Death Penalty Opinions

Hello Nexus!

I am working on an alternate death mod that will have you respawn at the last bed you slept at after you die. For lore purposes, you just had a nightmare about dying... When you wakeup back at your bed, I want to apply a debuff to your character, representing their insecurity and fear after the nightmare. The debuffs will be cleared by gaining a certain amount of XP (maybe 20% of what is needed to gain a level?)

I need help with suggestions... I am thinking of making the debuffs just be a random penalty of 1-5 to a random SPECIAL stat... What do you guys think? Any other ideas for penalties that would be fun, significant, but not just annoying after a while? What about the amount of XP needed to clear the debuffs?

Any opinions will be very helpful.

Thank you,

-Ultimate Coffee

if you are making them insecure and jittery you could reduce their strength, endurance, charisma and max HP by a percentage representing their inability to get a decent night's sleep and jitteryness.

but you could also give them a slightly smaller boost to perception representing increased paranoia :)

this'll be fun for survival mode or the like!

it is very Dark Souls-y, nice.

it'd be great to also have a 'fear of what caused demise' -

if they died from a synth, animal or faction, they take increased damage from that source until the fear conditional status is relieved.

you could also remove the bonuses from companions such as lovers embrace,

representing the fact that their companion may have died in their dream or something...

a fear of caps etc; they were buried alive by things and money,

so until you empty and retrieve your inventory, they get progressively worse the more you loot and profit.

- they can't carry as much, and then begin to take damage over time per 1000 cap increment or 20lbs inventory.

now, that is one nasty debuff hehe.

-----

as to how to clear the debuff...

while that is a great conditional for early levels,

XP is harder to acquire the higher the level,

so, making it also by number of kills, by time,

or, going to the priest at diamond city etc

could be another way to remove the taint.

I dont think it could be an interesting mod, because you dont think to all variables : for exemple, If you wear a Power Armor and Die, what happen to the Power Armor ? If your cadaver stay in place, you could recover the part, but the Frame will be destroyed and a Frame represent 3000 to 2400 caps. I dont think there are good anwser to this question.

I play in survival mode, and dying is enougth frustrating like this to not add others.

Personally, I'd rather have something like reviving at the institute with you standing up inside the "synth bath" at the institute (provided you've progressed that far). This would be lore friendly, and it would be consistent with the content in the game. Besides, Father would really hate to lose his father/mother. Otherwise, you could have the character revive inside Vault 111 in his/her cryo pod. That would still tie in to the Institute, and it would further play on DIMA's question regarding the possibility of you being a synth.

An issue I could see with this mod is that it could break some quests that send you to areas with only one way to get there. So for example let's say you go into the Institute, shoot Father in the face, and get your head blown off by a courser. The quest that activated when you killed Father was to go to the teleporter room and use it to exit, but now you're outside the institute and can't re-activate the teleporter.