Just bought PC Oblivion

Stemin

The trick is using other bodies that are compatible with the parts you're replacing. Sometimes waist or wrist/ankle seams don't line up. The other consideration leads to your "So if I understand it correctly any body will work with any armor". Textures are assigned to the mesh, so you need to stay within compatible bodies, in your case HGEC compatible. If you stray outside of the type you are using you can get some pretty obvious anomalies. The same applies to the clothes and armor you chose. If they aren't HGEC compatible you'll see weirdness with the textures. There are different 'families' that can be used together (e.g. HGEC and Exnem) as often one is just a derived later version of the other. Takes research and experimentation to find where the limits are (and questions).

I guess this is the meat and potatoes of my concern. I didn't really know much about the varying options presented to me when I installed the HGEC, and tried GUTS based on the fact that the surrounding text indicated I might be on the track of an athletic'ish type build I didn't know if I would be limited to strictly GUTS armors, or if any HGEC armor would work. After reading your post I'm kinda under the impression that most HGEC armors will work, but no guarantees. I was hoping for something a little more descriptive in the options or some type of screen shot. The only documentation I seem to have available is what's posted with the mod on nexus.

Edited by Stemin

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Light GUTS body is one of the less common ones for armor and clothes. There have been a couple of releases lately, though the only one I seem to be able to find off hand now is Forbidden Armor. The Light GUTS is close to the manga F-cup body ... if in fact your talking about the HGEC GUTS I think it's closer to DMRA for bust size (it's not one I use much in the BBB Designer Body Spell). I think you'll probably find even less selection for the HGEC GUTS proper (there are lots of armor and clothes available for either DMRA or HGEC H-cup, fewer as soon as you move away from either of those).

I myself don't get too worked up about female armor as I play a male character all the time, and so I only use female armor to equip CM Partners or Vilja, and the occasional NPC (who I console kill and then equip with what I want and then 'resurrect 1' them ... simpler than dealing with reference IDs that can change when load order changes, and then you need to figure out the new one). If the body shape change that happens when you equip different armors is an issue you'll need to do some research on what available armors you'd like and then settle on a body size that's close. Information like cup size is quite often hard to come by (except for some reason with ones like DMRA, which is quite obvious just to look at, and yet it will be prominently displayed in the mod name ... go figure).

I use a variety of sizes in clothing replacers so that the vanilla women in the game have a little variety to body shape.

- Edit - Just so you know, when I talk about using the Designer spell on a female NPC it's usually one I've killed and plan on resurrecting naked or more recently since I've started using the mod NPCs Yield ones that I've defeated (they've yielded) and I'm leaving them naked. Any NPCs that I'm leaving clothed or armored I don't use the spell on, as what you see will be determined by their clothing/armor.

Edited by Striker879

I'm starting to remember why I went away from pc gaming. Everything's such a PITA to get setup. I'm still fussing with the controls for the gamepad. Also, Skyrim dropped to $40 at gamestop and I had a $15 card so I picked it up for $25+tax. It's supposed to be plug and play with the xbox 360 pc controller. Yeah right. Camera is all slow and messed up. So now I'm fussing with both games trying to get them to play on vanilla. :(

Nothing ever works right on PC because everyone has a different setup and pc gamers always act like they're superior. It's nuts. This place has a very good attitude and good mods enforcing things. I like that. I was browsing the Steam forums for answers and it's almost as bad as gamefaqs.

Frame of reference is King. I don't have a TV, so no XBox etc. for me. Put me on a gamepad and I'd be lucky to make my guy move (I'm mouse + WASD all the way). It is surprising however that Skyrim isn't better handling the gamepad on PC than that ... it is after all a console port.

I would have been outa' here on day one if this site was anything but the way it is. TES Alliance is the only other one I'd visit (if I ever get back to working on 'Striker's Awesome Mod').

Have you poked a nose outside of the sewers yet?

Frame of reference is King. I don't have a TV, so no XBox etc. for me. Put me on a gamepad and I'd be lucky to make my guy move (I'm mouse + WASD all the way). It is surprising however that Skyrim isn't better handling the gamepad on PC than that ... it is after all a console port.

Man, that's what kills me. All these guys with attitudes always claiming their way is best. PC guys claiming "real gamers" use WASD and mouse, and criticize gamepad guys who complain that Skyrim won't let them change the button config on their gamepad, but then they get bent out of shape because they can't bind keys. What's the difference? And they want console guys to learn the WASD thing, but ask them to learn a gamepad and they're all mad. And console guys are vice versus, getting mad when they can't get something to work on PC.

I know both sides of the argument. I've been playing Skyrim on the PS3 since November. I didn't buy it at launch, but a few weeks after. I rented it and got hooked. It's buggy as any Bethesda game, and everyone was all up in arms about the lag. But I remember trying to play Doom when it first came out under the "minimum requirements" and it was just as bad. Nobody has any patience, empathy, or anything these days it seems like, so when you run into a place like this one where people don't bite your head off because you want to do something a certain way and they don't complain about petty things and treat each other respectful-like, it's something you appreciate.

I would have been outa' here on day one if this site was anything but the way it is. TES Alliance is the only other one I'd visit (if I ever get back to working on 'Striker's Awesome Mod').

Have you poked a nose outside of the sewers yet?

Naw man. I can't play the game until I find a control setup that works for me. I'd like to be able to just use my gamepad because that's what I like, but the game wasn't built for it. I'm trying to use some third party software (xpadder) and it's frustrating as heck when you think you got it down and all the sudden you realize you can't put your sword away or something else isn't working. I've never been able to do the mouse aiming thing. I remember back in the day when DOOM 2 was popular and online play was peaking on that particular game mouse aiming was considered the "easy" way to play and you couldn't play 100% keyboard unless you were a really elite gamer. I was never an elite gamer, I was always middle of the pack, but I always used keyboard because that's the only way I could play. And when guys found that out, you'd have thought I was doing something special keeping up with them. But to me that's just how it is.

The bottom line is you have to be able to play. Like you said. If you sat down and I gave you a gamepad you'd be lost. Well I have my PC hooked up to my HD tv so I can play comfortably and balancing a keyboard and mouse on my lap while I try to lay on the couch just isn't going to work. If I have to go that route I might as well go back to having a PC on the desk.

I don't know what the deal with skyrim is. It's supposed to hook right up and play and I've got an intel chip a gigabyte motherboard, and a geforce nvidia video card so I don't know how you can get any more name brand than that. It should hook right up and work, but it doesn't. Everything works except the camera movement stick. It's like the x axis and the y axis swing at two different speeds. I tried using a fix I found on youtube, but all the supposed changes I made that were supposed to cut the response time to the gamepad and fix the issue actually made the game worse. It's all jerky now, like the game just lurches along. I don't know how to describe it. I have a strong feeling it has to do with the changes they wanted me to do to limit the FPS to 50. I dunno. I don't want to go off topic, so if I can't fix it, I'll post something in the skyrijm forum.

I made some more changes to Oblivion's gamepad setup, but I didn't test it yet. Maybe it'll fix it. I dunno. I just want to play.

If everyone on the planet was exactly the same (well except me of course ... nobody could do that gig) I'd be up the creek. As it is, if I find something I like chances are it won't be available anymore after tomorrow. But that variety in humanity is central to what drives our society. Heck even in a microcosm like this site I'd be out of business. Make one thing one way and everyone get in line.

I remember making the jump from all keyboard to mouse and keyboard back around the Quake 2, Doom era. Until I found 'invert mouse' I was hopeless. Now as soon as I install a game I find the mouse menu and fix things up. It's either that or I literally spend all my time either looking at my toes or the ceiling. I just had to find out that I was left hand threaded but lived in a world of right hand threads. A while back I was working on one of my old machines that has been handed down to grandkids. It had Rise of the Triad on it (which uses the old Wolfenstein engine I think ... all keyboard). I was like you back in my pre-mouse + keyboard days, middle of the road. I can say that those 'middle of the road' skills aren't what they used to be, because my current frame of reference isn't even close to all keyboard anymore.

I don't have a lot of experience with Win 7 and peripherals as the only machines I've set up using it are Netbooks and a single laptop. My own laptop is Vista, but it's a hopelessly unbalanced thing (slow CPU with a decent NVIDIA mobile video chipset). I have set up a number of different peripherals on good old XP (wheel and pedals setups, flight controllers etc.) and once the jump to the USB interface was made it's been a mostly straightforward thing to set up (often the in-game setup becomes the weak link). Part of the difficulty you're experiencing may be rooted in Oblivion's dated relationship with Win 7. Have you tried any XP mode tests to see if you can get the game to recognize the controller better?

I can't imagine the back trouble I'd be into playing while laying on the couch. Even with a pretty good computer chair and what passes for good posture (my own personal version I'll admit) I need to balance my playing time with exercise time. Guess I could learn how to be a good couch potato and then work on perfecting it.

Rise of the Triad. Now there was some fun. Apogee game..... I think it was their first FPS to follow Wolfenstein. After doom... maybe doom 2. Before Duke 3d took off. Lots of fun. Unlike Doom, it was the first game to try jumping. Had spring pads like Quake. I remember it was the first game that had the feature where you could hit the f keys and send pre-recorded message to your friend across the network. "where are you?" Things of that nature that Duke3d used later. The graphics were crap compared to doom and if there was a story I don't remember. The network was a nightmare to try to get connected but the few times my friend and I did we had a blast. Nowadays kids would get frustrated and start complaining about it 2 seconds after they turned it on.

Oh.. and I don't literally lay on the couch. I have one of those corner units and I sit in the corner with my legs out in front of me. Think of it like the sitting in bed position. :)

Edited by Stemin

Do you remember the 'shrooms' power up, and dog mode when you got into the dog bisquits ... what a hoot. If you know about RotT you're in a select group (which is probably a dinosaur group ... but what the hay, that's still a select group right??). I didn't ever try Triad networked, but my son used to enjoy handing me my butt in Quake 2 and Doom. I did get one particularly excellent BFG9000 beat down on him, blew his sorry carcass all the way off of a roof. I made him wait for me to get down to do a victory dance ... you can probably tell that if we get reminiscing about the good old days I like to remember my one time.

Duke!! Now there's a whole 'nother 'member when.

Edited by Striker879

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying _REALLY_ hard to play this game, but this is ridiculous how unresponsive the controls are on my gamepad. Every time I step forward he kinda slides side to side and I still have to use the keyboard for stupid little things like dropping items and navigating the menus.

I've tried configuring the game according to wiki's instructions and I've tried two different profiles for xpadder from here on nexus and it's all crap.

I can't believe nobody's written a mod to support a gamepad with all the other stuff that's out there.

Very frustrated.

My very semi informed opinion regarding Oblivion and gamepads is that the support isn't the greatest. When you're swimming upstream you aren't on the softer easier path.