Seperate but Equal: MW and OB segregation on nexus?

ReverendKnots

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Morrowind and Oblivion should be given their own nexus subdomains?

We are currently working on getting Morrowind support in to NMM, at which point we are going to separate TESNexus and have Morrowind Nexus and Oblivion Nexus. TESNexus will cease to exist, but will redirect to Oblivion Nexus. Until then, things will remain the same.

Excellent, thank you :)

I'm curious as to why you're doing NMM support for Morrowind first though.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to say one important thing : Morrowind it's a gme who is "in live" whith an important "family". Yes it's not like Morrowind is a new game but the people who loves Morrowind wants new mods. The mods are the reason for the states of "game in live" of Morrowind. I don't like the word "segregation" but Morrowind is a game on is own and it's only natural to make a distinction enter Morrowind and Oblivion.

Thank you !

Edited by malhuin

We are currently working on getting Morrowind support in to NMM, at which point we are going to separate TESNexus and have Morrowind Nexus and Oblivion Nexus. TESNexus will cease to exist, but will redirect to Oblivion Nexus. Until then, things will remain the same.

Excellent, thank you :)

They will both be up at the same time if I am correct. Oblivion has been in the front forever and if these sites are put up any seconds apart, you can expect Oblivion to be first. But they should both be up within the same day at the most, if I am reading correctly. Now if you are talking about TESNexus before other Nexus sites, it might not be first. Who knows?

A new and better search facility would be a big advance

I tend to find people who haven't used the Nexus much don't seem to be aware of our advanced search. If you know of it, can you explain how the search could be made any better!?

A link to the advanced search placed close to the regular search would be easier to find and a more logical place than the link hidden in the files dropdown menu ?

Here are a couple of areas that could be improved i have only spent a few seconds testing so by no means exhaustively tested.

1. You currently host 2 versions of Korana's Solstheim castle mod,both a German version and an English version.If you type Solstheim castle into either of your search facilities you will get a return on only the German version. If you locate the download page for Korana's mod Compendium you can see the English versionclearly labelled and complete with its own download link yet the search engine cannot detect it. I haven't checked but i suspect it doesn't detect any of the mods listed on that page ?

2. If you click on the 'new models' tag in the advanced search you get 40 pages of results, yet on the first page only 2 contain new models the other 8 are texture replacers assuming the same 20% success rate is consistent across all pages i would be expecting to trawl through 320 junk results in order to identify the 80-ish valid results.The same set of results are returned if i click on the New Textures tag which turn is no better than clicking directly on the new models and textures folder.Following a minimal amount of testing the impression i am left with is that the tag search feature serves no useful purpose and likely to waste the time of anyone trying to use it.

They will both be up at the same time if I am correct. Oblivion has been in the front forever and if these sites are put up any seconds apart, you can expect Oblivion to be first. But they should both be up within the same day at the most, if I am reading correctly. Now if you are talking about TESNexus before other Nexus sites, it might not be first. Who knows?

Actually, I was wondering why the web sites had to wait for the Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) to support Morrowind first, not which web site would be first.

Edit: Chopped excessive quoting.

Edited by Poulscath

A link to the advanced search placed close to the regular search would be easier to find and a more logical place than the link hidden in the files dropdown menu ?

Here are a couple of areas that could be improved i have only spent a few seconds testing so by no means exhaustively tested.

1. You currently host 2 versions of Korana's Solstheim castle mod,both a German version and an English version.If you type Solstheim castle into either of your search facilities you will get a return on only the German version. If you locate the download page for Korana's mod Compendium you can see the English versionclearly labelled and complete with its own download link yet the search engine cannot detect it. I haven't checked but i suspect it doesn't detect any of the mods listed on that page ?

2. If you click on the 'new models' tag in the advanced search you get 40 pages of results, yet on the first page only 2 contain new models the other 8 are texture replacers assuming the same 20% success rate is consistent across all pages i would be expecting to trawl through 320 junk results in order to identify the 80-ish valid results.The same set of results are returned if i click on the New Textures tag which turn is no better than clicking directly on the new models and textures folder.Following a minimal amount of testing the impression i am left with is that the tag search feature serves no useful purpose and likely to waste the time of anyone trying to use it.

I investigated the Solstheim Castle situation and the site's search facilities are working exactly like one would expect. Not even Google could give you any better result searching only by title and the only mod in the database with Castle Solstheim in its title being the DV!

As you mentioned there's some other mod titled something with Korana, I simply searched for Castle Solstheim "in the description" and got both. It's a usage error, not a malfunction. The site can impossibly "guess" what mods are included in a compilation.

The tag system isn't as useful as it could be, but only because it's 100% relying on user input. Roughly 80% of mods were never tagged by anybody at all, and as such the tag search will not be of use to find them. Mods being "wrongly" tagged, so results don't match search criteria anymore, only the user base can be blamed for. Nobody else is responsible for tagging them correctly, not even the author, as it isn't a requirement for uploading your mods. This is exactly the same as when you enter wrong or misleading "meta" information for your websites. Not even Google can do anything against this then and just spit out wrong results. Happens far too often when you search there.

As for how to improve any of those points... well, there were some discussions in the past, again and again, but so far nothing ever came of it.

The only point I can agree with is the lack of an "advanced" link right next to the "search" button, so it's easier to find it, simply because that's where one's used to search for it... but that's it.