Can Paid and Free Mods Coexist?

Fkemman11

Isn't it up to the mod author to negotiate with Bethesda on the conditions of their contract, including compensation?? Why in the world would that concern others who are not a part of the project? Publishers are always going to get the "lion's share" of profits. It's that way with every creative work. They will bear all of the production and promotion costs, providing the tools and the support, not to mention QA. The mod author is not being forced to do anything or accept compensations they find unsatisfactory, so I don't see why it concerns anyone else really how much they are paid by Bethesda.

It is, of course, 100% up to the mod author on what amount of monetary compensation is satisfactory for them. People who "complain" on behalf of mod authors aren't doing so for the benefit of the mod authors within the Creation Club, they are simply doing it to complain about the Creation Club while using the guise of being pro mod author.

Edited by Reneer

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

You know, I wanted to believe that Beth was going to do this with the idea of making more quality DLC content for their games. Not only are they NOT going to do that, they are releasing mods that are essentially copies of mods already available here and elsewhere. And the estimates on these "poser" mods is about $5 US EACH. Five dollars for black paint? Five dollars for a weapon mod? Even at just a dollar each they would make significant profit. They aren't paying the authors a whole lot either from what I hear. One flat fee that is nothing compared to what they potentially could make. Oh and all those ppl trying to say this was not paid mods can eat their words now. Lets not forget the forced download from Steam. If this stands then what will be next? Will they intentionally withhold content from future titles so they can offer it to make more money in CC later on? Will they start enforcing copyright for mods that were here first and then basically re-released by them behind a paywall? This may not be the end of free modding, but it may be the end of modding for Beth.

You know, I wanted to believe that Beth was going to do this with the idea of making more quality DLC content for their games. Not only are they NOT going to do that, they are releasing mods that are essentially copies of mods already available here and elsewhere. And the estimates on these "poser" mods is about $5 US EACH. Five dollars for black paint? Five dollars for a weapon mod? Even at just a dollar each they would make significant profit. They aren't paying the authors a whole lot either from what I hear. One flat fee that is nothing compared to what they potentially could make. Oh and all those ppl trying to say this was not paid mods can eat their words now. Lets not forget the forced download from Steam. If this stands then what will be next? Will they intentionally withhold content from future titles so they can offer it to make more money in CC later on? Will they start enforcing copyright for mods that were here first and then basically re-released by them behind a paywall? This may not be the end of free modding, but it may be the end of modding for Beth.

Beth has nothing to do except provide a payment infrastructure and some menus. You shouldn't have had any expectations from Beth themselves to begin with. It's up to modders who participated on whether it's good or not. Time will tell, I guess.

edit: On a sidenote, I should add that I really don't like hearing YouTubers rant about this especially. They should hold their tongues. They make more money than any modder. That's a sad state of affairs, if there ever was one. Where critics and reviewers make more money than producers. And then they lay into producers, not seeing their own hypocrisy. There's nothing like this that exists in the entire world.... where car magazine writers make more money than engineers or sports writers are more important than athletes. It's absurd.

Edited by kthompsen

How long till modding is only supported through the CC? That is where this will end up. Modders will capitulate. Hey why shouldn't I charge $.50? The thing is Bethesda will get most of the money. Not to mention all the s#*! is downloaded on my SSD whether I want it or not. Bethesda has been a money grubbing crap company since the unplayable Daggerfall. Enter the same dungeon in 4000 different locations. Fallout 4 same quests handed out to infinity. Like going to a cheap buffet, huge line of food the same flavorless s#*! over and over. To answer the question, no it cant co-exist. Not for long.

I am old enough to remember when people made mods just for fun and it never even crossed their minds to think about being paid for them. I don't like where this Creation Club is headed.

Will Fallout 5 and the next Elder Scrolls not come with the Creation Kit... and have file encryption so only those who sign on with Bethesda can make mods? Bethesda wants to control every aspect of modding, despite what they say.

I am old enough to remember when people made mods just for fun and it never even crossed their minds to think about being paid for them. I don't like where this Creation Club is headed.

Will Fallout 5 and the next Elder Scrolls not come with the Creation Kit... and have file encryption so only those who sign on with Bethesda can make mods? Bethesda wants to control every aspect of modding, despite what they say.

Even if that's true, and I think it probably is, I don't understand the cause for complaint. If one wants to go into the video game business, it's their decision and has (or should have) absolutely nothing to do with Bethesda or their products. Where I find fault with Bethesda is their belief that it's possible to first include development systems with games, at no extra cost, and then years later (in a few cases 10+ years) monetize and reign in control of this development. Any mod author who does it for love (and again, many have been doing it for love for over a decade) should be offended at this move imo. Many will choose to quit modding or move on to other games from other companies, rather than be forced to treat modding as a business venture. Edited by TheMastersSon

Just wait till next game Beth releases charges 3D Max licensing for creation kit

https://www.autodesk.com/products/3ds-max/subscribe?plc=3DSMAX&term=1-YEAR&support=ADVANCED&quantity=1

Modding was something expected and included in the game

Now they are trying to STEAL from consumers it is that simple.

If they really wanted to allow modders to make money they could just remove all restrictions.

Yet that is not what it is about.

It is about stealing money by charging for features that already exist.

Most of you are looking at their short term goals.

Edited by TexMex477