Mod permission for abandoned mods?

tomomi1922

If you're retexturing a vanilla mesh, there's no issue, but if you want to retexture a custom mesh, you need permission from whoever made the mesh. Custom meshes are a lot of work, and retexturing a custom mesh without permission is not permitted.

However, if you know how to make meshes, you could make your own just like it. Just be prepared to be able to show it's your own work.

You missed the point. Rexture would only work in conjuction with that outfit. You can create a texture all you want to an outfit, without the outfit in game, that texture would not exist anywhere. If we are to re-create a brand new outfit, then it is no longer a retexture.

If you're retexturing a vanilla mesh, there's no issue, but if you want to retexture a custom mesh, you need permission from whoever made the mesh. Custom meshes are a lot of work, and retexturing a custom mesh without permission is not permitted.

However, if you know how to make meshes, you could make your own just like it. Just be prepared to be able to show it's your own work.

You missed the point. Rexture would only work in conjuction with that outfit. You can create a texture all you want to an outfit, without the outfit in game, that texture would not exist anywhere. If we are to re-create a brand new outfit, then it is no longer a retexture.

The problem with this is that you'd be creating a new mod with a mesh that you didn't make with a texture that you did.

Unless you upload ONLY the texture file (So the mod user just has to overwrite the original texture file when they install the "Retexture") then it should be fine.

Also what is it exactly that you're trying to do?

Edited by MLeonhardt

The problem with this is that you'd be creating a new mod with a mesh that you didn't make with a texture that you did.

Unless you upload ONLY the texture file (So the mod user just has to overwrite the original texture file when they install the "Retexture") then it should be fine.

Also what is it exactly that you're trying to do?

I am not trying to do 1 thing, but it is good to discuss.

And have you seen re-texture mods? It's exactly what they are. They do not upload the entire mesh, they just upload the re-texture and they tell readers what the re-texture is for (and link to the original mod). If the mod is independent, it would not be called re-texture but more likely .... a mod restore (probably the older mod no longer works for lack of update).

Then yeah that should be fine.

The thing people get butthurt over is the copying and redistribution of other people's work.

As long as you're just uploading stuff that YOU made, i.e. a new texture, you should be fine.

I am all for modders rights and protecting our work but, I'm a little confused on this one. Example someone created a "Settlement Blueprint" using a community resource. Then they need to ask for permissions to upload said Blueprint from every mod they used in it!

Link to thread in question "Permissions"

This seems a little over the top to me! It's not like the Blueprint is redistributing another mods assets and it does require all of the mods it used to work. Why on earth would permissions be needed in this case?

but what about a patch that doesn't include assets, just makes the original mod compatible with DLC?

I tend to believe that compatibility patches would be fine, as long as they don't contain any files from the original mod.

Now everyone is stuck into this "borrowing resources". What about retexture? Or adding support for DLC ... etc... Everyone is in love with this mod, for example. But it is obviously abandoned: can be seen by the amount of bug report and lack of author's response. We can build a patch for the mod can't we? And if it is a retexture .... technically we are not "taking" any resources, but adding more to it.

With retextures, if it's a texture from the vanilla game that you're modifying then it's o-ak to share that.

If your taking a retexture that someone else made, unless stated in the mod's description, then you'll need permission from the original creator if you want to upload it once you've modified it yourself; an exception might be in the rare circumstance where you've used a mod's texture as a 'jumping -off point' & have modified that retexture so heavily that it doesn't resemble the other.

If the retexture you've made merely altered some minor detail of the orginal retexture, or changes the colour, that's likely not enough to distinquish it from the asset you've used and could be construed as copyright infringement.

I am all for modders rights and protecting our work but, I'm a little confused on this one. Example someone created a "Settlement Blueprint" using a community resource. Then they need to ask for permissions to upload said Blueprint from every mod they used in it!

This seems a little over the top to me! It's not like the Blueprint is redistributing another mods assets and it does require all of the mods it used to work. Why on earth would permissions be needed in this case?

Yeah, I'd have to agree that that seems like it's definitely over the top, as Settlement Blueprints themselves don't contain any actual assets from other mods (just references those mods that are needed to get the settlement looking as the blueprint author created it)

A user downloading a blueprint can still use it in their game even if they don't have any the mods that the author of the blueprint used*, so no permission is needed. I've no idea why the author of Settlement Blueprints made that decision & decided it was required in this specific case.

*it just won't look anything like the author of that blueprint envisioned.

Edited by AGreatWeight

my point of bringing this one up was the fact that some NOOB may upload their first mod a "Settlement Blueprint" then they say WOW! great response!

After that they make a fully custom mod all by themselves!

If they have to ask for specific permissions to upload simple Blueprints then they may give up and we as a community lose yet another potential MA.

This just flat out doesn't make sense. They're uploading the Settlement Blueprint that has the other mod assets in it, but the blueprint is just the data for where all the assets are placed in the settlement, not the modded files themselves.

Downloaders are still required to download the original mod to see the mod items in the Settlement.

With retextures, if it's a texture from the vanilla game that you're modifying then it's o-ak to share that.

If your taking a retexture that someone else made, unless stated in the mod's description, then you'll need permission from the original creator if you want to upload it once you've modified it yourself; an exception might be in the rare circumstance where you've used a mod's texture as a 'jumping -off point' & have modified that retexture so heavily that it doesn't resemble the other.

If the retexture you've made merely altered some minor detail of the orginal retexture, or changes the colour, that's likely not enough to distinquish it from the asset you've used and could be construed as copyright infringement.

Pretty sure he means taking a model someone else made, and making a new texture for it.

i.e. the Plasma Caster mod up on the frontpage of the Nexus.

He doesn't like the shiny cartoony textures that the mod maker created, and decides to make a new, grittier looking texture.

He downloads the mod files, and uses the original model to work on, but when he uploads the "re-texture" it's just the texture file, to overwrite the texture file included in the Plasma Caster mod.

Would that require permission, considering that while it's entirely new content, and not uploading any files that he himself did not originally create, it's still based off of an existing mesh made by someone else?

This just flat out doesn't make sense. They're uploading the Settlement Blueprint that has the other mod assets in it, but the blueprint is just the data for where all the assets are placed in the settlement, not the modded files themselves.

Downloaders are still required to download the original mod to see the mod items in the Settlement.

I know, I know but, read the thread! Apparently they still need permissions.

I blame this on the ISPCM (the International Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Modders)