Performance Problem, Low FPS Drops with GTX1080ti

kammi

check your fallout4.ini and custom ini for the line bUseCominedObjects=0

if you put that in when installing a mod then forgot to remove the line, it will destroy your fps in built up areas.

if it is there change the 0 to a 1 and it should fix it.

if that line is not in your ini files then I'm sorry I couldn't help

@mighty zog

already tried this with my modded game install. if the line was on 0 or 1 didn´t change anything. Right now i have a clean install, only vanilla settings, vanilla ini and no mods. still heavy drops on maxed out settings. what really should not be the case.

@sopmac

well sanctuary is heavy build up, (altough its much less now that i have no mods).

yes all mods were removed, fallout4 completely deleted, all folders wich were left deleted by hand, registry cleaned. there was no evidence of fallout 4 afterwards ;-) now completely new install, no mods.

just did some monitoring (there is a little tiny increase compared to my modded game before but still not satisfying:

bulit up sanctuary:

- can trigger drops to 27fps on certain spots views (before clean install it was 24fps)

GPU: 61% max

CPU: 77% max

RAM: 5,2 GB / 16GB max

VRAM: 6,8GB / 11.2GB max

no the really strange thing: walked around and found an intensive vanilla place (no workshop area)

- could trigger drops to 45fps (wich would be totally ok)

GPU: 100% max (so there the GPU was limiting but i get 45FPS????? )

CPU: same

RAM: same

VRAM: same

i am clueless... :-/

Hi

I run the game on 2 computers.

My old Sandy bridge(i7 2600k) rig plays the game nice and smooth at 60fps everywhere with a GTX 1080 at 3440 X 1440 resolution. The inis are vanilla except for the wide screen stuff.

My Skylake(i7 6700k) rig with 2 x GTX 980ti at 4k resolution was not smooth with lots of drops.

Both computers play the same game(saves) with the same mods & when I set both rigs at the same resolution(2560 X 1440) the sandy bridge was totally smooth & the Skylake was not. I got the same results when I removed one of the 980tis.

Both computers use the same make SSD & the Skylake rig always won SSD bench tests.

I came to the conclusion that the game engine didn't like my newer hardware. I started trying ini tweaks & that fixed my game. Now I have 2 computer that can do 60fps everywhere even with using a mod like Endless Warfare.

This is what I added to the Fallout4.ini

uInterior Cell Buffer=12
uExterior Cell Buffer=144

iPreloadSizeLimit=262144000

These lines don't do a thing to my Sandybridge rig, but they are essential to my Skylake rig for smooth game play.

Frame delivery with Nvida drivers can causes pauses in the game. To control it I use adaptive vsync.

Drives also cause random stutter/lag in interiors. If you get this, Save, reboot, load & the lag will be gone.

Driver updates have caused a lot of performance issues that seem to only effect this game & Skyrim SE. I have had to roll back drivers several times for these games.

I run Godrays at ultra, they look great at 4k & 3440 X 1440. The drop is minimal with a powerful rig. On both of mine it is around 3fps. Shadows are the killer in this game & I keep them on medium.

Later

Hey Jones177,

Very interesting .... there is a saying that only by observing closely you get wiser and become a genius .... you found out what the problem is by observing and comparing both rigs ... congrats ..

so far my rig ( Nvidia 1070, 16gb RAM, i7-6700 and SSD ) is giving me good results, 60 fps almost all the time except in the city and certain areas ... but I do not have shadows off but I will and see if I can at least, keep my fps at 60 ... in certain areas, I am getting 61 and sometimes 62 as well but for a few seconds only ... don't really care to get more than 60 but to keep it steady ( as much as I can ) at 60 fps.

What is your opinion about Ambient Oclusion, should be turned off or not ? Does it improve fps stability or just the shadows are a killer in your opinion ?

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Hey there, sry for my not responding. was kinda very busy last month. just a tip if you have a new graphic card (or maybe even when you update drivers). i forgot to completely delete the old drivers and just did overwrite the old ones (980ti -> 1080ti). i just used the nvidia installer which i thought would get rid of all old drivers. thought wrong (at least thats what i have read) i then used a tool called "display driver uninstaller" DDU to completely remove all display drivers, then installed the newest again. i did get quite a noticable fps gain, although i am still not satisfied ;-) maybe that helps some of you.

• 5 months later...

Hey!

I know this is an old thread but just recently I went from a 980Ti to a 1080ti as well and I used DDU as well for a clean driver install!

I am absolutely disgusted , Fallout 4 performance is down at least 40% to 60 % and I didn't change any game settings, anything actually except the drivers and the video card. :ohmy:

Since then I have spent nearly 4 days trying to find out what the hell is going on, searched countless forums, tried several earlier drivers and I give up!

I had seen several people with 1080ti's reporting issues on my Ultra Interior Lighting mod and now I know why!

:down: nvidia!

I had similar performance issue when I went from a GTX 980 ti to a GTX 1080.

I did lots of lurking on the Geforce forums & found that most of the performance drops people were experiencing with the high end 1000 series cards were due to power delivery.

I have a GTX 1080 ti & it is on a 1000 watt PSU. In a few months I will be purchasing another 1080 ti & it will be on a 860 watt PSU.

My issues with my GTX 1080 tuned out to be driver related that only effected Fallout 4 & Skyrim SE. Both games were unplayable with lag & stutter. After almost 6 months of the game being unplayable a driver update fixed it.

Fortunately I had my rig that had my 2 GTX 980 tis in it that played the game flawlessly at 4k resolution.

Another perk of having 2 computers able to run games is it allows me to test hardware. My GTX 980 tis were on a Z170 motherboard. My GTX 1080 was on a P67 motherboard. When I put the 1080 in the Z170 motherboard the lag/stutter went away.

My GTX 1080 ti is not without issues. After installing it, Windows(7) freezes if it idles too long. This is annoying but since the 1080 ti has performed as advertised I will put up with it.

My 1000 series cards do have issues with weather mods. True Storms turned my game pink & Vivid Weathers rain made powerlines oscillate.

Later

• 2 weeks later...

That's exactly my issue. I'm using a 1080ti, too. The game runs at constant 60 FPS on BethINI's ultra preset except when I'm standing in front of my settlements. Then the framerate drops down to 40 while the hardware is less than 50% stressed. I'm glad I'm not the only one but it still drives me nuts. Skyrim SE on the other hand runs at constant 60FPS with everything maxed 4k textures, ENB, etc.

Edited by DankRafft