Questions about cleaning mods

Venlafaxin

Hey everyone!

So, when it comes to cleaning mods, I've found varying information on the interwebs, and thought I'd ask here.

Do I, or do I not, clean official DLC's?

When I clean ESP's, do I have to load them up seperately, or can I load the entire list in, and clean them from top to bottom?

And what are the risks if I load them all in at once, then clean? Same with sorting masters.

Thanks in advance for any and all help :)

You do clean them, and you do it one at the time.

Sorry, I'm going to take that back. I clicked on quick links while viewing skyrim forums and didn't realize it led to FO. I don't know the answer to your question pertaining to FO.

Edited by NexBeth

I have seen some mods state that they should NOT be cleaned, but those are not common.

before starting to clean esp/esm files, check them all in FO4Edit and make a list of those that need cleaning, then check the read me files and mod pages for those to see if any state that the errors are intentional.

then proceed as the others have mentioned

A mod like mine be can be dangerous to clean, because it could remove cell records that I've added things into. Nothing in the cells are actually edited, just markers I've placed, so the cell shows as an ITM and it might get cleaned.

These are the mods you want to be cautious with.

Now if you ask Mator, he will tell you not to clean official DLC etc, there was a big... Discussion *cough* on afk forums about this, but generally its fine to do so.

I have not seen any mod description that suggested to be cleaned and I read the description of my mods very slowly, right down important information and do exactly what the author suggests.

Also, I read the posts and see what other users have experienced before I download/install any mod, except for those that I've already used in previous play throughs. I have asked questions to authors as well, so I do not know what mod are you trying to clean because I have not seen any so far.

Regarding cleaning DLC's, my advise is : YES ... go ahead and clean all DLC's. The reason why I tell you this is because I use LOOT and this tool is always asking me to clean all DLC's ( when I start a new game ). Just make sure that you DO NOT clean Fallout4.esm ( never ) ... the rest, should be cleaned. Again, LOOT is asking for those files to be cleaned and there should be a reason for this tool to ask that.

You can clean the DLC, but like everything else, make a backup first.

Skyrim DLC needed a ton of them, and SSE pretty much had the exact same things.

Yeah, if LOOT says to do it, then I would. (can't remember if I did for FO4 or not. then again, I've reinstalled so many times....)

:)