Recommend a Castle or Large House

ProfArmitage

I've been looking through the various castles and houses featured on Darkelfguy's Morrowind Modding Showcase, and none of them really fit what I'm looking for. I'm hoping that someone here might be able to suggest something. It's worth noting that my issues are mainly roleplaying in nature.

What I'm looking for:

1. Something that I earn, either with money, a quest, or both. It doesn't feel right to just walk into a castle or mansion and say "This is mine now." That's actually kind of funny, considering the number of bolt-holes I've set up in empty houses after the occupants were killed in quests.

2. Extensive living space. Enough quarters to realistically house Companion NPCs, servant NPCs (A Lord's Men, Nevena's Assistants and Apprentices, etc), and other NPCs (the Morrowind Family or Ebonheart Orphange additions to Children of Morrowind, for example).

3. Exterior grounds. This isn't essential, but I like the idea of servants doing work outside the walls and guards patrolling my land. With Wayfarer's Rest, The Farmer Mod, PC Clothier, PC Smithy, Erengard Mines, and similar mods, I'm sure I can find things for the servants to do in other locations.

4. Connection to the world. This also isn't essential. Some castles and houses are placed on islands in the middle of the ocean, on flying rocks up in the sky, or in their own interior cells. I imagine that this reduces conflicts, but I like the possibility of my guards fighting with a pack of Nix-Hounds that happened to wander into my territory, or archers shooting at a Cliffracer.

I like Yorick's Tower. I like Spokorni's work in general. It's a nice design, with lots of storage space, and devoid of clutter, so the player can add their own. With the optional quest file, getting it requires a large sum of money and a high level quest. However, it's on an island that's barely bigger than the tower itself. More importantly, it's very short on living space. There are two dedicated guest rooms, which become occupied by NPCs met during the quest, if you invite them. There are a couple guest beds attached to the Master's Chambers, a librarian's bedroom off the library, and some barracks and servants quarters in the basement. Not really enough for what I'm looking for. In theory, a furniture mod could be used to turn two additional areas discovered during the quest into living quarters, but it's tough from a roleplaying perspective.

"Here are your new bedrooms kids. Have fun exploring the caverns. Don't play with the Daedric portal."

Castle Hestatur, also by Spokorni, has a lot more living quarters, and it's on a bigger island, with enough grounds that there are already harvestable plants in place. The problem is that it's free. Combine that with the teleporters that are included, and that's a lot of power for the cost of a levitate or water walking spell.

Nerevarine's Castle is effectively a "reward", earned by completing the main quest. I haven't looked at it in depth, but Darkelfguy's video mentions "a couple guest rooms", so it may not have the space I'm looking for. It also wasn't completely finished, but that doesn't appear to affect the playability.

It seems like everything that's big enough is free, like Castle Vianden or Helios Keep. Anyone have any suggestions?

Korana's Solstheim Castle?

Private Mobile Base is an oldie but a goodie (flying house, ton of add-ons to buy, huge when fully extended). Can't remember the number of guest bedrooms though.

More oldies here - http://www.mwmythicmods.com/kwshouses.htm

Best place to find old mods is Morrowind Modding History, which you've probably been to.

[Edit: White Wolf of Lokken Mountain (I think) nets you a home at the end, there's MW Children support via an add-on, IIRC]

Edited by Dragon32

Arynx castle maybe? I don't remember about creatures around though Edited by abot

Arynx castle maybe? I don't remember about creatures around though

I'm not using Tamriel Rebuilt at the moment. In fact, I'm planning on experimenting with TESFaith to try to get most of the Landmass mods Darkelfguy has featured on his channel working all at once by moving overlapping ones to new locations, which would probably make TR even less practical.

Now that I think about it, I could probably just acquire multiple castles in Ald Vendras, if one isn't big enough, and shuttle between them. It was #3 on Darkelfguy's Top 10 Morrowind Castle Mods and I didn't even consider it until now.

• 2 months later...