Why does everybody hate me?

AleCuneo

I can't find the spoilers board. :confused:

In answer to your question, yes the bartender is there and yes I did create a distraction and disappear with him into the backroom that leads off of the kitchen. He points to the chest telling me my equipment is there and to hurry up as he has to get back before he is missed. However, the chest is empty. I was forced to improvise in order to complete the quest, and as mentioned previously, when returning to the stables to meet Delphine and get my gear back she was not there. I had to go to the bar at Riverwood to find her and that was when everyone began attacking me ...including Delphine. She didn't want the dossiers she had me get at the embassy; she just wanted to kill me and steal my stuff. I'm sure the game is not supposed to go like this but at the same time it must have been programmed into the game by Bethesda because the game is not equipped with its own artifcial intelligence.

The spoiler section is here:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/forum/413-skyrim-spoilers/

Looks like you did the right things. Further confirmation is in the following spoiler block...

Not sure why your equipment wasn't in the chest in the kitchen area. That seems like a glitch, assuming you did give equipment to the guy.

Also, Delphine doesn't appear back at the stables, so that part worked right. You do need to go back to the bar in Riverwood and the equipment she took is in a chest, downstairs in the secret room she takes you to back when you first meet her. Unfortunately, if everyone is attacking you, that must be for the crimes you have.

Have you tried putting your weapon away while you're being attacked ('R' key by default)? That usually makes guards stop attacking and instead they try to arrest you. In which case, if your bounty is low enough you can just pay it off and be done. If they still attack you even though your weapon is sheathed and haven't attacked them back, then something else is wrong and I'm not sure what to do except for trying some of the console commands to remove your bounty, but this might cause other problems if you're not careful.

If none of this helps, you might need to go back to a way early saved game, assuming you have one and try to avoid having bounties against you. If you're picking locks on houses, make sure you go into sneak mode and that you're marked as hidden first. I usually make sure I double check my crime stats too to make sure I got a way with it.

In the absolute worst case, I know it seems like a big deal, but starting a new game is actually fun. I'm on my second play-through and am enjoying it as much, if not more than my first play-through.

Good luck.

Edited by ZvS

I can't find the spoilers board. :confused:

In answer to your question, yes the bartender is there and yes I did create a distraction and disappear with him into the backroom that leads off of the kitchen. He points to the chest telling me my equipment is there and to hurry up as he has to get back before he is missed. However, the chest is empty. I was forced to improvise in order to complete the quest, and as mentioned previously, when returning to the stables to meet Delphine and get my gear back she was not there. I had to go to the bar at Riverwood to find her and that was when everyone began attacking me ...including Delphine. She didn't want the dossiers she had me get at the embassy; she just wanted to kill me and steal my stuff. I'm sure the game is not supposed to go like this but at the same time it must have been programmed into the game by Bethesda because the game is not equipped with its own artifcial intelligence.

The spoiler section is here:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/forum/413-skyrim-spoilers/

Looks like you did the right things. Further confirmation is in the following spoiler block...

Not sure why your equipment wasn't in the chest in the kitchen area. That seems like a glitch, assuming you did give equipment to the guy.

Also, Delphine doesn't appear back at the stables, so that part worked right. You do need to go back to the bar in Riverwood and the equipment she took is in a chest, downstairs in the secret room she takes you to back when you first meet her. Unfortunately, if everyone is attacking you, that must be for the crimes you have.

Have you tried putting your weapon away while you're being attacked ('R' key by default)? That usually makes guards stop attacking and instead they try to arrest you. In which case, if your bounty is low enough you can just pay it off and be done. If they still attack you even though your weapon is sheathed and haven't attacked them back, then something else is wrong and I'm not sure what to do except for trying some of the console commands to remove your bounty, but this might cause other problems if you're not careful.

If none of this helps, you might need to go back to a way early saved game, assuming you have one and try to avoid having bounties against you. If you're picking locks on houses, make sure you go into sneak mode and that you're marked as hidden first. I usually make sure I double check my crime stats too to make sure I got a way with it.

In the absolute worst case, I know it seems like a big deal, but starting a new game is actually fun. I'm on my second play-through and am enjoying it as much, if not more than my first play-through.

Good luck.

I never gave the guy anything. That's probably where it all went wrong. After speaking with Delphine in her Riverwood bar, she told me to meet him in Solitude which I did. He was raving on about being in a hurry and told me to meet him at the party in the Thalmor Embassy once I had my invitation. As Delphine had supplied me with both the party clothes and the invite I figured he had taken care of the equipment. In fact she even went as far as to say she was taking all my gear and would give it back to me when I returned.

When I went to Riverwood to find Delphine I was instantly attacked by the citizens, NOT the guards. Having slaughtered a few plebs I went into the Riverwood bar and was immediately attacked by Dephine's husband who basically forced me to kill him. I descended into Delphine's basement and she attacked me. She was unkillable but I managed to subue her long enough to get my gear back. I also kept the dossiers I had taken from the Embassy.

As she could not be killed I had to escape from the building but as soon as I got outside ALL the guards came after me, presumably for murdering citizens. There were too many and I kept dying so finally I gave up fghting them and did a runner. I then went to Riften to give Madesi all the things he wanted in his quest and everyone in his bar attacked me ...including Madesi. As soon as I exited the bar the guards came for me. I don't think I sheathed my sword but after dying a few times I went back to Winterhold to escape this madness. That's when I started this post.

For the moment I'm going to continue with the game I'm in. If it improves that's great. Sooner or later I will start a new game because I now know how to play it properly and it will give me a chance to invent a new character and play on a more difficult level.

I never gave the guy anything. That's probably where it all went wrong. After speaking with Delphine in her Riverwood bar, she told me to meet him in Solitude which I did. He was raving on about being in a hurry and told me to meet him at the party in the Thalmor Embassy once I had my invitation. As Delphine had supplied me with both the party clothes and the invite I figured he had taken care of the equipment. In fact she even went as far as to say she was taking all my gear and would give it back to me when I returned.

When I went to Riverwood to find Delphine I was instantly attacked by the citizens, NOT the guards. Having slaughtered a few plebs I went into the Riverwood bar and was immediately attacked by Dephine's husband who basically forced me to kill him. I descended into Delphine's basement and she attacked me. She was unkillable but I managed to subue her long enough to get my gear back. I also kept the dossiers I had taken from the Embassy.

As she could not be killed I had to escape from the building but as soon as I got outside ALL the guards came after me, presumably for murdering citizens. There were too many and I kept dying so finally I gave up fghting them and did a runner. I then went to Riften to give Madesi all the things he wanted in his quest and everyone in his bar attacked me ...including Madesi. As soon as I exited the bar the guards came for me. I don't think I sheathed my sword but after dying a few times I went back to Winterhold to escape this madness. That's when I started this post.

For the moment I'm going to continue with the game I'm in. If it improves that's great. Sooner or later I will start a new game because I now know how to play it properly and it will give me a chance to invent a new character and play on a more difficult level.

Okay, I see what happened with your items...

When you first meet the bartender, you need to give him whatever equipment you want him to smuggle in. Anything else you keep on you will be taken by Delphine before you get on the carriage to the embassy.

I'll be curious to see if you're able to find a way to continue the main quest. At some point, you've got to be able to either pay your bounty or do your time in prison. Hopefully then Delphine will let bygones be bygones. :-)

This unjust hatred in Skyrim is unsettling. It happens for no reason and without warning. There are 2 ways to eliminate it.

1 : Go through your previous saves until you find one that was not corrupted with that bug.

2 : Consol your player.setcrimegold 0 "faction id" : Use the collowing as the ID each as required as separate entries

000267E3 (Crime Faction Eastmarch - Windhelm)

00029DB0 (Crime Faction Haafingar - Solitude)

0002816D (Crime Faction Hjaalmarch - Morthal)

0002816C (Crime Faction The Reach - Markarth)

0002816B (Crime Faction The Rift - Riften)

000267EA (Crime Faction - Whiterun)

00028170 (Crime Faction - Winterhold)

There are other factions easily looked up. It drive me CRazy crAzy craZY when these kinds of issues pop up. Remember you may have killed a Quest person during your egress out of the linching, so it might be better to backtrack to a prior save.

Edited by Brandy_123

That is not supposed to happen. Something went wrong somewhere, somehow. I'd try loading an old save and doing it again.

And by the way the previous poster is correct. Each hold tracks it's crime separately so just because guards are attacking you in one major city they should not attack you in other cities. Now if you go up and talk to them that may be different.

When you talk to Delphine in Solitude, you have to give her the equipment you want to use in the embassy. Malborn puts it in the chest. I made that mistake the first time through.

You clearly killed/attacked innocents to get people to kos. The thefts also made the guards put a bounty on you. You should not have been attacked in Riverwood unless you committed crimes there previously.

Crime and punishment is a huge WTF in this game. Nothing makes any sense at all. They can track whether you've stolen each particular lockpick, tomato, and even coins themselves, but they are extremely politic and lenient with you. All you need to get away with murder is to pay a small bounty. :blink:

@ Brandy_123

Thanks for those codes. They will be a major help.

Update for everyone else...

I went back to Riften and got arrested. Sheathed my sword and agreed to pay my fine.

From thereon in I have not had any problems in Riften. Windhelm going well too.

Haven't been back to Riverwood yet so I don't know if Delphine is stll mad at me.

Incidentally, while in Riften I went looking for Esbern in the Rat Warrens and had to kill

a few Thalmor soldiers. It appears Elewen has put a contract out on me. Well she will

just have to join the queue because it looks as though half of Skyrim has a contract on

me, even some Ninjas and I have yet to meet a single Japanese character in the game! :no:

AleCuneo, I think you are extremely paranoid. You are not all that known to be the villain you think you are.....

Update : I just recieved this in my game from a Thalmor Courier. I think You're right, they are out to get you! :biggrin:

Edited by Brandy_123

Can't be me, I'm a girl. :P

BTW, am I the only one that goes insane whenever I'm using Clairvoyance and a guard says "Hey, WATCH THE MAGIC!!"? Something inside me snaps and I cannot resist attacking him. Ditto "No shelalligagging!" or whatever the word is.

And why do so many characters have Swedish accents? I've nothing against Swedes (except for Robbaz the toilet-mouth king) but it seems strange considering the game environment. There again, the children have American accents as do most of the women while other characters are decidedly British. Quite a mixed bag! Would be fun to have a rasta-man accent. :thumbsup:

I like the language used by the Falmers. They clearly never attended school and prefer to just vomit on you. :facepalm:

Edited by AleCuneo

In this case I did nothing other than rip off that Elwen slag in the Thalmor Assembly which resulted in the whole of Skyrim wanting to kill me. They can't do that, I'm dragonborn for christ's sake! I'm there to save the miserable sods from total annhilation by gigantic flying lizards with bad breath

I had a similar incident but not with the Thalmor Embassy quest, going off what happened to me. I'm wondering about your comments above, the whole point of that quest is to go in, sneak about looking for evidence, rescue prisoner and escape out the back way, not declare war and kill everyone in there. Did you attack and kill Elwen and the other Thalmor? If so that is probably what sparked off the everyone now hates you reaction and the only way to avoid the fall out from your actions is load an older save and do the quest again. In my case someone completely unexpected attacked me amongst all the others, when I killed them everyone went back to business as usual, I still have no idea why killing that one person ended the whole affair, no bounties, no comments, nothing.

Every man and his dog has people putting bounties and contracts on you for no apparent reason, that's just part of the game.