News sites report BaldursGate.com is back up and something is stiring

galenwolf

I wanted to play BG1 before playing BG2.

Rumours suggest that this might not be a HD remake but a port to Macs/iPads. Disaster if that's the case.

Would Bioware open a thread for that?

Hmm? What do you mean? The thread on the Social Network was started by users of the site, not BioWare. And the rights to BG belong to Atari as far as I know.

Ah....well they were asking someone on there why it was opened....but why if that is all it was would a new one get opened? I don't hang around the bioware place much so I am not in the KNOW. :rolleyes: Just seems like someone knows something.

Rumours suggest that this might not be a HD remake but a port to Macs/iPads. Disaster if that's the case.

Would Bioware open a thread for that?

No...

But, could see them refreshing some things just for porting it to Origins as a multi-platform re-release with some minor elements (online play capabilities) refreshed without actually adjusting the graphics or making any additions to the game. What better way to sucker people onto their network than to offer a long-time favorite title through their distribution platform at a low price?

As said, I don't think BioWare would be able to even if they wanted to, as the rights for D&D fell back to WotC along time ago and they were licensed to Atari, not BioWare. WotC are about to release ruleset 5 so I don't think they'll be wanting a major release of a game using ruleset 2 any time soon!

The whole point of DAO was for BioWare to have their own IP rather than license the D&D ruleset from WotC, so this has absolutely nothing to do with BioWare at all. The only thing it has to do with them is there's a thread on their forum about it ;)

I'm pretty sure you already know this, but I will state it just in case so you are not missing out:

TUTU is a mod that lets you play BG1 in the BG2 engine. So you can play BG1 in a much higher resolution than before.

Personally I think that Planescape had the best graphics of all the infinity games. Unfortunately it also had much less VOICED dialogue in comparison to BG. I usually dont care if a game has 100% of the dialogue with voice overs, but a little does help the pace of the game. Sigh, why are games like these so rare nowadays? (and its not me just being nostalgic, I actually only played BG after the release of DA:O (when I noticed that my computer back then couldnt run the game, I looked in the past of Biowares history, and played KOTOR, NWN, jade empire, and finally BG).

BioWare doesn't own the rights to BG and NWN, so you can't expect them to have a say over the game. BioWare's latest task is to create new IPs which allows them freedom to work around and JE is an example of that.

• 3 weeks later...