Seperate but Equal: MW and OB segregation on nexus?

ReverendKnots

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Morrowind and Oblivion should be given their own nexus subdomains?

...since no one saw the true meaning in my post, I'll re-iterate it differently. There are many anime based mods in oblivion. I never stated that no skill was required to make them. I did say that I never see anything other than those on the front page. That isn't right in my opinion. If there was maybe a whole different section for morrowind for top MW mods, I'd be happy with that. A whole new site is even better but hey, as long as they are separated better, I'm fine with that. And PLEASE!!! I did NOT start comparing the games. Someone else stated there was a visual difference. Not if the pic contains the best visual mods. That's what I meant. I also stated that I really enjoyed some oblivion mods. Therefore I don't get where you saw that I said that Oblivion modders have no skill. Just know, when I get pissed, I'm worse than Dirnae. So expect this in the future if there are stupid posts in topics I am active in. I have zero tolerance for discrimination and prejudice.

[EDITED]

Let me say one thing. I started with Oblivion. Modded it first. Really loved the mods. Get me in a discussion with someone dissing Oblivion, I get the same way. So DON'T claim that I don't like Oblivion or it's mods. But covering Morrowind up with it is just insane. Give them both front pages at the least. I still like Morrowind better though. So please. If I don't say something specifically in a post, don't claim I said it. BTW, if you see me on bethsoft, you will see the real side if me. Don't judge my character by this post. I tend to get riled up here anyway since both games are discussed here...

Edited by 0RyuHayabusa0

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryu, making sweeping generalizations about the two communities is foolish. I'm glad you like the idea, but remember that there are good and bad modders on both sides, and that just because you don't like a style of content doesn't mean there isn't merit in the skill it took to make.

I'd like to avoid this turning into a "Morrowind vs Oblivion" thread. I think all of us probably play and like both games and that's not the issue here. The issue is that MW mods have low visibility the way things are now and I would think nexus staff would be interested in filling the vacuum being left by less reliable sites like PES and ElricM.

It seems that the vast majority of people that have seen and voted in this thread agree that something should be done at some point, so obviously there is interest in it. Obviously websites aren't a democracy and it doesn't matter how popular an idea is if the people upstairs don't think the idea is worth the effort in implementing, but at least one can say that this kind of change would be welcomed by the userbase.

Yes, I certainly do. Oblivion is great, but I mod for Morrowind and the way Morrowind mods are jumbled together with Oblivion mods has led me to largely ignore uploading my mods to Nexus. I don't think I'm alone in this either - the total number of Morrowind releases on PES significantly exceeds those on Nexus (something like 7700 versus 2349), which is a bit of a shame. The same appears true of the number of recent releases as well. Given this, it is not hard to see why Morrowind modding might seem a little "dead" from a Nexus perspective, when it clearly is not.

Of course you could use the tag search and set it for morrowind.

http://tes.nexusmods.com/downloads/tagsearch.php

Yes, you could, but why should you have to? I am relatively bright, but it took me way too long to figure out how to see only Morrowind mods on Nexus. It's an entirely seperate game! Besides, a tag search for Morrowind turns up 765 of the supposedly 2349 Morrowind mods shown under "Categories", and doesn't list the most recent first. If I click on "Latest files" there is nothing to tell me that "HiRez Armors- Native Styles" is a new Morrowind mod. Oh, if you click on "Files Today" or "Files Recently", there is a tiny icon to let you know a mod is for Morrowind, but then you are forced to wade through endless Oblivion mods to find the Morrowind ones. And so on, and so on. "Categories" might work, if only there was an "All Morrowind Mods" category. Would a button somewhere up front leading to that really be so much trouble? Might be a good addition to other Nexus sites too.

But really, a completely seperate site would be great. You could actually see Morrowind mods in the "Top Lists" section for example.

Edited by tronvillain

I would love to see this go through. It would be convenient for Morrowind players to easily find what they need without sifting through another game's material, and it will probably encourage the addition of Morrowind mods. It would also improve publicity. There's a good few incredible Morrowind mods here that have virtually no publicity; mostly because TES Nexus is primarily Oblivion based and most Morrowind users look to other sites first (like PES.)

It'd be great to see Morrowind getting more love up in here, and having its own subdomain would certainly help that. And if the Morrowind community does indeed thrive here, it'll be another safe place for many wonderful mods to be stored.

You know, in the event that another big site may mysteriously die. It could happen.

SNIP

Calm down. I prefer Morrowind myself, but Oblivion is a great game too, and has a lot of truly amazing mods. This is not a Morrowind versus Oblivion debate, since those are always silly to get into - you can compare some aspects objectively, but ultimately it is a purely subjective preference, like vanilla or chocolate. We are just saying that it would be great for Morrowind to not be quite so eclipsed by Oblivion on the Nexus, moved over to the side a little to make it a little more visible as something seperate eh?

There. I edited the post to the true meaning. I don't know where you guys got some of the things you said, but that post now explains what I meant and why that post happened. I hoped to get here before anyone saw it... :wallbash: *huff* Jeez, I hate when that happens... :ohdear: :sad:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1363941-planetelderscrolls-will-no-longer-support-new-files-from-the-1st-of-may/page__st__60

Check post 79. Could be promising.

Edited by 0RyuHayabusa0

APY has since posted in the official forum thread averting some fears.

It's not uncommon knowledge that IGN sites are dying a somewhat slow and painful death, not through any fault of the people trying to support the community (like APY) but because IGN are no longer supporting them with any technical staff. So no code updates. No site fixes. No new features. No new designs. Etc.. It's sad but unless we see a change in stance from IGN we'll be witness to the slow and painful death of the IGN planet and community sites.

We are currently working on getting Morrowind support in to NMM, at which point we are going to separate TESNexus and have Morrowind Nexus and Oblivion Nexus. TESNexus will cease to exist, but will redirect to Oblivion Nexus. Until then, things will remain the same.

The voice of reason is for a separate site for Morrowind from Oblivion to provide better visibility for the modders, when TESNexus started out there was only Morrowind, and the natural place for Oblivion was TESNexus, however the modding scene has grown and the original tree is entangled with it's brother, now a gardener would see this and separate the two to allow both to flourish as should be done here.... lest we see fewer and fewer mods for Morrowind because of the visibility problems, saying it's too late and a dollar short is to encourage stagnation and the eventual reluctance of people using the Morrowind tag.

There are thousands of mods for Morrowind on PES but I stopped using the site a while ago as the search and organisation of the site became difficult, Elric Melinbone site has 3000+ mods for Morrowind but no recent updates, so the only place I find for new MW mods is here and as Buddah pointed out I can search for Morrowind mods... albeit low visibility.

So my point, Robin as you're making great changes to the structure of the Nexus Family, how about giving Grandad a bed of his own?

The above post was written with no help from 'google' and may contain emotionally driven bias! :biggrin:

Edit:

Robin you posted that while I was spell checkin...

Edited by Saggaris

Agreed. Especially since the Morrowind files take up such a small section of the domain as is. Planet Elder Scrolls has plenty of Morrowind mods, if you are worried about getting lost in the so-called "jumble" here, you don't have to upload them here; no one is making you. And as micalov said, its a day late and a dollar short. Plus, it only takes you a couple seconds more to figure out that the mod you are looking at is for MW or OB, so I don't think its gonna be all that detrimental to you to use your brain every once in a while :)

The lack of visibility for Morrowind mods and difficulties in navigating the site are the reasons that i have never considered Tesnexus to be a suitable site for hosting my mods.Evidently i am not the only one who thinks that way else the Morrowind mod section would be much larger and more popular than it is. As things stand i only ever visit this site to download mods i can't get elsewhere because i download a lot of mods and will always prefer to download from sites that offer the least hassle.

User friendliness is of critical importance to the success of a website such as this and there is good reason why PES is the Premier site for Morrowind mods after all. Whilst i would welcome a new Morrowind only nexus i would appreciate a new layout and focus on user friendliness else i for one will not like the new site for same reasons i am reluctant to use the current one. A new and better search facility would be a big advance, don't Google do a free search engine specifically for embedding into websites such as this ? I am sure they did and was always surprised that websites struggled with crappy search facilities when they could install a Google engine for free.

Regardless of my personal preferences , i am glad this site exists and hope that the new one will be infinitely more successful.

Edited by Roberticus

User friendliness is of critical importance to the success of a website such as this and there is good reason why PES is the Premier site for Morrowind mods after all.

More likely to do with the fact PES hosted mods, as Morrowind Summit, since Morrowind's launch in 2001 and we didn't start hosting mods en mass until 2004. By your argument the place to go for Oblivion mods would be PES as well.

A new and better search facility would be a big advance

I tend to find people who haven't used the Nexus much don't seem to be aware of our advanced search. If you know of it, can you explain how the search could be made any better!?