The Care Taker

TerrorFox1234

@Dreifels; Read my post immediately before yours. The Care Taker cannot help you. It's purpose is to hold mods, nothing more.

If the original mod was turned over to the Care Taker, it would appear in a search of the Nexus like any other. If it does not, then it's not here.

And in any case, the Care Taker cannot change the original mod's permissions. So even when a mod is given to the Care Taker, if its permissions didn't allow others to make changes, they still won't.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,
I've made my own modification to the mod "Easy Wheelmenu" https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/69878 for personal use.

The mod author stated the following regarding ownership/permissions:

NOTE FROM ORIGINAL AUTHOR: Anyone who is considered a mod author by Nexus Mods' standard (i.e. have access to the private MA forum, or if this definition change in the future, meet said definition) can request ownership of the mod if s/he wishes to update and maintain it. The only conditions are that permissions stay fully open, the mod isn't deleted from Nexus, and the mod may not be used as a basis for submitting an application to the Creation Club.

So, basically he states that permissions are "fully open" and wishes it to remain this way.

Now, I'm not interested in owning the mod, or posting on the Nexus (yet). But based on that statement, does it mean that I could share my modification on a third party site such as reddit? I assume that falls under "full permissions".

Thank you for the consideration!

Edited by hazardass

According to the settings in the permissions tab, you can share your modification both on Nexus and elsewhere as long as you don't make any money off it. The statement you quote appears to only be about requesting ownership over the original's page. After all, you can't just go from full open permission to closed ('ownership' as in exclusive copyright) on a whim, and the statement specifically says perms should 'stay fullly open', so what else could it mean, really.

..., the Care Taker cannot change the original mod's permissions.

This is/was clear so far. My only thinking was, that the owner could not give (or exclude) a permission that time, to somethng he did not know about. In this case: The existence of SSE and its technical spcifications in relation to oldrim, before SSE's publishing. A conversion to SSE would not change the original's permissions, they'd have to be taken over. The Caretaker as trustee could manage this. So far my thinking.

OK, I apologize. For future reference, if I have a question about the Care Taker, should I post in a the new thread in the "Feedback, suggestions and questions" section?

According to the settings in the permissions tab, you can share your modification both on Nexus and elsewhere as long as you don't make any money off it. The statement you quote appears to only be about requesting ownership over the original's page. After all, you can't just go from full open permission to closed ('ownership' as in exclusive copyright) on a whim, and the statement specifically says perms should 'stay fullly open', so what else could it mean, really

Thanks. in the future I'll defer to the permissions tab of the mod page.

Edited by hazardass

..., the Care Taker cannot change the original mod's permissions.

This is/was clear so far. My only thinking was, that the owner could not give (or exclude) a permission that time, to somethng he did not know about. In this case: The existence of SSE and its technical spcifications in relation to oldrim, before SSE's publishing. A conversion to SSE would not change the original's permissions, they'd have to be taken over. The Caretaker as trustee could manage this. So far my thinking.

Nope. The Care Taker cannot prospectively presume what choice(s) the original author might have made given changing circumstances. And just because they have changed doesn't mean that the author would/should change the previously declared permissions.

If/when the Care Taker hears from the original author, that discussion can be had.

• 1 month later...

@slowslow; The conditions are that the author requests the mod be transferred to the Care Taker. That's it. We absolutely do not preemptively take control of others' works.

And even with such a request, unless the author gave explicit permission for further use, being managed by the Care Taker does not mean we could give anyone else permission to port the mod.