Oblivion DRM-free and mods.

bevilex

OK, now keep in mind I don't have the GOG version so I can't confirm that this works, but this is how I would do the GOG version install.

At the Official OBSE web page click on the download link for the Current Stable version and save that to a folder you have named OBSE_ver_21 (or whatever name you prefer). Next click on the download link for GOG build 1.2.0.416 a bit further down the page and save to a folder named GOG_Loader.

Extract the download in your OBSE_ver_21 folder to that same folder. You will now find seven files and two folders, one folder named Data and one named src. Copy the files obse_1_2_416.dll and obse_editor_1_2.dll to your game's Oblivion folder (the same one that contains Oblivion_Loader.exe and Oblivion.exe). Next copy the extracted download's Data folder and paste that in the game's Oblivion folder (so the final path for the operation will result in you having Oblivion\Data\OBSE\obse.ini).

Then extract the download in the GOG_Loader folder and you will now find a single folder named obse_loader and in that folder a file named obse_loader.exe ... copy that obse_loader.exe file and paste it into your game's Oblivion folder (same place as you pasted the other two OBSE files).

Finish by either creating a new desktop shortcut that points to obse_loader.exe or edit your current desktop shortcut to start with obse_loader.exe instead of Oblivion_Loader.exe (you could also test by just double left clicking on the obse_loader.exe once it is copied to your game's Oblivion folder).

I would suggest that you delete all previous OBSE files from your first attempt before you start.

I tried what you said, I didnt get it to work, but I think you're definitely on to something with what youre saying. Im going to keep tinkering around with it and if I get it to work I'll post some screen shots for people to see what I did.

I must've fumbled a step from what you said. It should work from your instructions

It's kind of derailing this GOG discussion a bit, but when I recently had to switch my machine from WinXP (Oh how I miss you) to Win 7, I joined the group of Oblivion + OBSE users who weren't able to get OBSE and Oblivion working. My game is not installed in a protected folder (G:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion ... separate hard drive just for games).

I was using Koroush Ghazi's guide for getting Win 7 setup (found on this page on TweakGuides). It's a long guide to read and I was working under the gun time wise with the upgrade (would you believe it was tax software that brought the mighty WinXP dinosaur to his knees, but somehow getting the game to work took priority over installing the TurboTax that refused to install on WinXP ... go figure eh?). I've used Koroush's guides before, so I know to scour the table of contents for the parts I need. On page 157 you'll find instructions on how to access the hidden administrators account (ya, turns out that "administrator" account you think you have isn't a true administrator account, more like the old power users account from WinXP).

As soon as I used the true administrators account my OBSE woes vanished. So I went back into my regular "false administrators" account and even when I completely turned off UAC it still wouldn't run OBSE (so I would probably have to both turn off UAC and change a bunch of file permissions).

I just use the true administrators account for playing Oblivion and put the fake administrators account back to it's defaults (and use that account for all other stuff that is non-Oblivion related). Now I can't say whether or not Win 10 is the same or not ... Koroush won't do a separate guide for Win 10 because it is apparently very close to Win 8/8.1 which already has a guide.

It's kind of derailing this GOG discussion a bit, but when I recently had to switch my machine from WinXP (Oh how I miss you) to Win 7, I joined the group of Oblivion + OBSE users who weren't able to get OBSE and Oblivion working. My game is not installed in a protected folder (G:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion ... separate hard drive just for games).

I was using Koroush Ghazi's guide for getting Win 7 setup (found on this page on TweakGuides). It's a long guide to read and I was working under the gun time wise with the upgrade (would you believe it was tax software that brought the mighty WinXP dinosaur to his knees, but somehow getting the game to work took priority over installing the TurboTax that refused to install on WinXP ... go figure eh?). I've used Koroush's guides before, so I know to scour the table of contents for the parts I need. On page 157 you'll find instructions on how to access the hidden administrators account (ya, turns out that "administrator" account you think you have isn't a true administrator account, more like the old power users account from WinXP).

As soon as I used the true administrators account my OBSE woes vanished. So I went back into my regular "false administrators" account and even when I completely turned off UAC it still wouldn't run OBSE (so I would probably have to both turn off UAC and change a bunch of file permissions).

I just use the true administrators account for playing Oblivion and put the fake administrators account back to it's defaults (and use that account for all other stuff that is non-Oblivion related). Now I can't say whether or not Win 10 is the same or not ... Koroush won't do a separate guide for Win 10 because it is apparently very close to Win 8/8.1 which already has a guide.

I think the issue I am running into is when you download the OBSE_0021 it contains a obse_steam_loader.dll file but the OBSE loader for GOG doesnt contain a obse_gog_loader.dll, just the obse_loader. Now If I am transferring the GOG obse_loader file to the obse_0021 file, do I need to remove the obse_steam_loader.dll?

Edited by PumpOfWallStreet

I'm pretty sure that obse_steam_loader.dll would just be ignored by the GOG version of the game (the Steam specific version of Oblivion_Loader.exe looks for it, as I understand it ... but I am a non-Steam type myself, so could be wrong). That is the reason I suggested to remove ALL traces of any previous install attempts before installing just the files and folders I specified.

Something else I've thought of ... many mods require Shivering Isles. I'm under the impression that the GOG version is just the base game, no SI or DLCs.

No, the GOG version has Shivering Isles and all the DLC's

Edit: And yes, OBSE works as well.

Edited by olnorton

OBSE is not working for me.

I did the steps suggested earlier.

Still plugins do not work and I have only ESS-files in the save folder.

Oblivion is not installed in the Program Files(86) folder

Edited by Nyameri

Does this thread help? --> https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/5694352-gog-obse-issues/

Specifically the reply by olnorton that also has the image linked in it, with the image showing the way things should apparently be.

Thank you for your reply.

For some reason I thought MO shows all saves in the save folder, bit I now have noticed that it only shows the ESS-files and not the OBSE-files.

Today I really checked the folder and not only MOs save tab. Apparently OBSE is working.

It has been some time since I played Skyrim and I forgot how MO behaves when showing saves.

Then I don`t know why Blockhead is not working.

It should be simple to install in th OBSE\Plugins folder.

I need Blockhead for ORN.

No problem, thanks to olnorton for verifying that OBSE really actually works with the GOG version.

Also, if you use Oblivion Reloaded, the OR files corresponding to the savegame are not deleted when deleting savegames through the MO interface. So when deleting a savegame titled "somesave" through the MO saves tab, it only deletes somesave.ess and somesave.obse out of all three - somesave.ess, somesave.obse, somesave.or if using Oblivion Reloaded (because the OR file is from Oblivion Reloaded, others will not have it! if someone reads this and does not see it).

So Blockhead is not working, but other mods installed through MO are working? Have you tried installing Blockhead to the actual directory?

With the Steam version, for MO and OBSE to work, one needs to set the load mechanism of MO to "script extender" so that OBSE loads MO, but in that case all OBSE plugins need to be installed to the actual game folder. I have not used the disc version in quite a while now, so I cannot remember if running obse_loader.exe through MO works for getting OBSE plugins in the game through MO. If I ever reinstall the disc version, I will try it, though. I do not have the GOG version so I have no idea how OBSE, MO and the game are launched with that one.

Edited by Contrathetix

"So Blockhead is not working, but other mods installed through MO are working? Have you tried installing Blockhead to the actual directory?"

This solved it. I moved OBSE data, Fast Exit and Blockhead to the data folder of Nehrim. Now all three are working,

I got rid of the Install Blockhead message on all heads. Now ORN makes people much nicer looking.

Do you have any experience with Nehrim? Do you know if DarnUI is compatible?

I don`t really like how Nehrim lumps all your stuff together with no info at all with no info except when pointing with the mouse. Even vanilla Oblivion does it better.

DarnUI looks kind off like Sky UI which is much better.

I tried to install the 7-zip in MO. Afterwords there where no difference.

And when I try to copy the font lines to the INI in MO Oblivion.exe keeps crashing at game start.

Edited by Nyameri