Issues with FO4 and GTX 1070

pickyourpoison

Not sure if this is where it needs to be, but this is indeed a PC gaming issue.

I recently went from a GTX 970 to a 1070. I haven't tested many demanding games so far; I mainly bought it for FO4 and Skyrim/SE mod builds. With FO4 I expected issues from Godrays, which I'm fine with. But I'm getting random freezing when loading new cells that is driving me bonkers. This definitely didn't happen with the 970. Whenever I walk/run/sprint into a new area, I get about three freezes, one after the other, and then all is well. FPS drops as low as 2fps during this...problem. GPU and CPU temperatures seem normal, with GPU around 56-60 celsius and the CPU at around 65-69 celsius. I've tried a multitude of things, but clearly not the *right* thing. Also recently uninstalled drivers with DDU and reinstalled. Tried twice.

I haven't yet tried to reposition the GPU, and I have a toddler with me right now so that will have to wait. I'm a little new to the world of PC gaming (at least the hardware part), so there could be something really obvious I'm missing. I haven't seen anyone else with quite this problem, though.

My specs:

CPU: i7-4790k CPU @ 4.00GHz

RAM: 16GB RAM

MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X-SLI

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC

Edited by pickyourpoison

Did you install updated drivers for the new card? (and not the ones from the disc.... drivers have probably updated several times since that disc was pressed.)

Might also want to rename the .ini files for Skyrim/FO4 as well, then start the game launcher, and have it re-detect your hardware.

And you can do both with a toddler on your lap. :D

Haha, yes I can :)

I did indeed install the updated drivers instead of using the disc. I have already reinstalled FO4 and deleted the old inis/redetected hardware. I have also tried various ini settings from various sources, and tested a few different vsync settings...I'm at quite a loss. I'm starting to wonder if the GPU itself is messed up somehow.

This may be related to something I found recently. I found a post that said the 372.70 drivers fixed the long load screens on W10. Tried it and it worked. BUT, I had to upgrade to W10 Pro to keep Windows from updating drivers. Not cheap. Hey, I was on a mission from God. I downdated drivers late in the evening and played for hours with no problems. Next day Windows auto-updated drivers and after that drivers auto-updated immediately. As in instantly. Takes me a few minutes waiting for the update to complete even on current drivers. Must be saved somewhere. If you are not on 10 then this might not be relevent. 4790K and 980TI.

Hi

Use Fallout Performance Monitor to see what is causing the pauses. Unlike other monitors it measures I/O as well.

The freezes sound like an I/O issue. My i7 6700k/1080ti rig gets it but my i7 2600k/1080 rig doesn't. They use the same brand SSD. Some ini tweaks fixed it.

If the CPU, GPU & I/O are steady, it could be a texture issue. Neither of my rigs like the high Res pack at all even with the recommended specs.

Drivers have been a big issue for me with this game. After purchasing my GTX 1080 last year the game was unplayable with heavy stutter for the first 3 months. I had to wait for a driver to fix it. The only other game that was effected was Skyrim SE. I still sometimes get heavy stutter in interiors caused by drivers. Saving, rebooting & reloading fixes it.

To keep things running smooth on booth rigs I use adaptive vsync. In the setting I have shadows set to medium. Godrays on ultra.

Later

This may be related to something I found recently. I found a post that said the 372.70 drivers fixed the long load screens on W10. Tried it and it worked. BUT, I had to upgrade to W10 Pro to keep Windows from updating drivers. Not cheap. Hey, I was on a mission from God. I downdated drivers late in the evening and played for hours with no problems. Next day Windows auto-updated drivers and after that drivers auto-updated immediately. As in instantly. Takes me a few minutes waiting for the update to complete even on current drivers. Must be saved somewhere. If you are not on 10 then this might not be relevent. 4790K and 980TI.

I'm on W7 at the moment, since W10 has had so many issues with..stuff in general. Thank you, though, hopefully this will help someone else.

Hi

Use Fallout Performance Monitor to see what is causing the pauses. Unlike other monitors it measures I/O as well.

The freezes sound like an I/O issue. My i7 6700k/1080ti rig gets it but my i7 2600k/1080 rig doesn't. They use the same brand SSD. Some ini tweaks fixed it.

If the CPU, GPU & I/O are steady, it could be a texture issue. Neither of my rigs like the high Res pack at all even with the recommended specs.

Drivers have been a big issue for me with this game. After purchasing my GTX 1080 last year the game was unplayable with heavy stutter for the first 3 months. I had to wait for a driver to fix it. The only other game that was effected was Skyrim SE. I still sometimes get heavy stutter in interiors caused by drivers. Saving, rebooting & reloading fixes it.

To keep things running smooth on booth rigs I use adaptive vsync. In the setting I have shadows set to medium. Godrays on ultra.

Later

Thank you for replying, I will have to test this after I get home from a trip. My flight leaves tomorrow morning, so I'll post my results as soon as I can after I return :) This looks like a good lead.

Are you modding? I had the exact same cell load stutters and fixed it by starting over with more than half my mods disabled. Ini tweaks didn't help me. Fallout is the hardest game I have ever played to get stable. Been playing Beth games since Oblivion came out. And I have never seen a game that can give bugs to just only one or a few like Fallout 4.

Are you modding? I had the exact same cell load stutters and fixed it by starting over with more than half my mods disabled. Ini tweaks didn't help me. Fallout is the hardest game I have ever played to get stable. Been playing Beth games since Oblivion came out. And I have never seen a game that can give bugs to just only one or a few like Fallout 4.

I am! However I started from scratch once and that hadn't helped, though a second or third time never hurt anybody. I also just uninstalled/updated graphics drivers with DDU for the third time, and that helped a little bit, but freezing still occurs.

I thought for a bit that BTInteriors was the issue, but after disabling/uninstalling and testing, nothing changed. I am seeing I/O spikes in FPM, but I can't get the in-game counters to show so I'm not exact on the numbers.

I'm hoping to learn how to correct I/O issues, because that isn't something I know much about.

I can't say for sure if the mods are the issue since I'm running almost the same build I ran with my gtx 970, with the exception of Horizon, but It'd be nice to rule out again.