MY GAME IS BROKEN

EverChosen97

So i started a modded playthrough earlier this week. everything was going completely fine until i found some patches to make some mods i had installed compatible with one another. When i started the game back up i discovered that my mods were broken. DEF INV wasn't working, modded weapons were invisible and didn't damage enemies when i shot them, grasslands didn't change anything and FDI wasn't working. I looked for a way to try and fix it but to no avail. changing the load order and reinstalling the mods didn't work so i resorted to completely deleting and reinstalling the game. But after waiting for 8 hours for it to install eveything again, its STILL NOT WORKING!! but now the vanilla guns wont do any damage either. I'm completely stumped. Could it be just a single mod that i have installed thats breaking everything?? Will post my LO if someone is willing to help

Edited by EverChosen97

Tried sorting your load order with LOOT? And checked yourself with a text editor to make sure everything is in the right order as per instructions on mod pages? Some require moving yourself, such as Start Me Up needs to be at the very bottom, although LOOT will place it near the top.

Mods just aren't plug 'n' play. You'll need to spend some time going through them and making sure everything is correct.

Edited by H4RDC0R3V1B3Z

nothing significant has changed with the load order however. Before i installed some compatabilty patches for some standalone weapons the game was running perfectly. Even when i uninstalled them and even reinstalled the entire game and deleted its folder they still wont work. Only thing i can think of is some loose files hiding somewhere that I haven't looked

So i started a modded playthrough earlier this week. everything was going completely fine until i found some patches to make some mods i had installed compatible with one another. When i started the game back up i discovered that my mods were broken. DEF INV wasn't working, modded weapons were invisible and didn't damage enemies when i shot them, grasslands didn't change anything and FDI wasn't working. I looked for a way to try and fix it but to no avail. changing the load order and reinstalling the mods didn't work so i resorted to completely deleting and reinstalling the game. But after waiting for 8 hours for it to install eveything again, its STILL NOT WORKING!! but now the vanilla guns wont do any damage either. I'm completely stumped. Could it be just a single mod that i have installed thats breaking everything?? Will post my LO if someone is willing to help

Looks like this is more than just mod problem, but computer illiteracy (or at least when it comes to Fallout 4). I had friends who ... when running out of disk space, was told to delete some useless stuff. They went to Windows folder and delete a few files because they "didn't know what the heck these are". Needless to say, I had to reinstall windows for them (and along with the hassles of installing all software). I am not trying to belittling you, I am trying to figure out your problem. And reading your post, it shows that you don't have strong knowledge of Windows file system. So tell me if I am wrong.

First, do you use Nexus Mod Manager (NMM)? If you didn't, you should start from now on. At least it handles installing and uninstalling mods without you accidentally deleting more than you want to.

Per all the advises above, you should do a clean install of FO4:

- Uninstall completely from Steam via "Delete Local Content"

- Go to the Steam Fallout 4 folder, and DELETE everything there. Because Steam will only delete FO4 original files and leave all your mod files alone as they aren't part of FO4 original install. Delete them all.

- Turn off your computer, turn back on again.

- THEN let Steam install a brand new Fallout 4 (change default folder destination if you know how). Change "D:\SteamLibrary" into "D:\SteamGame" or something. This step is to guarantee a 100% clean install.

Then once you get FO4 running

- Start a new game, run around.... Confirm the game is functional. Grab a gun, shoot dead a giant roach.

- Download and install Nexus Mod Manager

- Guide NMM to find the correct path of Fallout 4 (it may detect other games too).

- If NMM doesn't already take care for you, go through the instruction to edit .ini to enable FO4 to accept mods.

- Use NMM strictly for install/uninstall

- Do not attempt to edit or delete anything unless you know absolutely what you are doing. And even then, make backup. Even in my own mod I created, I always backup the file before I edit.

Going off what little information you wrote, it is likely you just downloaded some mod that either is in conflict with another mod, or just have lousy edit. Yep, not all mods are created equal. Some creators are really lousy and created broken mods without realizing (I admit I am also a lousy mod creator). Just because you like a gun, or because the screenshot looks pretty does not mean the mod is good. I used to download a few gun mods that caused my workbench menu to crash. Best to read the Post section and bug section. If the mod has very good Endorsement, that creator made many mods before, people mostly praised him/her, Bug section is relatively clean and creator replied to address problem ... Those are all the signs of good mods.

DEF UI is not a mod in FO4 sense. It replaces the User Interface layout in your Data/Interface folder. All you need to do when you have problem is to uninstall and reinstall it. The UI will come back as default. DEF UI is the foundation. You then install anything that depends on DEF UI after it.

Also, when you report back, do not just scream "NOT WORKING". It means nothing to us. Not working how? The game crashes on start up? Thee game crashes when you are under attack by enemy? What? Did you load your old game? I totally advice you to create a brand new game just for the sake of testing. Yes, your old save game may be totally corrupted. All your weapons do NO DAMAGE. I get it. But what I care more about is .... when you start a NEW GAME.... does your weapon do damage? Fight some giant roaches in Vault 111, can you kill them?

Your save game may have been beyond saving (I don't know that for sure, just a possibility). But I want to know if your game functionality is fine or not. Once you can confirm your game is running as intended, then load your old save .... if it is still buggy there, guess what, your save is corrupted.