Creation Club Summer 2017

N7R

Anyone think skse64 will become a paid mod? ☹

It is unlikely that it will become a paid mod or even endorsed by Bethesda Softworks since it modifies the way the executable runs.

Don't forget that this program has been shoveled on us by BS and not BGS I'm not even sure if BGS had much say in whether or not this program went forward... The Zenemax overlords have become a plague on what used to be a tight group of interconnected companies, as far as I know the group which used to share staff no longer does so the 3 arms and head don't know what who is doing (Zenemax Media, Zenemax Online Studios, BGS, and BS being the 4 pieces).

Sorry about that rant but as far as I can guess no F4SE will never be eligible to be a "paid mod" regardless of what they are calling it.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... Bethesda is at this idea... again. Well, I get the feeling the only mods that will be paid will be ones like this fishing mingame, armors, swords and bleak, uninspired followers without any trace of a character. At least I hope this will be the majority of the cases. The fact they are vauge doesn't bode well. It's " Paid Mods 2.0", minus valve cooperation. I can bet it will be the same i.e they get 75% cut and you can die of starvation for all they care. ( I know majority of moders have regular jobs, just saying in case of those who would like this to be full time job.)

So... Bethesda is at this idea... again. Well, I get the feeling the only mods that will be paid will be ones like this fishing mingame, armors, swords and bleak, uninspired followers without any trace of a character. At least I hope this will be the majority of the cases. The fact they are vauge doesn't bode well. It's " Paid Mods 2.0", minus valve cooperation. I can bet it will be the same i.e they get 75% cut and you can die of starvation for all they care. ( I know majority of moders have regular jobs, just saying in case of those who would like this to be full time job.)

This will take off, people will buy the products offered. On PS4 they are dying for extra content, when they'll be presented with new weapons and quests they'll jump at it.

Also, those bs mods you're suggesting won't get past the "email deleted" part.

It really is Bethesdas fault they have this dumpster fire in the first place.

The announcement was hidden in the middle of their press conference. They did not explain it or what they intended to do with it. Several parts of the FAQ are vague or don't touch on some of the worries of the community.

At the end I'm not happy about it, but I'm not angry either. It's just Bethesda seeing a huge market for mods and attempting to monetize it and get a cut of the money. I don't agree with it because there is no way they are going to pay a mod maker a decent sum of money. I hope I'm wrong about that and truly only time will tell but I doubt that you would get paid enough to consider it a full time job or even a part time job.

Its interesting too see because while everyone is focused on mod makers lets take a step back and notice that they said they would make some of these mods/micro dlc in house and that other third parties could as well. This could be interesting to see and time will only tell if its good or not.

Ethreon you make a valid point in that most will probably not make it into this process, but Bethesda is not exactly known for a well polished end product, while I love fallout 4 it was severely lacking in many areas such as quests, story, and the settlement system. So its not hard to imagine that these curated mods will have junk thrown in. Honestly its too soon to tell. They are going to have to have someone who is reading emails about pitched ideas and approve them and judging from how big the community is and how many people from the community will try to cash in on this they will probably have 1000s of submissions daily. Because its not going to be the best modders trying to get in it, you are going to have guys that have spent 10 minutes in a modeling program and think they can model pitching ideas for things. Someone will have to be there to "curate it". This can cause an issue because they may read an idea and hate it but it may be something that the community would love and enjoy.

Personally I don't think they thought the announcement and the execution through very well, I mean they thought the Bethesda net was going to go well and it was a train wreck and for many it did not offer a lot of good faith with Bethesda and the mod community. Not to mention how many good mods will we miss out on? Right now someone has a good idea they come here and post their idea and ask for help on it or they make it and post it for download, but with the creation club many may just hold their ideas back or not even make their mods if they cant get into the creation club. I'm not saying mods wont be made because I know there are many mod makers who believe in mods being free but there are many who would like to get money from their hard work and if they cant get paid then we may never see them. Again its too early to tell and if you really want to be angry at something don't be angry at the guy speculating but be angry at Bethesda. They left this whole creation club idea up in the air and left several key parts of it open to interpretation and then there is the fallout within the community that we can't foresee but speculate upon.

I don't like the idea of having to pay for community made content because it can possibly put a lot of undue pressure on the author. You think some mod users are entitled now, wait until they have spent $ on your mod and its breaks their game of their save or just doesn't work because they didn't follow the instructions ( I know the mod authors reading this know what I'm talking about). I have no problem paying mod authors for their hard work and were I not a broke college student I'd donate as much as I could to mod authors cause many on the nexus deserve every penny they get, but I don't believe in paying Bethesda for work they aren't doing. Plus the very idea of the creation club is just another attempt by another developer to get into the micro transaction model. That in and of itself shouldn't be supported. Yea you can say they curate it and help in the Q@A process but they aren't the ones modeling or scripting for hours on end.

It will be interesting to watch and see what happens as we do not have all of the details we do not know what the curation process will be like, and we don't know what they will reject or accept, and we don't know how some of the mod authors out there will react to it or what they will do about it.

Seeing Bethesda's twitter account and their youtube video on this subject it may just fall out of view and never return for a while because the community is not happy about it except for a small portion of it and a small portion does not make a lot of sales.

Sorry for the book but its not an easy issue to discuss without trying to see it from all sides.

Edited by bluesunmerc

You, and a great many of the proponents keep asserting this, yet we have zero evidence to the contrary. All you have is 'faith' in Bethesda not doing this. When there has been a long history of similar statements from similar programs getting reneged upon because of money. While I agree that many of those claiming that this will 'kill free mods' and the like are absurd, I find your 'faith' vs evidence similarly absurd. Stop trying to defend this based on what you *want* to happen, and instead look at what *has* happened and use that as a guide. Please.

fishing mingame, armors, swords and bleak, uninspired followers without any trace of a character.

Uh... Except that kind of stuff is exactly what they showed at E3, minus the followers and the fishing minigame... Did you miss that?

Edited by Guest

The announcement was hidden in the middle of their press conference. They did not explain it or what they intended to do with it. Several parts of the FAQ are vague or don't touch on some of the worries of the community.

At the end I'm not happy about it, but I'm not angry either. It's just Bethesda seeing a huge market for mods and attempting to monetize it and get a cut of the money. I don't agree with it because there is no way they are going to pay a mod maker a decent sum of money. I hope I'm wrong about that and truly only time will tell but I doubt that you would get paid enough to consider it a full time job or even a part time job.

Its interesting too see because while everyone is focused on mod makers lets take a step back and notice that they said they would make some of these mods/micro dlc in house and that other third parties could as well. This could be interesting to see and time will only tell if its good or not.

Ethreon you make a valid point in that most will probably not make it into this process, but Bethesda is not exactly known for a well polished end product, while I love fallout 4 it was severely lacking in many areas such as quests, story, and the settlement system. So its not hard to imagine that these curated mods will have junk thrown in. Honestly its too soon to tell. They are going to have to have someone who is reading emails about pitched ideas and approve them and judging from how big the community is and how many people from the community will try to cash in on this they will probably have 1000s of submissions daily. Because its not going to be the best modders trying to get in it, you are going to have guys that have spent 10 minutes in a modeling program and think they can model pitching ideas for things. Someone will have to be there to "curate it". This can cause an issue because they may read an idea and hate it but it may be something that the community would love and enjoy.

Personally I don't think they thought the announcement and the execution through very well, I mean they thought the Bethesda net was going to go well and it was a train wreck and for many it did not offer a lot of good faith with Bethesda and the mod community. Not to mention how many good mods will we miss out on? Right now someone has a good idea they come here and post their idea and ask for help on it or they make it and post it for download, but with the creation club many may just hold their ideas back or not even make their mods if they cant get into the creation club. I'm not saying mods wont be made because I know there are many mod makers who believe in mods being free but there are many who would like to get money from their hard work and if they cant get paid then we may never see them. Again its too early to tell and if you really want to be angry at something don't be angry at the guy speculating but be angry at Bethesda. They left this whole creation club idea up in the air and left several key parts of it open to interpretation and then there is the fallout within the community that we can't foresee but speculate upon.

I don't like the idea of having to pay for community made content because it can possibly put a lot of undue pressure on the author. You think some mod users are entitled now, wait until they have spent $ on your mod and its breaks their game of their save or just doesn't work because they didn't follow the instructions ( I know the mod authors reading this know what I'm talking about). I have no problem paying mod authors for their hard work and were I not a broke college student I'd donate as much as I could to mod authors cause many on the nexus deserve every penny they get, but I don't believe in paying Bethesda for work they aren't doing. Plus the very idea of the creation club is just another attempt by another developer to get into the micro transaction model. That in and of itself shouldn't be supported. Yea you can say they curate it and help in the Q@A process but they aren't the ones modeling or scripting for hours on end.

It will be interesting to watch and see what happens as we do not have all of the details we do not know what the curation process will be like, and we don't know what they will reject or accept, and we don't know how some of the mod authors out there will react to it or what they will do about it.

Seeing Bethesda's twitter account and their youtube video on this subject it may just fall out of view and never return for a while because the community is not happy about it except for a small portion of it and a small portion does not make a lot of sales.

Sorry for the book but its not an easy issue to discuss without trying to see it from all sides.

Interesting to see what will happen indeed. Horse power armor says it all. Micro dlc is the scourge of gaming. I'd almost bet that horse armor thing is from an in house employee as well. Was probably leftover from some unused idea and they figured some idiot out there would be willing to pay them money for it. But hey, it looks like they are trying to help out all of the starving modders who are just trying to make a little money from their hobby. If they came right out of the gate saying creators who join will get a fair share of profits from every sell, I'd be a little less pessimistic, but it's just not the case. They are going to make a killing from consoles. Especially if this takes off. It's guaranteed any future fallout or elder scroll games will have it from the start.

And I'm still really worried they are going to throw the book at any modders' work who just so happens to make something similar (and possibly better...like dogtooth's awesome stealth suit) to what they have in the CC. This is Bethesda. They do these kinds of things all of the time. This is a company who will go after smaller developers who have words in their game titles that are similar to their game titles. I doubt they'll have a problem doing it to modders who don't join their new venture into microtransactions. If money is involved, you can bet their lawyers are going to get all kinds of excited about the new wave of DCMAs and copyright claims they'll get to create.

Whatever though. I'm not going to be a part of it either way. Gave up modding before the valve thing happened. And I'll never do it again. Just hope some of the more talented modders don't get screwed over because some in house dev or other creates something that causes copyright silliness for them.

Interesting to see what will happen indeed. Horse power armor says it all. Micro dlc is the scourge of gaming. I'd almost bet that horse armor thing is from an in house employee as well. Was probably leftover from some unused idea and they figured some idiot out there would be willing to pay them money for it. But hey, it looks like they are trying to help out all of the starving modders who are just trying to make a little money from their hobby. If they came right out of the gate saying creators who join will get a fair share of profits from every sell, I'd be a little less pessimistic, but it's just not the case. They are going to make a killing from consoles. Especially if this takes off. It's guaranteed any future fallout or elder scroll games will have it from the start.

And I'm still really worried they are going to throw the book at any modders' work who just so happens to make something similar (and possibly better...like dogtooth's awesome stealth suit) to what they have in the CC. This is Bethesda. They do these kinds of things all of the time. This is a company who will go after smaller developers who have words in their game titles that are similar to their game titles. I doubt they'll have a problem doing it to modders who don't join their new venture into microtransactions. If money is involved, you can bet their lawyers are going to get all kinds of excited about the new wave of DCMAs and copyright claims they'll get to create.

Whatever though. I'm not going to be a part of it either way. Gave up modding before the valve thing happened. And I'll never do it again. Just hope some of the more talented modders don't get screwed over because some in house dev or other creates something that causes copyright silliness for them.

Yea, I may have not stated it in my post but I know good and well that they aren't doing this to help out the mod authors, its to line their pocket, but is that what they will do? Just give the mod authors scraps while they rake in a lions share? I hope not but until they show some proof to state other wise I believe thats how it will go. Again this dumpster fire is only raging because they did not explain it or even attempt to explain it. It was a 2 or so minute video hidden in the middle for a reason because they knew it was a bad idea. I think they are trying to see if they can skate it by us without to much backlash adn their twitter replies and youtube replies would suggest they didn't.

This worries me as well. Modding never bothered them legally but now that they are making money off of it whats to keep them from using copyright claims to strike down mods on the nexus? You have to think that most dcma and copyright claims made by devs against fan made projects are because they are afraid that people will play the fan made project and not buy their game. This is the same situation but instead of games its a mod. As I said I'd rather this didn't happen and like I said in and earlier post they are trying to fix a "problem" that isn't there to begin with. Some have talked about people being entitled to the free works of the mod authors and while yes some mod users are entitled and take the mod authors for granted most are appreciative for the work that is done and offer constructive criticism.

Its no secret that when you involve money its complicates things and changes the community and I'm afraid this may be the case.