Just bought PC Oblivion

Stemin

The 'bugs' that the UOP fixes are not game breaking and mostly are things you may not even notice - such as a rock floating or a tear in the landscape. There may be a few that are more obvious, but it's been so long since I looked at UOP I don't remember. If you want to know exactly what it fixes, the documentation will tell you. Try the game without it first.

OBSE is only actually required when a mod needs it to work. If you run the game with OBSE, and no mod needs it you will not even know it's there. However, If you try to run the game with a mod that requires OBSE, you will get a crash, and probably when you first start the game. If you haven't installed any mods yet, it should work fine either with or without OBSE. OBSE is not persistant - that means that it MUST be started every time you start the game. That's what the OBSE loader does, it starts OBSE, and then the game.

Both OBMM and NMM have a OBSE launcher built in that will start OBSE first if it is installed. Because I have so many mods installed through OBMM, I still use that in preference to reinstalling all of my mods with NMM. I do use NMM for Skyrim though. NMM is a beta (under test) program and may still have a few bugs.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

could not find any mention of this issue in this thread

explain your problem

The only hitch I ran into during installation and possibly the cause is when I install the Unofficial Official mod patch, it runs the TES4LODGen 3.0.15 Experimental script at the end of the installation and that crashes. When it gets to Background Loader DLCVileLair.esp it gives a fatal EOSError System error Code 2, saying it cannot find the specified file.

Are you saying that with just a vanilla game plus DLCs, plus OBSE plus OBMM running correctly you are still getting the error when you try to install the UOP?

Yes. I haven't installed any "mods". I just installed the patches that were supposed to fix the game.. the script extender, the 4g patch, the mod manager, and boss. I installed them in the order suggested in the post that Lanceor linked to: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/569220-new-to-oblivion/page__p__4632501#entry4632501

I did Oblivion (in its own /Games/ directory) then the DLC's. Then got the controller working per the instructions you linked to on Wiki. Game ran.

Installed the patches. Got an error when I installed the Unofficial Official Mod Patch. Ran OBMM. Ran BOSS. Ran Oblivion. Game crashed. Ran OBSE_Loader after your suggestion. Game crashed. Uninstalled UOMP and the game runs.

could not find any mention of this issue in this thread

explain your problem

The only hitch I ran into during installation and possibly the cause is when I install the Unofficial Official mod patch, it runs the TES4LODGen 3.0.15 Experimental script at the end of the installation and that crashes. When it gets to Background Loader DLCVileLair.esp it gives a fatal EOSError System error Code 2, saying it cannot find the specified file.

ran a text search for UOP and again for Unoffic

it didn't show up ...

anyways

UOP and UOMP are different mods

but this is only about generating the LOD and doesn't change actual game play so its an ignorable issue

however you could always re-order your mods to accommodate this then run the LODgenerator again

BTW its quite a trick to get that to run to completion, but it is possible.

I just had a look at the Unofficial Mods Patch and see it has three files for different styles of installation (don't worry Fonger ... search hates me too, I have the UOP and now the UOMP links saved in a text file). Which of the three possible methods did you try Stemin?

- Edit - Just read through some of the mod description and this caught my eye:

These plugins MUST load after the DLC's that they patch; reversing this load order, or activating the UOMP ESP's without the official DLC's that they patch present, can cause Oblivion to crash on launch or load of a save. (The self-installing version will set the appropriate dates; use OBMM or equivalent if you use the manual version to adjust the load order.)

- Edit 2 - If anyone can help get to the bottom of this Fonger's got to be near the top of the list (look at the credits section of the UOMP description).

Edited by Striker879

I just had a look at the Unofficial Mods Patch and see it has three files for different styles of installation (don't worry Fonger ... search hates me too, I have the UOP and now the UOMP links saved in a text file). Which of the three possible methods did you try Stemin?

- Edit - Just read through some of the mod description and this caught my eye:

These plugins MUST load after the DLC's that they patch; reversing this load order, or activating the UOMP ESP's without the official DLC's that they patch present, can cause Oblivion to crash on launch or load of a save. (The self-installing version will set the appropriate dates; use OBMM or equivalent if you use the manual version to adjust the load order.)

- Edit 2 - If anyone can help get to the bottom of this Fonger's got to be near the top of the list (look at the credits section of the UOMP description).

Cool. Glad I got the right guy. And I'm 99% sure I loaded the installer version 16. The file name is Unofficial_Official_Mods_Patch_v16_Installer_Version-9969-16-1.

ran a text search for UOP and again for Unoffic

it didn't show up ...

Not a big deal.

anyways

UOP and UOMP are different mods

I had thought UOMP would be the proper abbr. but I kept typing it out long ways, (Unofficial Official Mod Patch) and everyone who replied was saying, UOP. I just figured that was how they knew it. I'm sorry if it caused confusion, but I don't think it was anything on my end. I mostly typed out the entire patch title even though I didn't really want to. I wanted to be clear and somehow still failed.

but this is only about generating the LOD and] doesn't change actual game play so its an ignorable issue

however you could always re-order your mods to accommodate this then run the LODgenerator again

BTW its quite a trick to get that to run to completion, but it is possible.

Well, I don't really care if the list completes, but I can't run the patch at all because my game will immediately crash to the desktop. No error messages at all.

OH... and Striker879 talked about installing DLC's before installing the patches... I did that. I wanted to make sure the entire KoN and SI were installed before applying patches. I made sure the game ran before proceeding. I also made sure the gamepad setup worked before proceeding. As soon as I uninstalled the UOMP, the crashing problem stopped.

I'd have a look at the manual install version and see if there's an option to install it without the TES4LODGen 3.0.15 Experimental script, but Fonger will know far more about this than I could possibly know (if I don't use the UOP I guess you can kinda' figure out the possibility of me using the UOMP).

I'd have a look at the manual install version and see if there's an option to install it without the TES4LODGen 3.0.15 Experimental script, but Fonger will know far more about this than I could possibly know (if I don't use the UOP I guess you can kinda' figure out the possibility of me using the UOMP).

Well, the installer version has the option to uncheck that. The install will complete without it, but I still had the crashing issue. I could try it on a clean copy I suppose.

Something that I use to keep my two characters save games/mod lists separate (that was also very easy to install and learn how to use) is Multiple Oblivion Manager - MOM. It's also very useful for things like having a separate Oblivion install for testing mods etc.