mind waiting, it might be worth waiting a bit, just to see if it comes on sale. If not, well, then the only thing you would have lost is time. It is not like the price of the game is going to go up anyway, and it could go down during the sale. But that one needs to be seen.

Other than that, as was mentioned, the normal non-deluxe GotY is generally enough. It includes the base game + SI + KotN and those are the most commonly needed ones. Even KotN is not really actually needed by too many mods out there, at least from what I have noticed. The small DLC like Battlehorn Castle, Orrery, Frostcrag Spire, etc. seem to be required mainly by mods that edit them directly.

If you want to buy Morrowind, how would it work, as an idea, to buy Morrowind now, then mod and play that one for the time being (so you have something to play). When the Steam summer sale happens, then you could keep an eye on Oblivion, and if Oblivion is available at a discount - one that makes the deluxe version affordable, for example -25% or more - you could buy the deluxe edition of it. If the summer sale ends and Oblivion did not end up available at a discount (it is a possibility, but one never knows before waiting and seeing what happens), you will not have lost anything (not even your time, which you spent on Morrowind) and can still buy the non-deluxe edition. Or the deluxe one (if you want the small DLC), by thrice choosing not to buy that cup of coffee at the local restaurant for two euros while waiting for the summer sale.

Whatever you do, it is your choice, your money, your time, and your views on whether the small DLC are actually worth it. Like with any purchase, you are the one with the money and the power to subjectively decide whether something is worth your money. However if you are not in a hurry, and considering how there will be a sale not too long from now (cannot remember when, exactly), and that Oblivion could theoretically be available at a discount (maybe also Morrowind?), I myself would definitely want to wait and see if it would be possible to get both the GotY Deluxe edition and Morrowind if they both end up on sale. :thumbsup:

Edited by Contrathetix

Oblivion and Morrowind typically go on sale for 75% off every time they go on sale, and they always go on sale during the big quarterly sales. I'm guessing the Steam summer sale is only a few weeks away - its usually in June.

I'm not sure how much less it will ever cost, but the 5th Anniversary Edition of Oblivion (including KotN and SI) is currently $12 at Amazon. Also it's on physical discs so no online/re-registration hassles:

https://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-IV-Oblivion-5th-Anniversary/dp/B006O4YSJ0/ref=sr_1_1

I can vouch for the great pricing in Steam sales. I think we picked up Skyrim originally for $13 at one of these sales. But we wound up tossing all game servers including Steam so we're back to Oblivion permanently I think. :)

Keep in mind that the only way to legally obtain the Fighter's Stronghold DLC now is through Steam. Even with the other small DLC, you can only get those outside of Steam by tracking down the retail version of the Shivering Isles disc (the original separate release).