Why do so many people want to play as anime-esque characters on Skyrin

apecallum

My contention is that it’s quite possible that people are outright missing out on the full intended experience of the game. Yes you can argue from a subjective viewpoint that there is no intended experience, and that Skyrim is by its nature a non-linear, open world sandbox in which you play however you want to play and that anime mods are just an extension of this principle but I'm inclined to disagree.

Toss this idea around a bit then - any player can experience nearly the entire game on a single character, they can most definitely do so within two characters (go go Civil war). Why should any player feel obligated to repeat the same things over and over again after having experienced what they have of the game, especially should they have completed all the content in the base game? The lifespan of any game is about as long as it takes any given player to get bored of it, and those who choose to extend a game's lifespan by adding mods for things they may personally find make it more entertaining may well opt to do so for whatever reasons they choose. Similarly, no player is really obligated to complete the game from start to finish (not that there really is a finish considering there is no actual end of the game despite finishing every quest and reaching level cap).

So people may miss out on some part of the game if they decide they want to add in spiky hair, giant swords, chainmail bikinis, or pink ponies... does it really matter to anyone how someone else chooses to enjoy their game? Hell, pink ponies and ultra-hardcore-realism-modes don't seem that appealing to me personally, but it has absolutely zero effect on my own enjoyment of the game that someone else feels they need such things to get more out of their game, so why worry about it?

It's one thing to wonder why some folks do or don't do something, it is another to try to impose your own view of things and assume others are somehow inferior for not seeing things just as you do - and yes that is exactly how your posts are coming across when you try to make such statements as

I do think that games like Skyrim are some of the very few examples of games transcending just pure entertainment, and mods that drastically break the game's continuity or context are in my opinion detrimental in that they just **** all over a very precariously crafted world with little or no regard for the actual intent of the game.

Live and let live, if something isn't appealing to you or doesn't make sense despite it boiling down to personal preference, just ignore it and move on.

Wonderfully written, exactly what i think.

Kudos.

Edit: uhh already gave you kudos before it seems, was like "wth" when it said "kudos taken from Handofbane", gave that one back ofc.

Edited by pavy

My contention is that it’s quite possible that people are outright missing out on the full intended experience of the game. Yes you can argue from a subjective viewpoint that there is no intended experience, and that Skyrim is by its nature a non-linear, open world sandbox in which you play however you want to play and that anime mods are just an extension of this principle but I'm inclined to disagree.

So people may miss out on some part of the game if they decide they want to add in spiky hair, giant swords, chainmail bikinis, or pink ponies... does it really matter to anyone how someone else chooses to enjoy their game? Hell, pink ponies and ultra-hardcore-realism-modes don't seem that appealing to me personally, but it has absolutely zero effect on my own enjoyment of the game that someone else feels they need such things to get more out of their game, so why worry about it?

You're correct in saying that other people's preferences don't affect me whatsoever but I didn't really ever assume otherwise. This thread is more motivated by my general bemusement in the face of certain mods that seem, at least in my opinion, unsuited, rather than outrage at "heretical" modders deviating from lore. Still, I don't think that the fact that other people's preferences do not directly affect me really means that I am not entitled to express my opinions on why I feel such preferences seem flawed. I've had disagreements in the past with friends that have had perfectly decent PCs but were against modding games like Fallout 3 because they genuinely felt that the vanilla version was good enough. Do you think that a natural reaction to that sort of thing is just to accept that decision and move on even if you feel that you can convincingly argue to the contrary?

Toss this idea around a bit then - any player can experience nearly the entire game on a single character, they can most definitely do so within two characters (go go Civil war). Why should any player feel obligated to repeat the same things over and over again after having experienced what they have of the game, especially should they have completed all the content in the base game? The lifespan of any game is about as long as it takes any given player to get bored of it, and those who choose to extend a game's lifespan by adding mods for things they may personally find make it more entertaining may well opt to do so for whatever reasons they choose. Similarly, no player is really obligated to complete the game from start to finish (not that there really is a finish considering there is no actual end of the game despite finishing every quest and reaching level cap).

I'm not sure if this relevant. We're discussing the merits of lore vs non-lore mods, why wouldn't lore friendly content increase the lifespan of the game?

It's one thing to wonder why some folks do or don't do something, it is another to try to impose your own view of things and assume others are somehow inferior for not seeing things just as you do - and yes that is exactly how your posts are coming across

I apologise then if that's how I seem. I of course don't think others are inferior for having different viewpoints, I guess I need to tone down the hyperbole.

Anyway you make a strong argument and your reply is exactly the sort of logical response I was looking for.

I didn't really know what people meant by anime mods, so I looked them up. I was expecting to find characters that were cel shaded and had big anime eyes, but from the mods I found, I didn't find any of such mods, so from what I know of anime mods, they aren't as bad as I thought they were, or as bad as people make them out to be. They still aren't for me, but I don't see what the big fuss is about. Edited by Dubnoman

Don't know what compelled me to comment on this but... I'm old so I've never understood the whole anime craze to begin with. The first time I ever saw anime was the old "Speed Racer" cartoon. I thought it was so lame I didn't even watch it when there were only 6 channels on tv. Oh... 6 channels and PBS. That said, a lot of folks here like to play Skyrim with "adult mods" or spectacular weapons and armor... why? Same answer I'd guess. Immersion is in the eye of the beholder.

I got my first and sufficient dose of anime with Sandy Frank's G-Force. That was enough to turn me away from anime for life. But, to each his own. You were fortunate to have 6 stations and PBS. Where I grew up in the Rockies we had KOA NBC channel 4 out of Denver (when it worked) and somewhere around 1968 or 69 they added another translator for channel 9 also out of Denver ABC (almost never worked) and no PBS ever.

I'm not too picky about the lore friendliness of mods I look at.

Though, I am playing around with having set the language differently, renamed the bsa's then changed it back and registered the renamed files, leaving me with Japanese voice overs with English text... ;)

Me, too! Followed that suggestion from another poster on a different thread. Probably one of the best things to happen to my Skyrim, and it's not even a mod, just DIY. Interesting how using a different language makes the world seem more rich and deep. It's harder to tell if voice actors are recycled and repeated lines are caught less often unless you always read the subtitles. Any bad acting goes unnoticed. And reading the story somehow makes the fiction less ridiculous.

Yeah the JP voices are awesome, I've been telling people how to switch them over here for weeks now, its retardedly simple.

And the girls voices are so damn cute. No more does lydia sound all condescending :) "goshujin-sama"

LOL at people who seem to harbor a hated for anime cuz they saw a series aimed at kids 20+ years ago. You have no idea of the awesomeness of modern anime ;) The absolute craziest/deepest scifi and fantasy stories are found in anime nowadays, nothing we do over here even comes close for the most part. Darker than Black, Steins;Gate; *monogatari series, Guilty Crown, Hellsing OVA, on and on. This isn't kids stuff. I like all kinds of genre's (ecchi comedy++) but dark & violent scifi/fantasy is my favorite. :)

Edited by Malakai88

Because they can. Mods give you total control over a world that is all your own. To do things they don't have control off in real life or to do things they can't in real life. Its all about role playing, having fun and escaping from reality.

one can be hero or vilian.

thief or paladin.

stormcloak or imperial.

uber sword or regular sword.

anime or no anime.

the choice is yours in the Land of Skyrim!!!!

"But their is one they fear, she is Ayaka... AnimeBorn!!"

Anime turned Oblivion modding into a DISASTER. Bethesda has even said that they don't support the overflow of anime mods. I hope Skyrim doesn't go the same direction, or I'm not modding.

Either way, in my opinion, Anime is stupid. Others can like it, but I never will. If my girl is "cute," she would know how to handle herself in a fight, and not look like a cartoon. Same with my male characters, they have to be tough and wearing some really heavy armour and weilding HUGE two handed weapons.