Otto Warmbier, American Student Released From North Korea, Dies

Beriallord

That's enough of the name calling, if you can't discuss things in a civilised manner then don't post.

Exactly, the blatant disregard, in all these posts in this thread, for the young man that lost his life is indecent and uncivilized.

The young mans blatant disregard for common sense is what got him dead. And I am supposed to feel sympathy for him? Not happening.

If that makes me indecent, and uncivilized, I can live with that.

How much of what you call now, common sense did you have when you were his age? common sense is not as common as people put out and many times the good sense we have, today is because of the rocky road of bad decisions we've navigated in our youth. We also need to understand that the world was a different place in our youth and that the miracles of technology, today has made the world a smaller place, without granting anyone any better grasp of this thing called wisdom.

When I was his age, I was in the Air Force. I had the sense NOT to thumb my nose at another countries laws, and I also had the sense NOT to travel to countries where americans were hated, and vilified. Of course, I wasn't a rich white kid, that had had everything handed to him either.

From what I've read he was in a nearby country (I think it was either China or Korea I can't remember) and he went with a tour company that targets their advertising towards western students studying abroad. The trips are marketed as "The trip your parents don't want you to take!" and that sort of thing. The company apparently ceased to exist in the wake of this incident. Most people probably just do it so they can have a crazy story to tell when they get back home. Its hard for me to even feel sympathy for him. What he did was astoundingly arrogant.

While desperately sad as such an incident is, this unfortunately probably sums it up. It is like the worlds of Capitalism and Communism colliding together.

Makes one wonder about all the families, children, all our fellow humans, who are unremittingly killed and maimed everyday all over the world by proxy wars, greed, and power - more often than not without a choice or even any recognition. A truly horrible situation that should not take lightly, but I fear like it happens all too often that such incidents are simply politicised and used in ways that more than likely are a disrespect to those that have lost their lives or had theirs ruined by it.

How much of what you call now, common sense did you have when you were his age? common sense is not as common as people put out and many times the good sense we have, today is because of the rocky road of bad decisions we've navigated in our youth. We also need to understand that the world was a different place in our youth and that the miracles of technology, today has made the world a smaller place, without granting anyone any better grasp of this thing called wisdom.

I agree with you brother.

There is no such thing as common sense there is only perception and we all perceive differently according to our upbringing and accumulated life experience.Those that want to feel superior to this young man are,of course,going to want to express that superiority for their fellows to admire.Forums are perfect for displaying superiority ,doesn't matter if it's true all that matters is the projection without contention.No contention means the illusion of belief and then they can continue their desperate longing to feel superior in another post.

Empathy is discarded by these addicts of ego projection for obviously empathy gets in the way of self aggrandizement.

"I have no sympathy for him",means- look at me,i am superior and i want recognition and applause from the others in this thread that are like-minded.This is the world we live in today,this is the world of youtube,of the internet.

I agree with you brother.

There is no such thing as common sense there is only perception and we all perceive differently according to our upbringing and accumulated life experience.Those that want to feel superior to this young man are,of course,going to want to express that superiority for their fellows to admire.Forums are perfect for displaying superiority ,doesn't matter if it's true all that matters is the projection without contention.No contention means the illusion of belief and then they can continue their desperate longing to feel superior in another post.

Empathy is discarded by these addicts of ego projection for obviously empathy gets in the way of self aggrandizement.

"I have no sympathy for him",means- look at me,i am superior and i want recognition and applause from the others in this thread that are like-minded.This is the world we live in today,this is the world of youtube,of the internet.

And then we have those that like to pretend they are superior, by assigning motivations to folks they have never met.

And then we have those that like to pretend they are superior, by assigning motivations to folks they have never met.

It seems that some have learned nothing, though I had a mild hope that the experience of Coventry would have had some ameliorative effect, evidently not . :facepalm:

It seems that some have learned nothing, though I had a mild hope that the experience of Coventry would have had some ameliorative effect, evidently not . :facepalm:

A leopard cannot change its spots.

@Gandolf

If you want to debate, then present logically your countervailing thesis. So far I have seen precious little of that in your posts. One liners followed by whatever it is that you deem clever imagery is simply boring and belongs in the Lounge, not here.

@Gandolf

If you want to debate, then present your countervailing thesis. So far I have seen precious little of that in your posts. One liners followed by whatever it is that you deem clever imagery is simply boring and belongs in the Lounge, not here.

"countervailing thesis""He was young and naive".Done.It's Gandalf not Gandolf.

Yes, he was. He was still under the "it won't happen to me" delusion, or maybe "mommy and her money will always bail me out." And it cost him his life.

He violated Rule Number 1 of the cowboy code. He found himself in a hole, (north korea) and he kept digging. (stealing)

Looking over this thread I honestly think it has run its course. We can argue the stupidity of the actions, the stupidity of entering a country like North Korea or what have you. As was said, we will likely never know the motivations of this individual or the actuality of what really happened.

Personally I am a bit disappointed at the callus attitude some of you seem to show in this matter. This young man just died. I can not imagine the pain his family must be going through. Perhaps this young man would grow to make better decisions had his life not been cut short. However his potential is now lost, it is a life unfinished.

So as you all cast your eyes at this young man, blaming the end result to his poor decisions, think how you would feel if this was your child. Think of the dumb things your own children have done, or siblings or even yourself. Yes, his decisions were perhaps not the best but I am not sure his death was the fair outcome. My daughter just experienced her first loss of a friend. A young man of 19 that went hiking on a family vacation. He made a stupid decision that resulted in his death. A typical "I am invincible" decision many of his age make. It has torn up his family, his friends and an entire community. It doesn't matter to the people who loved him that he made a mistake. His brother whom he was with saw it, unable to stop it but still is so guilt-filled that he can hardly move. His best friend wonders why this likable and otherwise smart person's light is extinguished. I can not imagine the call these parents got. I can not imagine the feeling of Wambier's family to see him as he came back to them, and then be no more.

I sure as hell don't think showing such callous disregard for a life is something for which I would want to be known here. You can discuss the things that happened in a way that holds more compassion than many of you have.

Again, I think this discussion has more than run its course.