Just bought PC Oblivion

Stemin

Hmm ... the one and only time I installed the GotY version it did. Try putting in disk two ... if it doesn't autorun then you'll need to browse for setup.exe using Windows Explorer.

- Edit - Even more curiouser ... I just had a look at my backup (never been installed) copy of the GotY ... it's a three disk set, but I'm certain that the GotY that I gave to my daughter (and installed for her) was a two disk set. Disks two and three only have .cab files, so they would need to be installed via the setup.exe on disk one (i.e. insert disk when prompted). Now I'm not sure what to advise.

Edited by Striker879

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm ... the one and only time I installed the GotY version it did. Try putting in disk two ... if it doesn't autorun then you'll need to browse for setup.exe using Windows Explorer.

- Edit - Even more curiouser ... I just had a look at my backup (never been installed) copy of the GotY ... it's a three disk set, but I'm certain that the GotY that I gave to my daughter (and installed for her) was a two disk set. Disks two and three only have .cab files, so they would need to be installed via the setup.exe on disk one (i.e. insert disk when prompted). Now I'm not sure what to advise.

I have the GotY edition and I can confirm that it won't ask for Disk 2 as it isn't necessary to play the game. Disk 2 from memory is solely Shivering Isles.

*Edit* Disk 2 also has Knights of the Nine I think. So SI and Knights on Disc 2.

Edited by ContagiousCure

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this thread that I posted today for some recommended starter mods and leveling mods.

Have fun!

Ok. I know it's been a few weeks, but my frustration with the controller made me put this off. My computer buddy had to come over and change the frequency of my blutooth mouse and keyboard to finally get my xbox controller to sync. So this weekend I used the instructions Striker879 posted from the wiki page (thanks man!) and using Xpadder I was able to get my xbox controller working with some minor tweaking. Ran the game, everything worked ok. Installed Shivering Isles and Knights of Nine... ran it again... everything was good.

Then I installed everything you suggested in the thread above prior to modding.... The unofficial patch, the unofficial patch upgrade, the unofficial official mod patch, obmm, boss, the script extender... basically everything prior to adding an actual mod. The only things I did differently were that I installed the 4GB patch, and I did not install the supplemental patch because the link in that thread doesn't work.

The game crashes immediately on startup after I click play.

The only hitch I ran into during installation and possibly the cause is when I install the Unofficial Official mod patch, it runs the TES4LODGen 3.0.15 Experimental script at the end of the installation and that crashes. When it gets to Background Loader DLCVileLair.esp it gives a fatal EOSError System error Code 2, saying it cannot find the specified file.

I used the default settings for each program installed. But even if I go back and install and uncheck the TES4LODGen box, it still gives a crash on startup.

I have run BOSS.

So I haven't even installed a mod and the patches are crashing my game. Any suggestions?

I could be misinterpreting, but I take it from your post that you added the unofficial patch, the unofficial patch upgrade, the unofficial official mod patch, obmm, boss and OBSE all in one fell swoop (i.e. all at once). It's always better to install one thing at a time, and test thoroughly in between ... makes troubleshooting much easier.

You're running the disk version of the game, so you do realize you'll need to start the game using obse_loader.exe, not the original OblivionLauncher.exe. Simpliest way to do that is edit your desktop shortcut. OBMM's game launcher is supposed to detect that you have OBSE installed and change it's launching behavior (if I'm not mistaken), but I'm Mr. OldSchool and only use it for OBMM things and launch the game from my desktop shortcut. The downside of that is it now doesn't bring up the game launcher screen that gives access to 'Data Files' for activating mods. For that I use the unaltered shortcut off my Start button (which still uses OblivionLauncher.exe) to activate mods (I'm also Mr. ManualInstall, a true dinosaur through and through). If I have a brain cramp and hit Play from the launcher after I've used it to activate a mod I get the crash you describe. All just part of my wonderfully complicated way of playing.

The downside of that is it now doesn't bring up the game launcher screen that gives access to 'Data Files' for activating mods.

that's one of the many reasons I use NMM or OBMM - to activate and order mods

of course I also use Wrye Bash to activate and order mods

and use NMM to install most mods directly from the downloaded file

I only slap up the launcher when I need to change video resolution

Edited by Fonger

I could be misinterpreting, but I take it from your post that you added the unofficial patch, the unofficial patch upgrade, the unofficial official mod patch, obmm, boss and OBSE all in one fell swoop (i.e. all at once). It's always better to install one thing at a time, and test thoroughly in between ... makes troubleshooting much easier.

You're running the disk version of the game, so you do realize you'll need to start the game using obse_loader.exe, not the original OblivionLauncher.exe. Simpliest way to do that is edit your desktop shortcut. OBMM's game launcher is supposed to detect that you have OBSE installed and change it's launching behavior (if I'm not mistaken), but I'm Mr. OldSchool and only use it for OBMM things and launch the game from my desktop shortcut. The downside of that is it now doesn't bring up the game launcher screen that gives access to 'Data Files' for activating mods. For that I use the unaltered shortcut off my Start button (which still uses OblivionLauncher.exe) to activate mods (I'm also Mr. ManualInstall, a true dinosaur through and through). If I have a brain cramp and hit Play from the launcher after I've used it to activate a mod I get the crash you describe. All just part of my wonderfully complicated way of playing.

Yeah, I didn't know I had to use obse_loader, and yes I installed all those patches at once. I'm a little confused about what you said about the data launcher. Is this something you were supposed to use for mods? I haven't gotten far enough to install any mods.

As a matter of fact, I uninstalled the unofficial official mod patch and the game starts up now. While it's good the game is running, this means I can't use mods, right?

Not good.

EDIT: After going through the link again and reading the changelog for the Unofficial Official Mod Patch, it appears these don't actually get the game ready for modding, but instead is another unofficial attempt at fixing Oblivion errors Bethesda made, right? Which is still bad I guess that I can't install it, but has nothing to do with using mods, right? Still, what's my next step here.

But if I read you right, I should try re-installing the mod patch and running OBSE_loader instead of Oblivion and seeing if that works? I'm still going to get the same error message on install though.

And I should apply the 4gb patch to OBSE_loader then? And not oblivion.exe?

Edited by Stemin

First make sure you have Oblivion Script Extender installed correctly. In Windows Explorer you should see the files obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll and obse_loader.exe all located in your game install's Oblivion folder (not in Oblivion\Data). Right click your desktop shortcut and select 'Properties'. In the Properties dialogue that opens find the 'Target' field and single left click directly in front of the 'O' in 'OblivionLauncher.exe'. Delete that part and put in 'obse_launcher.exe' (without the single quote marks I've used here, but leaving the double quote (") at the end of the line). Click the 'Apply' button and then 'OK'. Now when you double click your desktop icon it will launch the game using the obse_launcher (you should see two small black windows open and then close and then you'll be presented with the game menu screen).

The 'Data Files' that I mentioned is the way the vanilla unmodded game allows you to select which mods you want activated after you've installed them in the game's Oblivion\Data folder. If you select 'Oblivion' from your Windows Start button it will bring up the vanilla game launcher, which presents you with a small sized dialogue with 'Play', 'Data Files', 'Options', 'Exit' etc. as possibilities (this is the same dialogue that you'll see if you insert the DVD and you have autorun enabled for your DVD/Bluray drive). You can activate or deactivate installed mods using that dialogue's 'Data Files' option, but don't use the 'Play' option from that menu after you have installed OBSE. As Fonger points out you can use either OBMM or Nexus Mod Manager to activate mods as well, it's just not my preference.

My advice would be to get the vanilla game (patched to 1.2.0416 showing in the bottom left of the game menu screen) with only the official DLCs, OBSE and OBMM installed and running and go through the tutorial dungeon. Just before you exit the tutorial dungeon (at the part where you can first see the sewer exit in the distance, before you make your final character changes) make a save that you can then use if you ever start a new character (and don't want to redo the entire tutorial). Exit the sewer and make your way to the Imperial City Market District (one of the more taxing areas for you computer, especially during the daylight when there's lots of NPCs wandering around). If all is well make another save there (handy for testing out mods). Then start adding the UOP etc. one at a time, testing with your testing save in between (if you want to do a good test after loading the testing save where you're in the IC Market take a quick stroll out to the Chestnut Handy Stables and beyond). If you do one at a time and things break it's pretty easy to say what caused the break.

I've never installed the UOP myself (though I do recommend it a lot) because my original character was seriously addicted to permanent bound armor, a glitch exploit that the UOP 'fixes' and I haven't gotten around to adding to my new guy's game yet. I also don't have any experience with the 4Gb patch, as I'm running a Win XP box with only 2 Gb of RAM. Another thing, the one mod at a time advice applies to regular mods too (armor, clothing, quests, gameplay changes etc.).

- Edit - I think my above advice still covers everything even after your previous comment's edit. And yes, all of the various flavours of UOP are just fixing what Bethesda didn't bother fixing themselves ... not user added mods.

Edited by Striker879

- Edit - I think my above advice still covers everything even after your previous comment's edit. And yes, all of the various flavours of UOP are just fixing what Bethesda didn't bother fixing themselves ... not user added mods.

But what about the UOP not installing correctly? Should I try the tech forum?

No need to start a new thread unless you think having that question under the Tech forum would help get it seen more (to my thoughts, since the release of Skyrim all of the categories here on the Oblivion forum get scrutinized pretty closely by the few who continue to frequent the Oblivion forum ... not so much traffic these days).

Are you saying that with just a vanilla game plus DLCs, plus OBSE plus OBMM running correctly you are still getting the error when you try to install the UOP?