Buying Steam games.

Staind716

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For future reference all EULA are like this. Whenever you buy software you are buying a liscense for said software. The company of origin retains rights to it and if you break the EULA you will either have your rights to the software revoked or your support revoked. This is not news.

Also the op is clearly trying to stir up trouble with this post, something very close to trolling which is not viewed welcomely here.

by agreeing to the terms and conditions of steam you're in the same boat as everyone else. having a disk or not.

Yes but if you own a disk, and steam gets killed like 2 years from now and you decide you want to play Skyrim again in 5 years, you ca still crack your game for use without steam. Under my country's laws AFAIK that's legal since you own a legitimate copy. Only the distribution is illegal here. :)

The OP was sort of like worried about the situation wherein since he doesn't have a hard copy, if Steam gets killed, all your money is gone as well, without leaving you any way of playing a game that's no longer supported. Although now I think about it, is it wrong to pirate a game that the developers have stopped supporting and aren't earning from it anymore? However, from what I see, Steam looks strong and will probably be alive for the next 10 years and I don't see myself playing Skyrim again after 10 years so its sort of pointless to argue about having the disk or not.

Steam allow you to make backup of game files. Steam isn't some kind of demoniac entity.

http://i.imgur.com/IWl07.jpg

I could also buy Skyrim for 40$ instead of 60 because Steam had a discount when CK was released. My game store didn't have anything like that. Without that discount I'd be playing Oblivion still.

Edited by Caithe

RANT ON/ Aren't all of you getting tired of these same issues being brought up over and over again in new threads? When you buy a license to use Windows do you actually own Windows? Hell no you don't it is completely owned by Microsoft. You only paid for permission to use it and then only as long as you abide buy the terms of the usage agreement (EULA). When you installed Windows were you required to activate it? Hell yes again and you most likely did that by way if an internet connection. Now are you required to have an internet connection to use Windows after activation? NO unless you want it to update automatically and if you know how you can turn off automatic updates.

Ok, so the same applies to Beth, Steam, and Valve. I purchase a usage license from them to play a game. I download and install said game the using the internet I activate it online. Then I go to the settings menu and place the game in offline mode. When the game installed and wanted to phone home I told the firewall no to begin with so it automatically set a rule that allows me to set the games permission to call home to allow, deny, or ask. So I initially set it to allow long enough to activate.Then I set it to deny as I know that Steam has a sneaky updating system that ignores the game settings. That way I get no surprise patching. I also have unstable internet where I live and this allows me to play even when it isn't working.

Now, I am getting freaking tired of being accused of PIRACY for utilizing my computer to play a game that for some IDIOTIC reason you think MUST be connected to the mother ship to play. In the future the moment one of these threads pops up in my opinion it should be LOCKED immediately and any user making unfounded accusations of another community member should fall under the cracking on anime mods rule and be BANNED immediately.

Who died and left you self righteous non tech savvy fools GOD anyhow? Also... who named NEXUS the anti-piracy police force? As far as I know no one did. The Nexus is and always has been a place for modders and people that wish to share in those mods to congregate and hopefully make playing their games a better experience. Getting banned if you are a pirate is one thing. Helping people to be able to legally play the game they purchased a user license for legally is another.

/RANT OFF